Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
The National Wildlife Centre
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
New Zealand Conservation Management Group
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - another noob!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

another noob!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> General Non Kakariki Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrazeeHorse

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: another noob!

hi everyone, i bought my two kak"s about five months ago, i only went into a pet shop to buy some sandpaper for my girlfriends budgies, and ended up walking out with two kakiriki"s! Wink
it was there acrobatics on there perches and toys which attracted us to them as well as there unusuall looks.
five months later, and putting up with them being sex mad, she laid an egg! Shocked it was on the bottom of the cage and she ignored it so after a week we "got rid of it" Sad i then went out and bought a nest box which i attatched to the side of their cage, and when she laid her next egg, i put it in the box as to give her an idea d'oh! after a couple days whilst she was flying round the livingroom i had a quick peak. Shocked there were two eggs, and a week later i looked again, and there were a total of SEVEN. i couldnt believe it. i looked everywhere on the net and shops etc, but kak knowledge is very limited. Crying or Very sad quite shocking really as the net coveres most things as a rule with far too much too look at when you do a search. anyways i left them to there own devices and treated them like cockatiels and about ten days ago i heard tiny shrieks from the nest box. on inspection, again when she was out, i found a little chick, quite big and dare i say healthy, about an inch long! i was and still am chuffed to bits that all her hard work has paid off. the other eggs havent hatched, but she has succseeded in having one. which she wholey deserves for two months of dedication in that nest box :P
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:59 am    Post subject:

Another Addicted Kike owner thumb
So u are now planning the new bedroom, I mean aviary?

As mentioned in previous Posts, we in NZ cant keep kikes in cages, let alone breed in them signlol
Your experiences off shore are of great interest to us.
Post some dimensions, pics etc.
Also be aware the female will lay again just after the chicks get their green feathers. If there is not another nesting box she will lay in that one.
2 things can happen
1/She could kill the chicks
2/She will lay with the chicks in there but when the eggs are ready to hatch she may attack the chicks or throe then out early.
The point at which chicks normally exit the nest is when the yellow spot on the back of the head is covered.
Once left the nest the male continues to feed till the iris is formed, during this period the female MAY show aggression to the chicks on her odd ventures out from sitting on the new batch.

Read the post on feeding, this is critical to good large heathy birds and keeping the female in good condition.
Keep us posted m8, well done.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject:

hi steptoe, many thanks for your reply.my rough cage dimensions are approx 36 inchesl by approx 20inches wide by approx 36inches tall. when i can find the tape measure i will be more specific Laughing mickey and minnie come out on a regular basis. mickey probably every other night for a couple hours sometimes more, in which time he does his own thing including chirping as loud as he can when an interesting bit comes on the television, he hangs upside down from light fittings, explores EVERY single inch of the living room and has a special skill of absailing down the back of our units on speaker wires very quickly! he is VERY tame, and will quite happily jump on to my hand until something else catches his attention. he also lets me kiss him and stroke him quite firmly! he really is placid, and very shallow when it comes to food.
on the subject of eggs, im quite concerened. d'oh! i have a nest box attatched to the out side of the cage, and im not sure what to do. :?: i was thinking, i have just checked on kiwi (babe) and have seen its eyes open! all be it only just. so i"d wager that he/she is approx 2 weeks old. the other six eggs havent hatched so i was thinking of putting kiwi in a sort of open topped box so that mickey could feed him at will. i was also thinking of getting rid of anymore eggs minnie has for the time being as she has nearly plucked herself for bedding, and i think she deserves a well earned rest. i really dont know what to do as this is only our second pair of birds. our first being budgies. Rolling Eyes

birds cage (Custom).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  13.47 KB
 Viewed:  200 Time(s)

birds cage (Custom).jpg

Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject:

Keep the statis quo for now, u have several weeks to start to worry signlol
Also if the parents stop feeding, u will have to carry on...every 2 to 3 hrs initially.
Feather plucking for the nest? Thats new, most parrots ,in the wild dont make a nest like sparrrows etc..The nest in holes in old trees, that already have a good build up of mulch.
I dont know if u are into gardens, composting etc, but if u add a good dose chook poo to the compost heap, it heats up big time. I have a therory, that in the wild (as the kikes do in our nesting box) theres a reasonable amount of poo from the parents before they lay. I believe this is part of the incubation of their eggs.
I use about 3 to 3 inches of lower mulch from the native forest floor here to line our nesting boxes.....
if your box is not lined maybe that explains the plucking????
Make sure u feed mun well, she has to recover from nesting plus rebuild reserver and feathers, she could be a little run down.

Dont be in a hurry to remove the eggs, Mum may want to lay again!!!
Dont be suprised if eggs hatch well after u think they are no good.

I find it amazing that kike breed in such cramped quarters Shocked

Do u have a back yard? or going to turn the spare room into an avary d'oh!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:59 am    Post subject:

yes the love shack is a little small, but being first time buyers that was all they could afford Laughing as for the cage, they seem very happy with it. they are out of it very often and when the cage is open they still go in on theyre own accord, to feed/bathe/drink etc.
we have spoken about an indoor avary but its not going to happen Crying or Very sad never mind, like i said they are out all the time and very happy. and acting like they do it must be a small credit to us :P

just stuff! 036 (Custom).jpg
 Description:
who needs a christmas tree fairy?
 Filesize:  12.16 KB
 Viewed:  205 Time(s)

just stuff! 036 (Custom).jpg

Allen
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:34 am    Post subject:

It seems like most female Kakariki outside of New Zealand lose a lot of feathers of their bodies, particularly their chests when breeding. Some of mine go alomost completely bald when nesting and then hardly lose a single feather with the next clutch. The good news is that the feathers grow back quickly and they have a perfect plumage again within a few weeks.
CrazeeHorse

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:46 am    Post subject:

everything i read seems to be totally different! ive heard and read so much about kak"s and as i just said nothing seems the same! my friend bred kak"s and he has told me just to leave my chick AND the eggs in the box! d'oh! and when its ready it"ll come out on its own wall i really am quite concerened as im a complete novice and my birds are sex mad Laughing i really want minnie to have a break before she has any more eggs, she has been in the nest box for two months. :?: should i start removing the next load of eggs if and when they happen? presuming kiwi (baby) survives and the rest of this batch dont hatch?????????
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject:

Quote:
everything i read seems to be totally different! ive heard and read so much about kak"s

Yes Deffinately agree, not only that but ass I have commented in another thread..there's a lot of mis information. In these forums, if a an opinion is disagreed with, there is a discussion sorting such things out, this is encouraged.
Althu we breed in a flight, One female is sitting on her 4th batch since Oct.
She is in good condition....I put down to a very supportive and busy male and good diet.
Quote:
he has told me just to leave my chick AND the eggs in the box! and when its ready it"ll come out on its own

Yep Leave the Statis quo for now.
The best is just observer and learn
OR u may like to remove some of the cureent eggs, check with your mate, If he has a hen sitting it nps to add them to another clutch.

As far as kikes loosing feathers off shore NZ ..I just dont know.
Quote:
my friend bred kak"s

Get him along also

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject:

many thanks again steptoe. its very early dont you sleep? Laughing its 8.20pm in the uk! is steptoe your real name or nickname from the t.v. series? pmsl
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject:

Steptoe is a nick or long time, most just call me Steps now.
I orginated many years ago when I was looking for a gaming name, yep Im one of those hard core internet games, in squads . play tounies etc etc (delta force series)
Any way the BBC Steptoe and Son TV series was a favorite of mine and my parents in the 60's, one day many years ago I hired a video of several programs to show our children, they loved it, they decided I was Steptoe, it was never clear as to they meant the father or son signlol
We ran gaming LAN weekends here, and they knew me as Steps, have other serious gamers visit from NZ and other countries....
d'oh!

Sleep....whats that? Shocked
Most of my work is from home, admin networks/hardware, stuff like that, have workshop/office purpose built (see link in members sites block)...So work is offen hard out without regular hrs, then theres the gardens, house maint, '69 camaro Z28 (hot rodder from way back) ground up restoring a '47 bradford van, parrots, family.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 8:49 am    Post subject:

squawks are getting quite loud and regular from minnies nest box. young kiwi has a healthy set of lungs on him/her. should be three weeks old this sunday (approx) Laughing
CrazeeHorse

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject:

sorry for all the questions im like a five year old right now and need lots of input! Laughing when my chick gets bigger will it be able to live with mum and dad? my window cleaner who breeds budgies says that if its a male chick the father will kill it because its a threat to his wife :?:
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:37 am    Post subject:

Quote:
sorry for all the questions

Why sry? Laughing
After all that is what this site is about.

The general routine is
1/Mum /Dad sort out a nest, Dad gets a little territorial, even enought to move a King male on... Shocked 9 / 10 he doesnt get as agressive as lovebirds, red rumps etc. but its best to leave them on their own.
2/The chicks hatch, when they getting thier green feathers, Mum starts to lay her 2nd batch...if only one nest , our Kikes lay in with the current chicks...if theres a 2nd nest she moves there and Dad continues to feed her and chicks.
3/When the yellow spot (back of the head) is covered on the chicks, the are ready to leave the nest.
4/If the 2nd batch of eggs are hatching Mum will throw the chicks out (in the case of 1 nest) This is usually just before they should emerge...often resualting in flying lesson accidents.
5/Dad continues to feed and wean the 1st batch of chicks, feed Mum and her new batch. She may occassionally very breifly attack one of the 1st batch males, nothing serious.
6/When the 1st batch devalope their iris, they are best moved on then.
As far as males Killing, no we havnt had anything of that sort.
7/ We have had a male from a previous batch, since removed to another flight, and has 'escaped back to the nesting flight, yep Dad gets pretty upset, I would say that he would kill or even do serious damage, but the flight, him etc makes for a very stressfull envioment.

Just a quick further note, Our main breeding pair have just hatched there 4th batch this season, each batch of chicks have hatched on the 7th week intervals, right on time.

Quote:
and need lots of input!

Well u asked for it signlol...
Quote:
when my chick gets bigger will it be able to live with mum and dad?

Short answer, yes, most likely, until the sec batch is ready to emerge from the nest about the same time the 3rd batch is hatching. After that I cant say for sure as have always removed 1st batch shortly before this.

Maybe some of the other members have experiance beyond this piont??

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject:

not quite a super model, but definatly an attention seeker. a bit like myself signlol Laughing

the chick! (Custom).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  17.04 KB
 Viewed:  217 Time(s)

the chick! (Custom).jpg

CrazeeHorse

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:53 am    Post subject:

kiwi, aged four weeks! feel free to post positive comments Laughing round of applause to mum and dad! Applause

the chick! 001 (Custom).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  9.29 KB
 Viewed:  9190 Time(s)

the chick! 001 (Custom).jpg

the chick! 002 (Custom).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  9.31 KB
 Viewed:  9189 Time(s)

the chick! 002 (Custom).jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> General Non Kakariki Discussion All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: