Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

New Zealand Conservation Management Group
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
MOTUIHE PROJECT
The National Wildlife Centre

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Help, Im scared my 2nd hen will become egg bound
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Help, Im scared my 2nd hen will become egg bound

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jem260370

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Help, Im scared my 2nd hen will become egg bound

Hi, back again for some urgent advise.
I lost my first hen approx 2 years ago when she became egg bound. Ive since found out that she was a bit too young at the time.
My new hen Susie (had her for about a year) looks like she is definatley trying to lay, her vent is larger than normal & she is pushing, so to speak.
How long does it take to push out the 1st egg. She doesnt seem upset & is still eating but she has been trying for about 12 hours now & Im worried the same thing could happen to her. There diet is high in calcium with lots of fresh fruit/veg & seeds.
Please advise ASAP, need to know whether to call a vet fast
Thanks
Julie
jem260370

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: Update....Im so relieved

Hi again
After 25 hours of pushing (on & off) Susie has finally layed her egg. Im so relieved. I forgot about the time difference when I put in my first post so, when I realised, I tracked down our nearest decent vet, who happened to be on holiday (typical). He advised to steam out the bathroom & place the hospital cage in there for 30 mins.
She was obviously so relieved by this, she perked up, started eating again (she had stopped an hour after my first post) & wasnt trying to push so hard. I left her in there for 3 hours then climatised her back to a warm room temperature. 1 hour later, we had an egg & a very tired but happier Kak.
The only question I really need answering now is, 'do the rest of the eggs she may be laying come out easier!!!!??'
Thanks
Julie
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject:

Calcuim is critical....and so is the type of calcuim...
Ca comes in many diff forms, from cooked egg shell, uncooked, cement, concret, plaster of paris, cured and uncured, pumice, cuttle fish.
Some are siutable, others useless, and others will cause death.

We use chicken bones, chop bones, left over from the dinner plate, pumice sand, cuttle fish....we stopped using aftermarket additives several yrs ago, sortly after loosing a mature female to egg binding....
This was/is the only female we have ever lost due to egg binding, she was several yrs old, right in her prim.
We have also have youg females , approx 6 months laying eggs no problems, thu they do have a far higher infertlity and parenting skills.

Your vet should be able to inject the crop with a booster Ca 'shot'

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Thanks

Thank you yet again.
I have been using shell, pumice, cuttle & a powder additive in the seed. I was very worried they wernt getting enough ca after I lost the first hen.
Ive read in your other posts that eggs are laid approx 48 hours apart. Should I expect any problems with the next (if any) eggs or, should it be a lot easier for her now??
Thanks
Julie
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Ive read in your other posts that eggs are laid approx 48 hours apart

Im not sure about 48hrs...
http://www.kakariki.net/ftopicp-6045.html
We already have the 2nd egg, at this stage less than 18hrs...thu I still have to confirm time by going thru the recordings.

Quote:
Should I expect any problems with the next

Never expect anything, just cross each bridge as it comes
Quote:
should it be a lot easier for her now??

Very likely...
Im a born cynic...I tend to question everything about the "norm" for kakariki, (and most other things) even after all these yrs....
Their is so much published about kakariki, and so much of it is wrong...
unless I see with my own eyes, or know from ppl that I know personally, that are hands on and relible....I question everything, trial, observe, test...

I believe the same is so with the leading breeders that are members here, they know their stuff very well.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: 48 hours later

Hi again
well, its 48 hours later & thankfully, no more eggs yet.....poor Susie needed a rest!!
Saying that, she has been perched in the most ridiculous position for the last 2 hours, wedged between the side of the hospital cage & her bath with her tail wedged up at a nearly 90 degrees angle on the side of the cage.
Doest look very comfortable but, I guess its a pretty comfortable positiion if your expecting an egg. Shes perfectly happy, a bit sleepy but, not looking like theirs any major problem this time.
Furthur updates to follow :0)
Thynaks for all your advice
Julie
jem260370

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: 5 Days later

Well, its 5 days now since the egg. Though Susie has looked like she was tying to lay again several times (a few days ago) , nothing has happenned since so, Ive decided to put them back into the aviary. Ive also put the egg back in even though neither of them have shown the slightest bit of interest in it.
Hope Ive done the right thing here but, I hate keeping them in the hospital cage.
Should I expect this to be the end of the eggs...this time round anyway & what should I do with the egg???
Thanks
Julie
Kaka-riki
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:42 am    Post subject:

Hi Julie,

Reading through your posts I noticed you feed your Kakariki a powder form of calcium on their food. We had some tests done by our vet here in Australia and he found that Kakariki do not digest the powdered calcium and as such it can actually create problems instead of being a benefit.

I would suggest you try crushing cuttlefish onto the food as a more viable option as Kakariki will usually eat this and the calcium intake should be enough to ensure there are no egg binding issues.
birdy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:06 am    Post subject: help i'm scared my 2nd kakarili will be come eggbound

Hi,
I have just read your posts. A good source of calcium is Calcivet by the BirdCare company in the UK. It is a liquid calcium added to the water. You add it 5 days running and then 2 days off. You don't feed it every day
If the bird becomes eggbound, you can give 2 drops of neat Calcivet directly into the beak, 4 times a day until the egg is passed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: