Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
The National Wildlife Centre
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
New Zealand Conservation Management Group

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - lost my fist chicks to the heat.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

lost my fist chicks to the heat.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zigzag
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: lost my fist chicks to the heat.

I have unfortunatly had my fist low to breading this was my second clutch with my first pair of cinamon kakariki. i had 8 eggs of wich 7 hatched but unfortunatly to day my two biggest chicks have passed.

i was diving in rottnest all day. i had the next box on the floor with the lid open. i had recently installed a sprinkler system which i really am happy with but my girlfriend complains that it users to much water and makes me cut it down. So i have now lost my first chicks and i guess i blame her for this.

it feels so awfull that the chicks actually slowly cooked and i am reely mad, frustarted and sad.

I have taken the dead babbies out as soon as i saw them is this the right thing to do. or should i have left them for the parents to deal with.

thanks
zigzag
Kaka-riki
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject:

Removing the chicks is the right thing to do. Leaving them in the box increases the risk of disease and the parents will only leave them to rot.

As for the heat factor there is not much else that can be done. My suggestion would be to remove ALL the nest boxes at this time of the year as the chances of chicks surviving in the hot summer days is greatly reduced regardless of sprinklers and lowering nest boxes.

The biggest killer of chicks during the heat is actually dehydration. The parents will feed the chicks regardless of the temperature BUT the food in the crop tends to dry out very quickly and this results in sour crop which in turn will kill young chicks very quickly.

Increase the amount of green foods (endive, spinach etc) whilst the remaining chicks are in the box. These foods are high in water content and will help keep the chicks hydrated. The other alternative is to remove the remaining chicks and hand rear them.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:03 am    Post subject:

I know this sounds a bit different approach....
I was designing a secure area for a network server the other day, sort of like a large pantry.
Heat to the server machines routers etc is a problem.
At the bottom are ventilation holes.
At the top are several 13cm 12v computer case fans...these are only a few dollars each
Maybe applying the same principles?
A few ventalition holes at the bottomthat can be opened closed ..12 or 17mm dia that canbe pluged with a piece of dowel
1 or 2 cpu fans at the top mounted in a tube, or hole with mesh so the birds cant touch the fans
This draws the less hot air in from the bottom, hot at the top sucked out.
Maybe there is enough movement of air to lower the temps a couple degress

Couple basic cooling concepts to understand..
Moving air has lower air pressure, lower pressure and the temp also decreases.
If a surface is damp, the action of evaporation of the water off that surface decreases the tmp of the surface...thats why if i put meths on your skin it feels cold...if you continuiosly pour the meths on your shin it doesnt, you just feel the temp of the meths
A sprinkler system that dampens the surfaces, then let to dry, will give far better temp drops than contiuiosly having the sprinklers on.

I have used sprinklers in this way, with good results, just dampen down.
The fans, thats an idea.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject:

just a thought, when I am down the beach or fishing and traveling light, I wet an old towel and cover my tinnies in it to keep them cool. it seems to keep them cooler than just wetting them. maybe someone can design a nest-box that works on the same principle. but the birds cant get at the material used to soak up the water. and in winter it would work as insulation.(the material would have to be changed regularly of course because it would rot). or have I had to much to drink and my brains are addled.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject:

Nesting boxes made out of unpainted rough sawn timber, as we do, obsorb the water better, keep damp for longer periods.
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject:

Or a nestingbox designed as a coolbox. On top of the nestingbox an isolated compartment that serves for an icepack. On the bottom of that compartment a few holes which makes the cold comes down.
zigzag
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject:

the birds are feed large amounts 2-3 times a day of silver beat, spinach, tomato, celery, brocoli, parsley and rocket. most of the vegies come from my vegi garden unless i dont have it. i also feed the all diffrent fruit's and mealworms everyday.

i belive during the day the mains water supply drops in presure depending on how much consumption is going in the erea. my sprinkler were set very low just enough to wet the roof and not waste to much. but while i was away the presure droped and the sprinkler were inadiquite and failed to cool the avairy. next time the sprinklers will be running flat out even if it starts world war 3 with my girlfriend.

personaly i did not want to breed during these months so the option of pulling the babbies and taking out the nest boxes before she starts to lay again feels like the best option to me.

i have been thinking about desiging a nest box and ahve thought about all your ideas and i will start to play around with the ideas and see what i can build.

thanks
zigzag
Karyn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:18 am    Post subject:

Hi Zig Zag

Really sad to hear you have lost babies to our Perth heat. Last summer I lost two whole clutches. Both times it seemed that the smaller babies survived better. Perhaps because they have less of the heavy down the birds develop as they get bigger.
This summer we have suspended shadecloth above the aviaries about 100-200mm above the roof. This, with the mist sprinklers timed to come on every day at 2pm, seems to have cooled the avairies considerably. However I still think it is too hot at this time of the year for Kakarikis - particularly babies. They do breed readily and regularly when a nest box is available so I will be putting the nest boxes in at the end of February when the temps are reducing a bit. You may need to hand rear the remaining chicks and keep them inside out of the heat - mind you they might be ok this week as it's a bit cooler!

If you are successful and have a yellow fronted hen for my male to entertain I would be interested in hearing from you.

Best of luck. Cheers Karyn
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:41 am    Post subject:

This ia a summary of NZ weather...Kakariki where disributed the length of the country

CLIMATE_ NZ.doc
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  CLIMATE_ NZ.doc
 Filesize:  44.5 KB
 Downloaded:  136 Time(s)

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject:

I finnaly contacted an experienced kakariki breeder who i meet on this very site. Yesterday i had the oportunity to meet debbie in person and her beautifull annimals. she w3cd me into her home and showed me how she looks after her birds and breeding them. She was extrememly knowledgable and told it how it is for us in perth. i only wish i had known her before i got into kakarikis but thats just how it is. we decided that my best option was to pull the two biggest babbies and leave the other two for the parents to raise with only two in the box this would hopefully reduce the risk of them overheating. I have never hand reared a bird before so debbie tock me through the process and showed how to mix the formula and feed the birds correctly. she gave me the formula which is her own special recipe. so far i have had no problems and the chicks are hoewing into their formula. thanks debbie i would be realy pannicing if it wasnt for you. thank you so much for making me feel that my birds are also your birds. it feels good that i now have someone to go to localy for advice and purcasing quality birds.

P.S I am looking forward to buying some birds of her and would love to get into the pieds

thanks
zigzag cheers

P.S thanks to the owners and admin of the site that made it possible for connecting people together Applause
Bertman
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:47 pm    Post subject: Loose the girlfriend

zigzag wrote:
I have unfortunatly had my fist low to breading this was my second clutch with my first pair of cinamon kakariki. i had 8 eggs of wich 7 hatched but unfortunatly to day my two biggest chicks have passed.

i was diving in rottnest all day. i had the next box on the floor with the lid open. i had recently installed a sprinkler system which i really am happy with but my girlfriend complains that it users to much water and makes me cut it down. So i have now lost my first chicks and i guess i blame her for this.

it feels so awfull that the chicks actually slowly cooked and i am reely mad, frustarted and sad.

I have taken the dead babbies out as soon as i saw them is this the right thing to do. or should i have left them for the parents to deal with.

thanks
zigzag

My advise, keep the birds, loose the girlfriend Speak to the hand
debbie
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: your so kind

zig zag,
thank you so much for the nice words, i am so glad i was able to be some help to you,it sounds like you have got the feeding of your babies down pat. it is special people like you that make the effort to do your home work and ask the questions that makes the kakarikis life, we breed ,lives easier and more comfortable ,this sort of intrest and love make my day. if i can help some body even just a little bit with these birds ,that means that the next person you meet that want to breed kakas ,you can help them to . angel
deb
p.s any probs , dont hesitate to ring
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: