Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
The National Wildlife Centre
MOTUIHE PROJECT
Parrot Society of New Zealand
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - He won't leave the eggs alone!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

He won't leave the eggs alone!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bunny

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: He won't leave the eggs alone!

My pair have been mating for about a year now. They are my only 2 birds and live in the same cage. She has started to lay eggs, but neither bird seems to know what to do with. I put in a nesting box, but they ignore it.
Bubbles just laid a perfect egg and abandoned in the bottom of the cage.
I tried to protect it but just walked in on Squeaky Boy eating it!!!!
I'm not sure that I actually want chicks, but I don't want Bubbles to get depressed over her lack of offspring.
I have been finding broken eggs for about 2 months now.

What should I do???
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject:

Kakariki are normally very good...better and easier, than most birds
BUT
like with other species it is common parents dont have a clue if 100%hand reared...espec if a couple genrartions of hand rearing

How to get arond this...sry I do not know...all our birds are nest reared and tamed later.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:57 am    Post subject: He is a bad boy

I'm afraid Squeaky Boy is out of control! I think his male hormones are in over drive. He won't stop biting me and he tries to fight me! The more I try to discipline him with a knock on the beak, the more he attacks.
Of course, the whole time he is saying 'hello mommy' so its hard to stay mad at him.
He was really good for a few months, but in the last week or so he is really bad!

any suggestions?
Since he and Bubbles are in the same cage, its hard to let her out for excercise and leave him in as punishment, but maybe this will help???
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:24 am    Post subject:

You have the concept wrong...the cage is THEIR home/terroritory...where they sleep secure...this must be encouraged...
Many reasons...including ...they get outside, if the cage is put ouside,they will come back to it and go inside, in their time.
Make easy for them to be caged at night

Watch a flock of kakariki...there is a pecking order...established mainly by a lot of angry sqwaking and intimidation...and if that doesnt work they will nip.
Be one of the flock...
Growl...and you have to mean ! get right in there face, low voice..threaten to pull each feather out one by one ...slowly...
And ignore your husband when hes rolling around on the floor in laughter...deal with him later..my wife does signlol

adviod waving a finger in front of them..that just winds them up more.
A tap is quick and unexpected.

You have to establish yourself at the top of the pecking order...just as we have to with our children..(stuff the PC crap..poor johnny is expressing his feelings as he burns the house down)

They may claim something like the area around an orniment, or high shelf..let them have that...just like they cage.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject:

I've never gotten anywhere by trying to discipline birds by fighting back - that simply encourage them and most birds have a will of steel.
He'll probably not see the connection that he has to be in his cage if has bitten you. So you might as well let him come out from the cage.
However, he might catch the connection of him not getting a treat if he bites you. I've never tried this kind of technique on birds, however, they are intelligent so it should work. Simply hold one of his favorite treats in your hand. If he tries to bite you, close your hand. As soon as he calms down, give him the treat.
In this way, he'll see that nice behavior and cooperation with you pays of :)
If this doesn't work, then I suggest you give him some space, patience, time and loads of exercise, he'll need it if there's hormones in the picture.

As for your hen, my hen was just as confused as yours. Well, they both were. When I finally had it with her trying to lay her eggs in my schoolbag/wardrobe/bed I bought a nesting box - which the male occupied. He just sat in there, wasn't doing anything in particular and she wasn't allowed to come in. And then she started to lay eggs outside the nesting box. Then from a perch, 1m above the ground...then on the ground next to the nesting box again, and that's when I gave her a hint and laid the egg in the nesting box. And my little hen finally peeked inside and understood how it should be done and jumped inside (my male had by then, has lost interest in the nesting box and went of to find a new toy)
So, try to put the eggs in the nesting box! Hopefully she'll get the idea.

I hope these advices will help you in some way, good luck! :)
Bunny

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject:

Thanks for all the advice. But, the hold the treat and then close my hand trick won't work. He bites me the minute my hands go near food. Holding food in my hand is out of the question these days. I have so many bite marks, I look like I own a cat.
I can't change the food and water in the cage without him attacking, so I pull my sleeve down over my hand for protection.
Its amazing how feisty he is- when he's mad and wants to fight, its like he doesn't even know I"m 400 times his size!

Bubble's main hobby is finding any possible cupboard, drawer, box etc and then shredding whateve paper, etc she can. I wonder if I left her there long enough if she would lay an egg and then protect it?
Tontana
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Its amazing how feisty he is- when he's mad and wants to fight, its like he doesn't even know I"m 400 times his size!

Laughing Birds sure are amazing and brave! I have a cockatiel who has appointed me to be his arch enemy - whenever he's in a bad mood he snarls and bites with everything he has and he has done so for years. I don't care anymore, it doesn't really hurt. I've even wrestled that little bird down when I had to trim his nails and after I released him he glared viciously at me as if he was saying I let you get me, but I shall have revenge!
It has never once occurred to him that I might be bigger and stronger. In his world, he's the noble king. Gotta love that weird little fella.

Perhaps she will. Though I would avoid paper with ink, simply don't trust that. But let her have some harmless paper if there is something like that, and try :)

Oh another thing - my hen didn't care at all about the eggs until she had laid about three of them, only then did she start to brood. So perhaps when she has laid some more eggs will she start to protect them.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I can't change the food and water in the cage without him attacking, so I pull my sleeve down over my hand for protection.

Thats quite common/normal...not just for kakariki, but most of the 'higher ' bird species, espec coming into or during nestng season.l

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: