Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
MOTUIHE PROJECT
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
Parrot Society of New Zealand
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - sexing
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

sexing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Riekie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: sexing

Hi

I bought two yellow fronted kakariki about two months ago. The petshop told me it was a male en female. I looked at there beeks and it look like two males to me. But Mr. Petshop owner told me they where a pair.

So what I did I used my 84 year old grans advice on her years of experience on birds and it turn out to be two males.

Now what I just want to know is, isn't the method of feeling between there legs the best way? I tested it on my other 3 kakariki and two budgies. I know what sex they are and the feeling-between-leg-method compared with the beak worked all the time.

How it works, the bones are further apart on the hen than on the cock for the eggs to come through.

Thanks

Excuse my spelling. English is not my first language.

Ps. Just one point. Here is South Africa I had three petshops that told me it is fine to mix the yellow and red fronted. wall
hilly
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject:

Hi Riekie,
Vent sexing is usally only possible in mature birds as they prepare for breeding and is more unreliable in young but of coarse it is usually young birds in need of sexing.
Kakarikis in general are fairly obvious in their sexes though you always will get the big hens and small males.
Vent sexing is often used to add to a breeders ways of confirming the sex of a bird but along with all the other indicators.
As to your other point that is why there is such a problem with hybridised birds around the world, not just confined to Kakarikis either.
Cheers Jenny
Bertman
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: sexing

"Just one point. Here is South Africa I had three petshops that told me it is fine to mix the yellow and red fronted."
Not a good idea at all, if you want to experiment a bit with colours and different kink of kakis, why not look at mutattions. I am looking in to that at the monent myself, there are some beautifully coloured birds out there
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject:

Welome to our community...
And from Administration logs, I think it is you who has had a lot of trouble getting here...I think your confirmation emails where being filtered by a apam filter at your end....

DONT mix reds and Yellows ...that those with a red crown and those with a yellow crown...they are different species.

Dont belive what pet shops say, 99% of the time they know squat, and more interested in a sale than the birds.

We have several members in SA...I would reconmend Allen.
When logged in, on the right side opf the front page, the members list appears...If u click the members name, u can contact them by email and/or PM.

Cheers
Steps

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject:

HI

Quote:
And from Administration logs, I think it is you who has had a lot of trouble getting here...I think your confirmation emails where being filtered by a apam filter at your end....

Steps, i'm sorry about the spam issue. I will try to resolve it. Thanks that you have taken the hassle to put me on the site manuelly.

Quote:

Not a good idea at all, if you want to experiment a bit with colours and different kink of kakis, why not look at mutattions. I am looking in to that at the monent myself, there are some beautifully coloured birds out there

Bertman, don't worry about me mixing the two types of kakariki. I was just pointing out what the petshops are busy doning. I will never do that! I think anybody with any reasonable interest in the kakarikis species and there history won't mix them at all. We have 7 kakarikis the two yellow fronteds (Now looking for mates but it seams that the yellows are extreamly scares in South Africa).

Then we got a pied which are mostly yellow and a cinnamon with white wingtips (is'nt that what you call fallow? the other cinnamons wingtips are darker.) and the pied cinnamon, very young, busy taming it. I'm still looking for proper wild colour pair.

Thanks for a stunning website.
L
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Steps, i'm sorry about the spam issue. I will try to resolve it. Thanks that you have taken the hassle to put me on the site manuelly.

No applogy neccesary m8....its all part of Admin a dynamic web site...
If it was a issue I wouldnt have the site..

We have been having issues with isp/and phone lines/dslams at the exchange...everything from line noise to bad ports.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: