Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
MOTUIHE PROJECT
New Zealand Conservation Management Group

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Site Google Rankings
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Site Google Rankings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> General Non Kakariki Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Site Google Rankings

Out of curiosity I have run a Google search engine ranking for our site from the most popular search parameters used (from site refers logs)
This is limited to the 1st 2 pages (top 20) of Google (10sites/page) except those marked "manual"
Results are:
Code:
Search Parameter       Current Rank        Best Rank

kakariki                  1                1
kakariki DoC              7                7   
kakariki breeding        39   (manual search)   
kakariki cage            41   (manual search)   
kakariki care             1                1   
kakariki feeding         44   (manual search)   
kakariki Breeding care    7                1      
kakariki mutation         1                1
kakariki hybrid           1                1   
kakariki blue             0                0   
kakariki food            94   (manual search)   
kakarikis                 5                5   
kakariki diet            10                7   
kakariki aviaries        10               10   
kakariki aviary          12               12   
kakariki vet              4                4   
kakariki sick             1                1   
kakariki conservation     3                3   
kakariki for sale        39   (manual search)

From our site 'refers logs' other search engines rate our site much higher (Google being the lowest) on all search parameters, usually in the top 3. looksmart, yahoo, Jeeves, msn, ninemsn, lycos, dog pile, ntworld, AOL to name a few.
We do have a problem with most search engines being able to crawl other areas of the site including Google. Something in my coding is stopping this and I don't know enough to fix....yet wall Fixing would have a dramatic effect.
As it is, I am very surprised and impressed at our overall rankings. Disappointed in a couple (breeding), compared to most other sites that rank higher, we have much more info. The others that do have top info are all members sites which is very pleasing.

Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject:

Update on well (or not well) the site is doing with search engine popularity
Search words across the top. Scan set to top 30 sites only (usually 1st 3 pages)

SEOrankingb.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  17.64 KB
 Viewed:  381 Time(s)

SEOrankingb.jpg

SEOrankinga.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  17.98 KB
 Viewed:  392 Time(s)

SEOrankinga.jpg

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject:

As far as i know about google and other search engines, if you have a file called ROBOTS.TXT in the site HOME directory, and put in some parameters, the following site might be of help to you, explains most parameters that search engine spider crawlers use, so the site can get more hits on engines.

It also has parameters to stop parts of the site being crawled by googlebot and other engines.

http://www.searchengineworld.com/robots/robots_tutorial.htm

Hope this is of help to you, and heres hoping kakariki.net hits the top in all search engines Wink Wink
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject:

Yes very much so but just that is more or less useless, its a combo of ALL of the following and coding hast to be done more or less in this order:
Meta tags, Site description, Site title, keyword/key phrase placement and optimisation, Alt tag optimisation, url rewrites (GT), robots.txt, Link exchange (which if done right one doesn't need to submit to search engines),Google site map (updated each week)
All of the above is completed
Removal of search engine dead internal links in forums (working on that) And Portal (almost done but cant get some of the code to work.) I also need to do code clean up to speed the loading time...Im not a coder, I do need someone who knows code to tidy stuff up for us...PLEASE!!!

The above is the 'mechanical' stuff...one can do all that and a site still not get anywhere...IF it does it will very quickly drop to.
WHAT DOES and most IMPORTANT to get it up there, and we ARE, is the quality of the sites content that keeps ppl returning, and the site design being user friendly. From that the site becomes active, with members active and returning visitors because it has something for them.
Once that happens the site climbs fast.
Most site Admins think/use gimmicks, fancy graphics, high membership, huge page hits are a measure of a successful site. These are very temporary things that have a very small and short effect...and a direction we have never taken from day 1.

Quote:
Hope this is of help to you, and heres hoping kakariki.net hits the top in all search engines

We are angel thumb

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:19 am    Post subject:

Dear Steptoe,
I'm not kakariki's owner or fan really, but please can you tell me what are screenshots you posted in this thread from ? I mean what software are you using to check search engine popularity.

By the way, my searching keywords were not kakariki or related :) But google provided with your link :)

Thanks
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:46 am    Post subject:

Web CEO
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject:

Steptoe i got the site from a google serch as well, I was in a different Kakariki site before this one and didn't find it very helpful at all....this one ROCKS! <v> , well done to an awesome site.
mrLenin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:29 am    Post subject:

Steptoe wrote:
Web CEO

Sorry, for bothering you, but where can I download it?
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:03 am    Post subject:

Run google on it
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> General Non Kakariki Discussion All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: