Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
MOTUIHE PROJECT
Parrot Society of New Zealand
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - bit concerned about kiwi
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

bit concerned about kiwi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheekykiwi
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:03 am    Post subject: bit concerned about kiwi

hi everyone

i am new here but wanted to ask some questions as am bit concerned about my kakariki kiwi.

She is 21 months old and i bought her from a petshop 3 months ago. She settled brilliantly and lives next to a budgie, cages side by side, he has fallen for her and spends most of the day singing love songs Rolling Eyes

we were originally told by the petshop owner that she was a boy, this was until she laid an egg about 3 weeks ago, i removed it as advised on website research from the web.

the problem is she has started feather plucking, well this is what i believe to be happening, have not actually seen her plucking but feathers are coming out of her at quite a rate. I read through some other posts about feather plucking but wanted to post as it has only happenened since we went away for christmas. we had our next door neighbour look after her and the other animals, she had her usual diet, but wasnt let out as she usually is. is this the reason for her feather plucking? is it because we werent around as usual and she did it as she was bored and wasnt getting her usual attention? she seems ok in herself, slightly wary of people agian since we are back, but is quickly coming around again!!

the thing i wanted to ask is will this continue? do you think it is due to us going away? she had a frayed tail when we got her but that i reckon is due to her bouncing up and down on cage bars as it rubs against her tail.

The other thing i'm slightly concerned about is when i was researching on the net it said that kakrikis love flying, kiwi however does not seem to. she gets let out at least once a day for 30 mins+ however most of the time she just sits on the curtain rail (as she is doing at the moment_ that or runs around the floor. Is this because she didnt get much flying time before she came to me? is there anything i can do to encourage her?

sorry for all the questions just wanna make sure my munchkin is ok

any advice really appreciated.
thanks
mandy
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:14 am    Post subject:

Kakariki, of all parrots are not prone to feather plucking..
Does she scratch?
I would be more inclinded to suggest mites.
Run a word search (quick search block to the left or adv search buttom above.)
Peter, a member here has some good posts on this.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject:

hey

I have a hen who plucks the feathers on her stomach when she has decided to seriously incubate the eggs in her nest, she does this after the second egg has been laid only. I was told that she has done this as the body now has contact with the eggs helping them to be warm. I have found that the feathers grow back very quickly. IM not sure if this is a true characteristic of the wild stock but have noticed it with my birds.

cheers james
zigzag
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject:

p.s...........

Kakariki are very active and take it from me i had to put one male bird in a small cage for about a month he would continuosly run his beak and tail up anddown the cage untill he drove everyone crazy, and had freailed all his tail he looked like a peacock.

I would suggest that he comes out for more flying time or he be placed in a larger avairy. Once he has a bath his feather will come back to normall.
cheekykiwi
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject:

she doesnt scratch, checked the feathers last night coul not see any tunnels in them or any possible mites on the quill line.

she hasn't laid any eggs in a few weeks though, had to remove that one as it was broken. could she be preparing to lay one do you think? should i reove it or leave it with her if she does?
she is not in a cage with any other bird just next to one so should she still be laying?

the flying time was just an average she generally has at least 2 half hour sessions a day.

another question should i be leaving the feathers in or removing them? i removed them last night and there seems to be more than 'usual' on the cage floor this morning. Sad the other thing is she has no bare patches what so ever gave her a thorough check over last night and to be honest i just dont know where shes getting them from duno

any advice greatly appreciated
thanks
mandy
zigzag
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject:

hey

I guess you could add more things into her cage if you do not have already. you can make ladders out of rope which can hang fron the roof of the cage. ALternatively you can buy toys from your local pet stores. by placing more things in the cage gives her more things to spend time on durig the day when your not home. I belive some parrots pick their feathers because they can become bored. I cut fresh branches and place them in my cage on a weekly basis my birds love playing in the leaves and eating them. this is not expensive as their are native trees everywhere here in W.A

if she has plenty of things to do she might not have time to pick her feathers out.

good luck
zigzag
Karona

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:48 am    Post subject: Hello

Have you tried giving her a bath? Get some thing to add to the water from the pet shop. I let Eddie have a bath at least twice a week, and when he's moulting or is getting agressive casue of breeding season, I try to let him have one every day and he seems a much happier chappie. I just put a shallow bowl of water on a towel and let him spash around till he decides I need to get wet and sits on my head, shakes himself like a little dog and then flies off to the radiator to dry off.

If your looking for something interesting to give her, try a fresh coconut, scoop out the flesh, chop it up into reasonable size lumps, and thread it on to thick cotton and hang form the top in the cage. If you put it a little too far away from a pearch she'll have to work out a way to get to it. Eddie pulls it up to the bars from the top of the cage, then when he can't reach anymore, decides he'll jump from his pearch to it. If you split the coconut in half cleanly, you can use the two halves to make toys with them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: