Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

The National Wildlife Centre
Parrot Society of New Zealand
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
MOTUIHE PROJECT

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Hen layed 3 days ago, no more eggs???
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Hen layed 3 days ago, no more eggs???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penny

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:22 am    Post subject: Hen layed 3 days ago, no more eggs???

Hi, I am a new user here on this site, may I say congratulations to you all for this wonderful site, it s great!!!

I have a pair of kaks, female and male that are breeding right now. My hen layed an egg three days ago, but nothing since then? Is this normal for kaks and will she lay again, or did something happen that made her stop laying? This is her first clutch, both of them are a little over a year old. I read somewhere not to breed unless they were at least one yr. old.

I feed them very well, lots of fruits and veggies with their normal seeds. I also feed them egg seeds recommended by my pet store. I try to introdue lots of fresh vegetables and fruits as well to there diets.

Am I doing something wrong or is this normal behavior for them? The hen spends more of her time in the nest, only comes out to feed and wash and pooh of course... But after three days still only one egg layed!

Thanks for your help in advance, I really appreciate any advice from you guys. I have spent many hours ready your forum and I think it is an essential site for us lovers of Kakarikis...
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:12 am    Post subject:

Its not uncommon to have small number eggs on the 1st lay 1 to 3
And not uncommon for these to be infertile.

So dont go blaming yourself

You dont mention protein in the diet, espec leading upto breeding season and during sitting and raising chicks.
Bit of chopped up lean cooked steak left overs, few bones from cooked chicken with bits of meat on and catiladge.
As mentioned in previous posts..we dont feed (havnt for many yrs now) commerial additives, but use cuttlefish, pumce sand, bones for calcuim..
Thu we occassionaly give them a few cat biskets also.

Bascally a well raised kakariki with eat 2 to 3 times more meat, fruit veggies than seed.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Oh yes Meat leaftovers as well

Oh yes I did not mention that I do give them leftovers some times for proteine and they love it!!! But maybe not enough, how many times a week should I be feeding them?

So, if my hen is not laying other eggs, it might not be a good thing? Does this mean that this first clutch might not be good? Normally how often would she being laying eggs, every other day or everyday?

What will happen to the eggs in her first clutch if they are no good, do I leave them there or should I remove them after a while?

Thanks for your help, I am a new owner and I appreciate all the help I can get...
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:51 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Oh yes I did not mention that I do give them leftovers some times for proteine and they love it!!! But maybe not enough, how many times a week should I be feeding them?

We feed veggies morning and evening
Fruit /protein and stuff during the day
And watch leftovers, what they are eating and how much...
The trick is no or very little leftovers

Quote:
So, if my hen is not laying other eggs, it might not be a good thing? Does this mean that this first clutch might not be good? Normally how often would she being laying eggs, every other day or everyday?

Its matter of just observing..nature is not a machine with cogs...it moves in its own time

Quote:
What will happen to the eggs in her first clutch if they are no good, do I leave them there or should I remove them after a while?

Differnt breeders do different things...check out old posts
We just wait till they are abandoned, remove, dismantle the nesting boxes clean, wash, sterize with an LPG burn and put back.[/quote]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the advice!

Thanks, it s nice to have someone to ask questions, since I am such a newbie at this. Yes I do believe like you that you must verify not to give too much of anything!

How will I know if they abandon their egg? Will the hen just stop going to the nest, is that the time to remove the nest and clean out?

Also, is their still a chance that the egg will hatch?

Thanks for all your help...
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I am such a newbie at this.

Being a 'newbie' just sit back and watch observe them and learn.
Experianced breeders of many yrs still do this..but have other 'tricks up their slive...like candling eggs.

But for now, simply watch and enjoy...
U may or maynot get a chick...and that chick may or may not leave the nest...even then it my not be fully healthy...thats nature.
But it is the experiance and hands on learning process thats so important when 1st starting out.

Dont get upset if things dont turn out ok...its all part of nature and breeding

Kakariki are one of the most hardy of the parrots, and easy, once u get the basics.

You may find this interesting...we put a CCTV in a nesting box a few months ago with a young pair...I havnt uploaded the recording...over months it runs into gigs of files.
The end result the chick died...why? dont realy know
http://www.kakariki.net/ftopict-1170-cctv.html

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:20 am    Post subject: A new egg appeared!!!

Oh, yes you are right, I do have a lot to learn. I am trying really hard to get all the facts that I can, but not much available on the internet unfortunately. This is why I became a member here to find out more, and learn as much as I can. I have so many questions, can t find answers for anywhere.

I am so happy, just got another egg! We love our birds, and really enjoy their company. They are really good pets, I travelled pretty far to purchase them, they are so hard to find but I don t regret. They are by far the nicest little parrots I ever saw.

I ve named them Duke & Daisy, both are Lutino red-fronted, they are just so beautiful and playful little joys. Can t wait to see if they will successfully breed little ones.

While I was getting worried that the hen might not produce more eggs, she was laying another egg for me. So, I guess we have to wait and see if this clutch will be successfull or not. Either way, we will still enjoy are new addition to our family.

Thanks for the information, anything else you can tell me about if the eggs do hatch and I do get some chicks, should I hand feed them and if so, how long should I wait before I remove them from the nest and start hand feeding them. What method is the best for hand feeding, I read that I should wait 2 to 3 weeks before removing them from the nest and start hand feeding them. I also read the easiest and best method to hand feeding is with a seringe?
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:36 am    Post subject:

To the left is a 'Quick Search " block where one can search this site for info
And a seach button above.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: