Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
New Zealand Conservation Management Group
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
The National Wildlife Centre

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - i need some advice!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

i need some advice!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sergio

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:33 am    Post subject: i need some advice!

Hello everyone, this is an amazing site well done, there is so much information here.

So here is why i need your help, my boyfriend and i went out one saturday about 2 months ago looking for a pair of parrottlets i got chating to the owners of the shop. They told us about a young kak they bred which only had one eye but was otherwise healty, They said that they would bring it in the next day so i could look at it. (yes i was suspisious but i can't resist a sob story) i saw her and had to have her.

However she actually has two eyes it's just that she is blind in the right one, the eye lid was pulled off by another bird when she was a baby so the eyeball dryed out and was damaged to the point that she lost her sight. We took her to the local avaian vet who thankfully is wonderful, he gave us antibioics to clear up the infection and drops that she has to have in her eye twice each day, it was a nightmare to begin with as she was not even a little bit tame (now she follows me about all day and uses me like a climbing frame Laughing )

I have finally got the part where i need your help, i really want to get a friend for her but i dont know if i should get her a male, female or different species alltogeher. We need to maintain a strong bond with her so we can put her drops in but i thought a male would be ok as long as there is no nesting box. However for the last few weeks she has been displaying to me like mad then last night when i looked in on her after going to the pub i noticed she had laid an egg! so i'm thinking a male would be a bad idea. any suggestions?

Thanks for any help Pray
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:14 am    Post subject:

Being blind in 1 eyes and having another bird could maybe cause further problems ...due to continually beng suprised
We have a House parrot...a king blind in one eye, similar damage to what u have...
Can your Kakarki fly?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject:

She sure can! she is still learning about the width of door ways and yes she does get surprised by things on her blind side but she gets on really well, she puts her right foot in her beak so it goes where she wants it to. Applause She did have one nasty bump when she got over confident but a bit of R+R and she was fine.

What do you think about having another kak in a different cage? i want her to have some company when i work day shifts. At the moment i keep going home at lunch time to play with her.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject:

We have a freind with a crimson...she takes the bird to work
Sits in reception, boss thinks its a great idea for visitors.
If fact a couple weeks ago our friend was going on holiday, so the boss asked if they could look after it at work...
Since most of the ppl there had got familar with feeding and caring ..it worked out very well for 2 weeks.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject:

I work in a lab, there is no way i could ever take her to work. Still it's a nice story, maybe i should get a new job.

I will see how she gets on the next time i'm on days, i have ordered a much bigger cage cos the one she is in now is tiny, maybe with a few more toys she wont get too stroppy. Thanks for your help.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject:

I have mentioned we have a King Parrot as a house parrot
A house parrt is like a house cat or dog, it wanders around the house 24/7 365 days a yr...even when we go on holiday....
And we have a house cat to...

so he/they just wanders around (and flys around ..not the cat..has no wings signlol))

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:35 am    Post subject:

I used to have house rats (they were toilet trained) they actually bullied the cat. i really would love to have a house kak but my silly boyfriend doesnt lke the idea maybe once she is house trained i can apporch the subject again.

since she doesnt seem to stop laying eggs is there anything extra i should be feeding her? Think

Does your kings eye weep alot? sergio's does and she gets a horrid crusty layer over the eye which she hates having cleaned. i was wondering if there was a way of makig cleaning a good experience for her. wall
naughtyniike
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:40 am    Post subject:

w3c hello hello! i have a yellow kak whois male a similiar thing happened to him(before i got him) ..sure think a partner would be a grand idea the bad eye will not cause any problems at all in my opinion go for it!! <v>
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:54 am    Post subject:

The eye should dry up and shrink ...somethng more is wrong if it is continually weeping
One doesnt have to house train a parrot...by nature they will only poo in 1 or 2 places, usually the cage or their perch.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject:

thanks naughtyniike i was thinking back to the conversation i had with the pet shop man and i remember him saying that she had been in an avarie for about a week before we took her. Still dont know if a boy or another girl is best tho.

Steptoe - I thought the eye would shrivel up too but it's just really big and moist it just sort of sits on top of her lower lid. I talked to the vet about having it removed but he said that as the optical nerves cross there is a risk that she could end up blind in the other eye too in which case she would have to be put down. Crying or Very sad So he recommended that i just keep her comfortable.

She poos everywhere she hasn't picked a spot or two she just goes where ever she happens to be at the time. i started to tell her she is wonderful when she pooed in her cage but she is a bit confused cos now when ever and where ever she sees me she poos and looks really pleased with herself. Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: