Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
The National Wildlife Centre
MOTUIHE PROJECT
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Kakariki only eating seeds
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Kakariki only eating seeds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daisyxxx

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:44 am    Post subject: Kakariki only eating seeds

Hi,
I got my Kakariki, Charlie 2 weeks ago. He is about 12 weeks old. When i first brought him home he starting nibbling on some of the fresh food i was putting in his cage (stuff like apple, cauliflower, pasta etc). But now, he's only interested in eating his seeds and wont even go by any of the food i put in his "fresh food" bowl. Ive even tried taking away his seeds but then he just searches the bottom of his cage for seeds. However, when hes out and im eating, its his goal to taste (and stand in) everything on my plate. If I put some out for him...hes not interested!

Any ideas on how I can get my Charlie to try other food?

Any advice would be appreciated!!
Kokoko

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:09 am    Post subject:

Take the fresh veggies and put them in the food processor. I've found that the actual size of the food bits can make a huge difference when trying to get a bird to eat new foods. Chope the veggies into small bits, but not wet mushy puree. You will get different sizes from very small to a few chunks up to 1/2" or so.

My kak wouldn't touch a brocolli spear or a slice of carrot, but chop it into all kinds of sizes and shapes and she tears into it. After eating good try different things, big chunks she loves to tear up.

If she still doesn't eat much veggie, then mix a bit fo veggies and a bit of seed, equal amounts, into one bowl. Change it at least twice a day to prevent mold. You'll waste a bit, but eventually will be eating her veggies in a seperate bowl.

I now give mine only veggies and and birdy bread in the morning. Around noon I'll give her seed and take out the seed around 5:00pm.

She wouldn't eat bannana. So I dried some chips, and mashed some fresh into oatmeal. She liked both a bit and now will eat it fresh (though sparingly).

She wouldn't touch carrots. So I chopped them very small and mixed, and kept trying. Finally I rolled a baby carrot in 7 or 8 spinach leaves and tied it. She ate the whole thing. Now she eats them pretty good in any form.

She wouldn't eat corn. I cooked it, gave it raw sliced off or on the cob, and just kept at it for a month. All of a sudden it's her absolute favorite. If I'm cooking corn on the cob, she goes crazy and bounces off the wall till it's ready and cut her off part of the ear. She'll eat the whole thing (or at least destroy it) if I let her.

Bottom line; don't give up. Even if she's not eating it now, keep offering it daily, in different forms if you have time. Eventually she'll come around as long as you continue to give her the opportunity.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject:

There is a lot of info here
http://www.kakariki.net/ftopict-12.html
Birds raised on incorrect diet can take a long time to get onto a good diet
mixing veggies/fruir with seed can cause the seed to go off quite quick in rhe right conditions
Mixing fruit and veggies will do the same.

A couple drops of apple cider vinger mixed with the vegiies may also help.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject:

Thanks for your replies they were a big help! I dont have a food processor so i bought frozen chopped veg (corn, peas, green beans, carrots) and he loves it now! I think it must have been the size of the food i was giving him. I also mixed some seeds in with the food and that seemed to help. I think in time he will be trying all foods i put in his bowl (although he gets very excited when i put his full seed bowl back into his cage). Ive also noticed that hes got lots more energy since eating veg and fruit! He used to fall asleep by 8 but hes now hyperactive and playing until about 10:30! He's a crazy fun bird!xx
Kokoko

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject:

I'm glad to hear your kakariki is eating now. Mine (about 4 months) eats just about anything and everything she can get her bill on.
unclechicken
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject:

You should see my kakariki tear apart half a pomegranate

It takes him less than 4 minutes!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: