Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

New Zealand Conservation Management Group
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
Parrot Society of New Zealand
The National Wildlife Centre
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - What do u feed your Kikes?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

What do u feed your Kikes?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject:

I had a play a few yrs back..Frankly I just didnt and havnt the time...
Not that it is time consuming
Besides work, parrots, web site/server, there is our 69 muscle car, and run/restoring old jowett Bradfords...and the car runs, club events that go with them...and we both forgot our Wedding Annerversary till that evening Shocked
So I really are not quailfied other than Sprouts come in packets from the supermarket
A search for spouts comes up with
http://www.kakariki.net/ftopict-470-sprout.html
at the bottom of the list Wink

I have seen Kaka.riki's setup...hes got it down pat..

Last edited by Steptoe on Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bertman
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject:

So what's your secret? I have lived in Auckland for 4 years and know that you guys have only 24 hrs in a day as well :) Do you only sleep 2 hrs a night or what? Will try soakind seeds and let you know what my feathered friends think.
Kaka-riki
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject:

Sprouting Seed.

1) Purchase a "sprouting" mix from your local supplier. Seeds suitable for sprouting include Sunflower, Safflower,Mung Beans, Hulled outs, Maize and Peas. You can also buy a pigeon mix that has most of these seeds and is suitable for Kakariki

2) Seed should be washed and then soaked in water for 12 hours. Use a clensing agent in the water to prevent the seed from going mouldy. A solution used for cleaning contact lense should be suitable for overseas members. In Australia you can use either Multi-clens or Avi-clens. A stainless steel container is best for soaking seed.

3) Wash and drain the seed. Place the seed into a strainer type container (again stainless steel is best). Keep the seed moist during the sprouting process and wash regularly to prevent mould. Depending on temperature the seed will sprout in 36 to 48 hours.

4) When the seed has sprouted wash the seed again in a solution of water and the clensing agent. Drain and store in an airtight container in the fridge. Seed should stay fresh for approx. one week and so sprouting enough for this period is advised.

Sprouted seed is far safer to feed than soaked seed which only involves using process one and two. If you do feed soaked seed any seed not consumed in the first hour or so needs to be removed as bacteria and mould will grow very quickly on the seed as it dries out and this can be catastrophic to Kakariki who are susceptible to this type of infection.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:47 am    Post subject:

Quote:
So what's your secret? I have lived in Auckland for 4 years and know that you guys have only 24 hrs in a day as well :) Do you only sleep 2 hrs a night or what?
lmao
No 4 or 5...6 if we sleep in.....
I have this theory..God messed up...he should have made 8 days in a week and 30 hr days...that way I can then sleep in (6 hrs) and still have time to do every thing I want. Shocked

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:40 am    Post subject:

what about bananas...kakarikis they eat bananas?.....also i can give to my kaks fresh pork meat?...or i must to cook it?...and i can give them also fresh spinach...or cooked?
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject:

banana is very highin carbohydrates...its a bit different to other fruits
I have nothing to base this on, just 'gut feeling' too much banana is not good
Kakariki have been observed in the wild nibbling at road kill (possum)
Wild meat is very different to the stuff we get in the supermarkets...it is very lean and aged
I have tried a bit of lean raw chopped meats, no problems..but have to watch for it going off.... cooked meat doesnt go off as fast
DONOT leave meat laying around in avairies...feed enough for them to finish off in an hr or so.
Protein is a very important part of kakariki diet, espec coming up to breeding and raising young chicks.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject:

I need a little bit help Pray
My kakarikis ,10 weeks old ,they eat to much...i think this!.....they eat almost all the time ,they make activity and they eat Think ....just i want to know if this is normal?
Second...I let them the food inside in the cage allways or I should give them by myself?
And if i give them by myself ,how many times per day i should give them the food? Idea
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject:

Have seed avalable to them at all times
Fruit veg meat spoils quickly...
As descriped in other posts..we feed 2x daily, and from obsevation one gets to know how much from what is left over to reduce wastage and spoiled food.
Quote:
10 weeks old ,they eat to much
ypu got teenage boys? they are active and growing, they eat the cubhaords MT....think it thru
Quote:
they eat almost all the time ,they make activity and they eat
again think it thru...
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject:

they have in them cage allways seeds ...and i put them one time per day veggies and in the evening fruits...and that s all.....and they eat everything what i put ...they like and accept everything :D.................active they are not ,,crazy active,, like i saw ..........and so much also they don't speak,, just one in the morning she ,,speak,, like ,,hey let me to fly ,come on,, :))))

for example is better to give them seeds just not so often i mean ....i want to make a plan for them when ,and how they must to eat.....and i don't know how...i mean ...to put for them seeds in the morning,veggies in the day and fruits in the evening....or?
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject:

We feed in our avairies enough seed in containers that lasts just over a week...
Fresh fruit during the day, and fresh veggies morning and evening

HYow bif is your cage?

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject:

my cage is big i think for them both ....is 75 cm high and 56 cm wide ...it#s oka?
ToryXX
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:41 am    Post subject:

i have one more question....the Bonsai it's danger for the kakarikis?...i have one and just to know if i put it away or just i let it...because they go on it :)
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:55 am    Post subject:

Kakariki, unlike most other parrots, are extremely active from dawn to dusk...
In NZ it is illegal to keep in cages...
IF someone was to keep a couple in a cage, I would not recommend anything under 1m high, 1m wide and 75mm wide...iwith at lease several hrs free flighing time every day (not evenings when ready to roost)
Yes we have kept kakariki in smaller cages...as tempory housing and hospitalisation....for sort periods of a days or week.
They do become over weight with no doubt resultant related health problems possible later, they do become lathargic, they are not as vocal.

Keeping animals in captivity is not like putting an orniment on a self...
These are living creatures, with individual personalities, and should be respected and treated as such.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject:

Not talking i let my kakarikis all day out from the cage so they fly and play how much they want......just when i'm not home they are in...that's all....and what is about bonsai?
DancingMan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject:

ToryXX wrote:
and what is about bonsai?

What type of tree is your bonsai? Bonsai are just the same as full-size trees, only smaller Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 4 of 11
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: