Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
New Zealand Conservation Management Group
MOTUIHE PROJECT
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - 21 days?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

21 days?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zigzag
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: 21 days?

hi everyone.

i have a pair who has laid their fist egg on the 13th it has now been 22 days since the fist egg was laid. i was wondering when it would be expected for the eggs to hatch. i was not sure if it would start after all the eggs were laid or after the second egg which is what im going off. so hopefully there is one tomorrow since she was laying every second day.

thanks james
hilly
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:06 am    Post subject:

Hi James,

Kakarikis or for that matter most parrots don't commence incubation from the time they lay their first egg, some wont start to sit untill their third or fourth egg, it is allways wise to count from the last egg and still give them a few days grace because if by chance the hen got spooked off of her eggs during the night at some stage and the eggs went cold for a while they can still hatch but they may take longer. Hope this helps good luck cheers Jenny
zigzag
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject:

hi everyone

i have been doing the babby dance all morning <v>. I have my first cinamon RF babby he is so cute. i cant belive how much fur was on him. kakariki babbys are difinatly the cutest babbies i have ever seen.

james
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject:

lmao lmao
you are addicted thumb
Badnews is, that they have Alcohic and drug centers for the addiction, they dont for ppl like us... Laughing

How does the hen react when u check the nest? Swear at u, or just wanders up the other end till u have gone?
And does Dad sort of 'Stand on Gaurd' but just watches you careful?
SWhen they get older, as u see in my atavar, Dad would fed them when I held them up to him.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject:

hi steps

well i now have two babbies Whistle. the second one is alot smaller but he seems to be in good health so far. I have been checking the nest daily even before they had even mated emb. They both have never shown any sing of destress they just cary on doing what they would normally be doing. The male does seem to keep an eye on me but he always does when im in the cage anyway.

when should i start handling the babbies?. should there always be food for them to eat 24hrs?. i have now been giving them a bit more seed than normal as i dont want the babbies to miss out on any feeding. I have noticed she realy likes meal worms so she has been getting them daily is this ok?

thanks
james
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject:

veggies, fruit, and protien (yep meal worms, a cooked chicken bone, chop bones but the lean parts, maybe a couple small cat biskets..as per the thread on feeding...
Dice up veggies about pea size, feed morning and evening, the amount just watch what they havnt eaten by the next feed.
Seed...well Kakariki will eat 2 to 3 times veggie stuff than seed.
Dont touch them till pin feathers appear, and dont force then to stand.
Further info in older threads
See seach button above and another in the quick search block to the left

Good to see you have their trust, makes things easy and ibteresting when can interact with them
Steps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: