Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
The National Wildlife Centre
Parrot Society of New Zealand
New Zealand Conservation Management Group

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Sorry Conures again
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Sorry Conures again

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BIGBADBK
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Sorry Conures again

Hi all, yes I know but I can't find a Conures Forum. So I've got an empty aviary, not long enough for DOC to let me keep Kakariki (2.4x1.5x2.1) and was thinking about Sun Conures but have heard they are loud. So how loud are they, louder than say India ringnecks/ Rainbow Lories??
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
2.4x1.5x2.1

2.4l 1.5w 2.1 h ?
Thats heaps big enough
If reasonable shelter from prevaling winds, gets sunlight, saftey doors, reasonable construction and floors...
DoC shouldnt have a problem
Thats big enough to keep a flock of 5 to 10 kakariki, so long as water is fresh everyday, and good food supply...

If what u have, DoC is saying not good enough, then I would be saying the guy doent know what he is talking about...but then there are very few in DoC who do know what they are talking about when it comes to kakariki.
Fortunatly the there are guys up here who do, and I have a great respect for.
Got some pics?...
Steps

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:34 am    Post subject:

I've only recently got my permit from DOC - I was told that an aviary of 2 - 3 metres was all they needed and they didn't even ask about height and width - mine's a lot bigger than that - but the important bit is that they said 2metres length is fine!

That's very recent (this month), from Devonport DOC.

As to conures - oh boy are they loud! One of mine frequently screams like a cockatoo! Another one has a loud harsh scream - but only screams in the morning and at passing seagulls. They're not as shrill as a lorikeet, but they also don't have the vocal range.

Mine have moved inside to keep the neighbours happy!

I use an ear plug on the side that the conure is sitting - I'd be deaf by now if I didn't, they make your ears ring.

I have heard that the Aratinga genus (Sun Conures etc) are louder than the Pyrrhura genus (maroon bellies etc) - but in all honesty I have both and they sound the same to me. They can learn to talk but need considerable effort and motivation - which they don't get outside - they just scream.

Delightful birds - one of mine lets himself out of his cage in the morning, climbs on my bed and yells "Good Morning" at the top of his lungs - after which he is quiet all day!

Not usually for people that like peace. Hope that helps.

As an aside - I have a Conure book byTFH that has a picture of a Kakariki by accident on one of the pages!
Allen
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:16 am    Post subject:

We have had Aratinga conures and Pyrrhura - Gold caps, Suns, Jendays, Painteds and Black Caps as well as Ringnecks and Rainbow Lorikeets.

My wife lost it in a big way last year with the noises and insisted that I get rid of all the Aratingas. She is not bothered too much by the Ringnecks and Lorikeets, they are only about half as noisy as the Aratingas. Five pairs of conures equals extreme noise and makes being in the back yard unpleasant. You can hear them from a bout three blocks away.

If you want quiet, colourfull but relatively stupid birds, go for long tailed Aussie birds like Rosellas. If you want intelligent, bold, playfull but very noisy, go for South American, if you want relatively quiet, intelligent shy birds that don't require lots of flying space go for African parrots.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject:

Galahs and cockatoos are very noisy....like a black back gull who has borrowed a Rolling Stones amplifier

We keep kings/ crimsons a reasonable volume but not enough to upset anyone, also due to the type of sound....also turks, bourkes that just have a pleasant tweet.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject:

Wanted some thing with a bit of smarts. In NZ we a re a bit restricted in what is a available so I can't get the Conures that I'm keen on, Crimson bellied, Blue Throated, Pearly and Painted so have to look at some thing else. Not keen on the Ozzies Parakeets or Rosy's etc and Cockatoos are just too loud. So I'm left with Lorie's, Rings, and Conures. Not really keen on Rings although Malabars are nice but don't Rings make a lot of noise all day long. Rainbow Lories could be a go but I've also heard that these guys are loud and can go on all day. Sun conures are meant to be one of the loudest conures but usually only at the start of the day and at sunset, is this about right. Any other options that people can think of. Really looking for birds that can make good house pets( if/when they breed) the noise thing is only for the neighbors but we have a guy that plays guitar all day long so if he can do that I can have Sun's. Would some day like to move out of town and keep A Grey's and M Mitchell’s but not yet.
BK
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject:

We have a king for a house pet...he is not loud, and kings dont chew up the funiture.
cage is permently open, so wanders around 24/7...so we sort of co habit with him..he does his thing we do ours
Another thing to consider is the droppings, firm type are easy to keep clean, birds that eat meat or lorries tend to be sloppy and stain.
I dont know if It is just our King (Bob) but he only desposits his droppings in his cage, on his chewable perch, and from the top to a lower shelf on 1 of the wall units.

Crimsons are the same

We have had over the yrs, rossella, cockatoos, budgies as house pets...the King/crimson is the most suitable for in the home for larher parrots. Also we have friends who have Greys, galahs, Mitcells, lorries, kakariki, cockeals etc, again comparing overall ease Kings and Crimsons, kakariki come out way on top when given the freedom of the home.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject:

Didn't think about the Kings, Crimson what are they like. Lets say Cockatoos are loud and playful and Macaws are relaxed and noble. Steptoe you are right 2.1Hx2.4Lx1.5W (x2) my Green checks can fly in circles, it has a grass floor with a concert edge and I've planted bottlebrush, Banksia (dwarf) etc. Half of it is roofed and closed in on the sides and there’s a barge board that hangs 12'' down at the front of this to give a little extra shelter around the next box's, it face’s NE but we don’t seem to get hit with the easterly to bad. Will get some photos soon to post.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject:

This is a immature Crimsoin male on the left, mature they are a deep blue down the back....these are avairy breed birds, tamed down at about 12months of age

Quote:
it has a grass floor with a concert edge and I've planted bottlebrush, Banksia (dwarf) etc. Half of it is roofed and closed in on the sides and there’s a barge board that hangs 12'' down at the front of this to give a little extra shelter

We planted, and ended up with sticks
Started with grass/dirt...but this is prone to going sour over the yrs, and source for interal worms etc because of the damp, and mice dig thru....I made up a couple 20L buckets of pumice sand mortor, about 6 :1 poured about 5 to 10mm thick, with slopping to a 20L bucket in a soak hole under the water toughs.
Did this with birds still in the flights
We sprinkle pumice sand (#3 grade) on the base and rake every 2 weeks, then top up with 2 or 3 Ls of sand each time.

Roof we used to have 1/3 uncoverd , now full cover...to much sun in summer, and driving rain goes to deep into avaires in winter...there is still more than enough sun if hanging perches are made availanle at the edges.
Roof is sheets of treated construction ply over netting well washed 1st.

We have 250 to 300mm kick boards around the base...stops the baby quail jumping thru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:04 am    Post subject:

Crimson wings make fantastic indoor pets - of all the various different birds we've had inside Crimson wings are the ones I'd replace...Rosellas though beautiful are brainless/scatty, cockatiels are feather dust messy, Lorikeets can't be allowed to free roam much due to mess, my conures are all very (very,very,very) loud and chew things - everything - anything!, the lovebirds are cute but too small and get nippy with people.

The crimson wing by comparison is a gifted songster and mimic, beautiful to look at, doesn't chew anything much, is a sweety to other people, doesn't even consider nipping, doesn't make hardly any mess - and is all round tops as a indoor, free range, take withyou on outings type bird.

They're also big and beautiful for aviaries, as a the king parrots.

Yup - the sun conures make heaps of noise and try to keep it to the mornings and evenings - but they also scream at passing birds/people etc - so you can't avoid it - they're noisy. Great for indoors if you don't like hearing the TV all the time.
BIGBADBK
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject:

I have a B&G Macaw & a Galah as pets and 3 Green Checks in the other side of the aviary (couldn't leave 1 behind) how many do people think I could have in 2.1hX2.4Lx1.5w. The 3 sleep in the same nest box. how cute. I think I'm going to get Suns my neighbors party all the time and another practices guitar all day long so I can have loud parrots. The Galah and Macaw go in to work with my girlfriend most days at Black's Pet’s Opawa Rd CHCH if any one wants a look. I've only been keeping Parrots since she brought the Galah home 2 years ago when the shop was closed for 2 days over Xmas and now he's my best mate.
BIGBADBK
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject:

Just added photo of me and the inside guys, will get some of the aviary in the weekend. Wasn't as hard to post photo as I thought.

Admin:
Pic added to post

big1.sized.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  41.56 KB
 Viewed:  143 Time(s)

big1.sized.jpg

Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject:

Dust..I forgot about that...cookatoos, the large parrots put this fine dust over everything!!! as fast as u clean, its back!!!

We just had a freind visit with her pet Crimson...

Between kings and crimsons, both in avaiaries and house pet they are damn near identical in nature...
So it biols down to what colours you want...there are 4 as mature males and females of both species are very different...
Young are hard to tell apart, upto about 2 yrs, so a DNA cert. should be obtained to confirm gender
With both, the full male colours dont devalope for 3 to 4 yrs.

Also consider that a younger bird is more like a teenager...adventurous, courious and will be naughty....mature birds are more 'laid back'
Keep in mind parrots, depending on the breed, have an intellgence comparable to a child 18 months to 5 yrs.. greys and most larger parrots even up around the 7 yrs
Integence of individual birds is also depentant on stimulus provided from a young age...total vocab to the ability to use tools.
My suphur would even attempt to figure out the combination of the padlock on the cage door!!!...yep had to use a padlock, cause he would open all sorts of catches, twisted wire, often in seconds

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Sorry Conures again

BIGBADBK wrote:
Hi all, yes I know but I can't find a Conures Forum. So I've got an empty aviary, not long enough for DOC to let me keep Kakariki (2.4x1.5x2.1) and was thinking about Sun Conures but have heard they are loud. So how loud are they, louder than say India ringnecks/ Rainbow Lories??

Hi I have conures mine are in the house as the Kakarikis, cockatiels, budgies, canaries and finch are in the aviaries, I do not find them loud at all, rarely screech, they need a nesting box at all times as they use it to sleep in, they also like a hanging toy as they like to sit with the toy hanging down their back as if wearing a cloak, I think the way to minimize any screeching is to spend time each day with the birds, I also do this in the aviaries, sitting in with the birds talking to them, One day i managed to lock myself in and had to wait 2 hours before hubby got home to release me. He is still dining out on that one. What is the DOC, I live in England and am curious, is it a permit to keep Kaka's.

regrds
silverlady
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject:

Quote:
What is the DOC, I live in England and am curious, is it a permit to keep Kaka's.

DoC NZ dept of Conservation....kakariki are native to Z, all native birds, animals, fish require a permt to keep, breed, display, transport, collect etc

See Doc Section of the forums....
http://www.kakariki.net/forum-6.html

A few eye opening threads in there... the thread "permits " you may find interesting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: