Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
MOTUIHE PROJECT
The National Wildlife Centre
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - ideas for keepng baby kaks cool in nest box
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

ideas for keepng baby kaks cool in nest box

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Mutations and Species
View previous topic :: View next topic  
birdlover47

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: ideas for keepng baby kaks cool in nest box

Hello any ideas on keeping baby kaks cool through the summer heat thanks [/list]
naughtyniike
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:34 am    Post subject:

Idea keep the boxes out of the sun using large umberella or sun shades,a nice bowl of cold water for mum to keep bathing in .they do manage in the heat as they do in the freezing cold (like it is here )lucky u for some heat!!!my birds tend to wait for the cold before egg laying i could not really work this out!!!(i was in the understanding they are out side) be carefull if you use fans as draughts are not liked by kakariki (so i have been told)bit univoidable here i may add Whistle
naughtyniike
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:36 am    Post subject:

w3c to u also
Peter
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:17 am    Post subject:

Hi Birdlover,
I breed during Winter and here in Belgium temperature varies between 0° and 10°C. I often put the babys on the cage floor around the 3th or 4th week without difficulties. The male takes over the feeding while the female is able to start a new clutch of eggs.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:41 am    Post subject:

Quote:
cool through the summer heat

Auusie huh...couple yrs ago Adelade was hittng nto thr hg 40s..ppl where loosing birds

There are some old posts discussing what works, what tried and didnt
eg a spray in the flights to cool down, but wat wasnt realised the birds collected up near the roof and died...
So run a ord search in the forums...some good info there

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: thankyou from birdlover47

To all that replied first of thanks and happy new year to you all. Here in australia in victoria its been very hot ,i have my first lot of kaks 6 out of 7 eggs going really well .what i found has worked for me with the heat was puttng the nest box on the ground thick rung out wet towel on top of the box thick blanket over that with viewing lid open so the air can move ,the use of 90%shadecloth watering the roof top and the shade cloth through out the heat and a thermometer beside the nest box ,has worked so far so thanks everyone Laughing
Bertman
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: thankyou from birdlover47

[quote] what i found has worked for me with the heat was puttng the nest box on the ground thick rung out wet towel on top of the box thick blanket over that with viewing lid open so the air can move [quote]

I like that, but with temps here reaching 40 Cel at times, the towel would be dry in 1 hr, bit of a pain when you leave at 7 and are back at 5. Open box for airflow and moving the box to a lower position in the cage make a lot of sence. What about a small fan? Keeps me cool? Or would they catch a cold or something. Think

PS can someone help me with the right way to do the "Quote" thing please. Dont know what i m doing wrong but is not quite working. duno thanks
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:18 am    Post subject:

Peter wrote:
Hi Birdlover,
I breed during Winter and here in Belgium temperature varies between 0° and 10°C. I often put the babys on the cage floor around the 3th or 4th week without difficulties. The male takes over the feeding while the female is able to start a new clutch of eggs.

Hi Peter,

interesting technique. I didn't know they were so resistant to cold. Do you know if it's possible to handfeed them without additional heat inside home? I mean... you normally pull babies to handfeed around the 3rd week, the same age you leave them outside the nest.

By the way... you breed in winter but... do you just let the pair continue raising the chicks, or you even let the hen lay a new clutch in this time of the year?

Thanks!

Regards / Pablo
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:07 am    Post subject:

Quote:
PS can someone help me with the right way to do the "Quote" thing

paste the txt into the reply then highlyght.... just above the box are buttons to make bold quote underline change colour and fonts etc....clk on the button

you tags are correct except the end tag should be
Code:
[quote]txt stuff[/quote]

the / in it signifys closing of the quote

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject:

Pablo, I have no experience with handfeeding and yes, kakariki chicks are very resistant to cold but they have to be completely covered by downfeathers.
I pull the chicks around the 3th or 4th week because the hen often starts a new clutch. Since there is only one nestbox inside the cage, this is the reason why I do this. At this time, dad has already taken over the feeding.
Bertman
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject:

Quote:
you tags are correct except the end tag should be

Thanks Steptoe Applause
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject:

Peter,

thanks for your explanation. Makes winter breeding more relaxed knowing this things beforehand.

Regards / Pablo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Mutations and Species All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: