Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
The National Wildlife Centre
MOTUIHE PROJECT

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - i'm sad to say.....
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

i'm sad to say.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quon
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: i'm sad to say.....

Kira passed away at this very moments in my hands...

I decided to stay up all night to watch in case the other bird tried to bite him ( was planning to seperate them into different cages as soon as the store opened)

However....5 minutes ago he was sleeping and he suddenly started to flap his wings and held onto the bars with his beak. I already knew what was going to happen and i rushed for a towel to try to massage his heart.

When i came back he was lying in the floor and i picked him up rubbing his chest in a warm towel.

He died shortly after........

and with this im saying that ill never become a Kakariki owner again. I do my best to keep them healthy with veggies and so , cleaning cage often , changing waterbowl and foodbowl here and then.

I cant take this, ive lost 3 kakariki's bought at the same store the last year.

i......im heartbroken and i dont think i can recover from this any longer
debbie
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: sad

hi,
sorry to hear about your loss. please dont let it stop you from owning any more kakas ,you did the best for your birds and none of this is your fault. it breaks my heart when stuff like this happens and it does happen to all of us at one time or enother ,belive me. try getting a bird of a reptable breeder instead of a pet trade place,ill never in my life by from one of these places again,when i started years ogo i lost most the birds i bought from dealers, it was not till i met some real good bird people that i realized the only place to buy good birds and get the knolage you need to treat them right and give them all the right care is from the reptable breeder.
Quon
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject:

thing is i live in sweden , i only am familiar with pet stores and dont know how to look at private kakariki breeders here
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject:

You have no pewter/lead/zinc toys around things like that?
M8 I get this real bad feeling the problem lays with the breeder rather than you....
Be it the genic line baddly inbreed, something in the breeders cages, food???
Kakariki are a very hardy parrot, and will take a lot more than most other species.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject:

what you mean steptoe?

i did gave him a large variety of different vegetables and fruits.

And he was never lonely cause i wa always saying something to him, (since the cage is where i mostly spend my time)

i feel as ive killed 3 kakariki's this past year

Ayato who died the month after i bought him, he just ate and slept and barely did activities

Quon who died in december, i had to put her down since her foot had swollen for laying eggs, the ring on her foot didnt give her feoot and blood circulation....was the hardest decision ive ever hade to made

and now this..

and i have a few toys in the cage, but most of them are plastic aside from the bells , but he never played with them

Toys:

a few poles they like to carry ,made of plastic
a pole with a ring at the end which they like to drag
Bell with ring atop of it so they cancarry it around
PEnguin on wheels that they entertain themselves
And some other sound making toy
Quon
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject:

maybe it was the cucumbers i put in?

Put i personally think it might be because of the other bird cause i saw that he really was terrified all last night, and as no zoological store has opened, and i cant just remove the bird and put him in a box either...i decided to stay up so that he wouldnt bite him or anything
Bertman
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: i'm sad to say.....

Quon wrote:
Kira passed away at this very moments in my hands...

I decided to stay up all night to watch in case the other bird tried to bite him ( was planning to seperate them into different cages as soon as the store opened)

However....5 minutes ago he was sleeping and he suddenly started to flap his wings and held onto the bars with his beak. I already knew what was going to happen and i rushed for a towel to try to massage his heart.

When i came back he was lying in the floor and i picked him up rubbing his chest in a warm towel.

He died shortly after........

and with this im saying that ill never become a Kakariki owner again. I do my best to keep them healthy with veggies and so , cleaning cage often , changing waterbowl and foodbowl here and then.

I cant take this, ive lost 3 kakariki's bought at the same store the last year.

i......im heartbroken and i dont think i can recover from this any longer

I am truly sorry Crying or Very sad and probably the last one to give you advice, since i only had mine for 3 months. But There is one thing that i noticed. All 3 from the same store Think... I find them the easiest birds to keep. maybe it is something in your setup? Once again, i am just guessing, but dont give up mate, just get an expert to access the problem. It must have a reason. Goodluck
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
what you mean steptoe?

Quote:
I gave him a.....

Quote:
M8 I get this real bad feeling the problem lays with the breeder rather than you....

knowing the questions u have asked, actions you have taken and the amount of reading thru this site u have done (yes the server logs everything)....I find it very hard to believe any fault can be yours

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject:

thanks, that really means alot coming from you
zigzag
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject:

sorry to her about the passing of kira. This could of happened to anyone with any type of bird. dont let this ruin the chance of having a life time of happiness from keeping kakariki. You are obviously doing your best which is all anyone can ask of another.

hang in there
zigzag angel
MyGully
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Kira

Dear Quon, I am so sorry to hear about your losses. I am wondering about the bird that was with your last Kakariki. What sort of bird was it and how were they behaving that night? I know it is easy to look back and say what you would do, so I apologize if I offend you because I do not mean to. I would have put the bird into a box, he could easily survived one short night.

As for your other birds, the one that was very quiet is very unusual for a Kakariki. I haven't had very many Kak's but the ones I have had always behaved like acrobats- always up and down and around.- something was wrong it seems from the very start.

If I were you I would go to the shop owner and complain. He should at least help you find another replacement- a healthy one -for a small cost if any.

By the way, the people on this web site have helped me through some difficult times with my birds and if you give them something to try to help you with they will find the answer to what happened with your birds.- they are patient and understanding- and knowledgeable.

I work with animal behaviour so if you can tell me something about how the birds behaved it is possible that might help get some answers.
The last thing that I would do is give up, pets give us great pleasure.- they give our families great pleasure and teach us understanding and compassion. Let me know if I can help, best of luck, K.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:25 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I work with animal behaviour so if you can tell me something about how the birds behaved it is possible that might help get some answers.

That is a far more profound statement than what on the face of it appears.

When our children where babies, sure they got a liitle off colour...carefully watching their body language, then copy it, one then sees "hey thats what I want to do when I have over eaten", or " have a big gas bubble in the guy" Sure enough the Doc confirms everything.

We can do the same with our pets, sure they are built a bit different but the basics often remain the same...Be it sick or just taming a bird, or training a dog.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: