Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
MOTUIHE PROJECT
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
The National Wildlife Centre

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Record Keeping
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Record Keeping

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Record Keeping

Hi All!

I would like to start keeping records of my birds, and although I have a nice template for pairings, I would like to make an individual card for each bird.

I was thinking about displaying a genealogic or pedigree schematic on the back of the card, but don't know what info would be relevant in the front page.

I was thinking about some fields like "species" "gender" "band nr" "mutations" "paired to" and so on.

Someone from here has recommended me a nice software utility, but I would like to keep hard copy records, so I would be grateful if someone could give me some hints and input, or pass me on a copy of a template of your personal records.

Thanks a lot in advance!!!

Regards / Pablo

(obvioulsy, if anyone is interested in a copy of my "pairing" template, I'd be glad to translate and send it)
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:15 am    Post subject:

Hi All,

I finally managed to find what I was looking for. I'm customizing the template from the National Cockatiel Society to my own needs, and in a few days I'll have it ready. I wasn't able to download it from another computer, but I guess it was due to computer error.

As soon as it's ready I'll post, and if anyone is interested, feel free to e-mail me (pablo.caride@gmail.com).

Regards / Pablo

PS: How can I do to edit an old post, as to avoid re-posting? Thx!!!
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject:

Hi again,

I have translated the templates into English. Feel free to download and modify to your own taste, and if you need assistance, don't hesitate to ask.

They are intended to be printed in the same sheet (A5 size), two faces. I kept pedigree just to great-grandparents as I don't need more. If anyone needs extra columns, the easiest way is making a new table or scheme, or ask for assistance.

Suggestions are gladly w3c!!!

Regards / Pablo

Admin: Right clk on the down load then click "Save As"

breeding record.doc
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  breeding record.doc
 Filesize:  36 KB
 Downloaded:  215 Time(s)

individual card.doc
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  individual card.doc
 Filesize:  35 KB
 Downloaded:  196 Time(s)

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject:

Good stuff..
I have often thought about doing somethin in an excel speed sheet..
I have used excel sheets and never got around to working out macros to actually set one up.

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject:

Steps,

that's a good idea. I did this ones in a rush because otherwise chicks will come and then we will start taking notes in a notebook, but then it's all messy, and then you don't know where the notebook is and so and so...

In the future I would like to build a database or something similar. By the way... what's setting up a macro in Xcel?

Regards / Pablo
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
what's setting up a macro in Xcel?

Well Im in IT, and believe it or not I have not in 15 yrs had to use things like word/power piont/excel...
Copy paste into a notepad .txt does me.
When one does IT for a living, then the upkeep on this server , web sites etc, one just doesnt want to look at a bloody screen...much rather be in the gardens or building/resto another car

I believe (???/0 one can make macros in excell that will automatically add stuff and work stuff out when one adds a basic parameter.

Cheers
Steps
Crap..must get arond to changing this key board..the "u" is dieing

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:13 am    Post subject:

pabloc wrote:
Hi again,

I have translated the templates into English. Feel free to download and modify to your own taste, and if you need assistance, don't hesitate to ask.

They are intended to be printed in the same sheet (A5 size), two faces. I kept pedigree just to great-grandparents as I don't need more. If anyone needs extra columns, the easiest way is making a new table or scheme, or ask for assistance.

Suggestions are gladly w3c!!!

Regards / Pablo

Admin: Right clk on the down load then click "Save As"

Hi Pablo! Good stuff!
Any updates since u posted this?
I´ve also thought of keeping records to avoid inbreeding and just so u know what inividual u have - it helps alot in many aspects to keep a record.
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:33 am    Post subject:

Hi Freddie,

I still use those sheets to take notes of the clutches of cockatiels and kakariki.
But instead of individual cards for each individual I use an excel file, which was designed originally by Thierry Duliere (cockatiel, rosella and red rump breeder from France).
I will take a look and upload a translated version.

Then I also introduce data of individual birds in a program made by canary breeders. It's very basic but it's useful mostly because it can generate quickly a list of related birds, and also a back-up.

There's also a program called Zooeasy that has a good reputation, but it's a bit pricey in my opinion. I never tried it nevertheless.
But then I'm concerned about compatibility, ease of use, opening your pedigree from any computer... etc...

I prefer excel, anytime, and if I knew how to use access to generate pedigrees, I would do so.
You can open those files in any computer.
The only drawback is stupid microsoft making a new Office every few years and they are sometimes not fully compatible.

Hope this helps!

Cheers / Pablo

Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject:

The only drawback is stupid microsoft making a new Office every few years and they are sometimes not fully compatible. [/quote]
yes they are even 2003 with the 2010 fornat docx
Run a search Microsoft and they have an update patch which should have been installed if you had run the MS office updates and office service packs

And those without office, cant read MS office documents, they also have a free reader for excell word think power point and publisher.

The other alternative is the open office suit that reads creates edits MS Office documents in the save as...this is a free open source office suite

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject:

Hi Steps,

indeed I have installed Open Office in the old computer, the problem is... it's still far from being widespread. It's good to read, but sometimes has incompatibility of certain formats, or to create 100% compatible files.
But I use it and I can't really complain after the price I paid signlol

Then... I have Office 2007 on the laptop as I needed it for work, and I always save in the old "XP-2003" format (.doc).
But even so... don't see any real advantage for the average user of the versions 2003, 2007 of Office compared to XP.

Just my 2 cents!

Cheers / Pablo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: