Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

New Zealand Conservation Management Group
Parrot Society of New Zealand
MOTUIHE PROJECT
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Sterilizing Branches
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Sterilizing Branches

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Aviaries, Flights and Cages
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bilat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: Sterilizing Branches

Tried searching the forums and didn't find anything. Does anyone know how best to sterilize a branch to be used as a perch?
wyndara
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject:

Bilat, my personal opinion on this would be to wash the branch with water only then use. we are in a world that loves to sterilize everything. If you are not carefull you end up with a situation that is so sterile the birds become weak as their immune system has no chance to develop in a natural way. they need to be exposed to some bacteria etc. Kakariki love nothing more than to strip the bark from a new perch My motto keep their environment clean but not sterile.
Bilat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Wyndara! Appreciate the advice/opinion. I tend to be of the same mind, but as new Kak owner, am a bit "paranoid"... Whistle
wyndara
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject:

one other thing to consider would be if you did not no the origin of the branch etc, ie could be a fruit tree and been subject to alot of pesticides in that case just dont use it ! If you collected it fine i dont see a problem.
Bilat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject:

Haven't collected one just yet. I live near a lot of forestland. It'll be easy enough to get a piece. Actually, kinda surrounded by forest and wetlands.

Any opinion on driftwood? I'm kinda close to the water as well. I like the way it looks, but it doesn't have bark on it. Think Bilat would like bark better.
wyndara
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject:

I dont think drift wood will work as a perch, too smooth . I dont know about it as something they can chew on , other members may have used it in their aviaries, there may be something in it the birds may benefit from.
Bilat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject:

Thanks! Probably the only benefit of driftwood would be aesthetics. Stuff is pretty hard after floating around in the water and then baking in the sun.

Think I'll get something with bark and see how she likes it.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject:

We just wash, let dry in the sun a few days, this kills off any worm eggs etc
Then mist spray with a 50/50 soln of vinegar aNnd water.
Drift wood does look nice, but eventually a barked log will end up looking that way anyway once the birds get to it
Smooth branches are difficult for the birds to grip, in particulat young out of the nest.
Yes be careful of fruit branches as described above...
Something out of the local forest bush is best.

Some ppl maybe concerned about the salt in dift wood...Kakariki do live on the coasts, and are observered eating small sellfish, digging thru seaweed washed up...so I dont think salt is an issue.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Steptoe! Err.... Sun drying might be a bit of a problem here Wink Will make do though. Pray
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject:

Sry about the "Sun "Comment....We have a large deck, so can "sun Dry" all yr...its the easest method for us...

Worm eggs need moisture to survive...
Just need to dry out the top surfaces out the bark, and keep dry for a couple days...

We have quite a few large trees in the gardens, when trimming I put a small pile, suitable for perches of all sizes, to one side. They are stacked off the ground and protected from the weather. So When I need one I just chop a length off and diameter I need.
I suggest when u go out to get branched, get a few 'spares' tie up with a few bits of twine and nail the bunch to the garage wall.
If u tie quite a few more loops than needed...When u go to chop a length off...u may chop a couple loops to get at the piece but the bundle doesnt fall apart and need re tieing and hanging up again

See Im lazy, and work hard at it Wink

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject:

hi, just a comment. parasites are extremely clever and will stay in soil or attached to articles for years until they have the right conditions. If you are thinking you can sterilise a perch that has been in a cage for a long time then forget it. It is so much easier to buy a piece of doweling or to find an untouched branch. You will sleep better tonite K. Wink
Bilat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:04 am    Post subject:

No problems on "sun". Kind of a joke in the Pacific Northwest... We have lots and lots of rain. Which of course means it's very green around here and lots of wildlife.

I have dowels right now. It's amazing how much folks want for a perch around here. Think I'll do my best to clean and dry some branches for perches.

Thanks again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Aviaries, Flights and Cages All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: