Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
MOTUIHE PROJECT
Parrot Society of New Zealand
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - weaning
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

weaning

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bertman
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: weaning

ok guys, this should be an easy one for the more experienced amongst you. At what age do you start the weaning process? Simpel right. Whistle
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject:

Natural weaning starts from when they come out of the nest....When the isis is formed, they can then be removed from the parents.
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: weaning

Steptoe wrote:
Natural weaning starts from when they come out of the nest....When the isis is formed, they can then be removed from the parents.

Thanks for that. Maybe I should be a bit more specific. I have been hand feeding my chicks for a while now and am wondering if i should start giving them solid food now
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject:

I/we have never hand feed Kakariki...NZ DoC, native bird , permits policies
They come out oif the nest just as the yellow spot on the back of the neck is nearly covered, and are able to fligh in a manner of speaking (not just flap around aimlessly) within 2 or 3 hrs.
They then start feeding themselves then or the followng day Plus parents still feed.
Kakariki in nest boxes that are a little short are known to come out before the yellow spot is nearly covered and will feed themselves earlier.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject:

Hi Bertman I find that when the birds are almost fully feathered and are picking around in their box or cage you can start to give them some soaked seed and vegies just a small amount so they get used to what it looks and feels like and you will find that they will pick at it but it will take a while to for them to eat enough to keep their weight on. They will also lose interest in their hand raising food as they learn to eat more but still keep their feeds going untill you can feel food in their crop last thing at night. Kakarikis usually wean fairly quickly once they start. Cheers Jenny
Bertman
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: weaning

hilly wrote:
Hi Bertman I find that when the birds are almost fully feathered and are picking around in their box or cage you can start to give them some soaked seed and vegies just a small amount so they get used to what it looks and feels like and you will find that they will pick at it but it will take a while to for them to eat enough to keep their weight on. They will also lose interest in their hand raising food as they learn to eat more but still keep their feeds going untill you can feel food in their crop last thing at night. Kakarikis usually wean fairly quickly once they start. Cheers Jenny

thank you jenny, that was most helpful. Laughing I might be a bit early cause they are not quite as feathered as you descibe. They are eating less hand food and I read that after the growing phase, they loose weight so they can prepare to fly and at this time they start weaning as well. Given the fact that they have been eating less for the last 3 days I figured that they should start weaning now. Give it a few more days I assume. If you have more suggestions I love to hear them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: