Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
The National Wildlife Centre

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Quail?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Quail?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KakLuVeR01

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Quail?

HI All

i was thinking of getting a pair of quails in my kakariki fligh is that allright do they mix?
And if so some pics on peoples quail nest boxes.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject:

People keep alsorts of "vaccuum cleaners' in avaries, from hens to ginea pigs
My wife keeps quail in our flights..Im not interested or up on them except to say this..
The little ones are ok, the bigger ones are as thick as 2 bricks, they eat a hell of a lot of seed, and thu the droppings are easy to clean, in a week there is a hell of a lot. The larger ones make a noise like a frog.
Nestng..
The smaller ones they like open nests, a couple bicks in the back cnr stacked, about 100 to 120 mm from the wall with a bit of straw, reathers thrown in...
The big ones...they just drop eggs everywhere, these are collected every few days and thrown in an incubator..then when they hatch the wife puts the chicks in a heated box with a light buld at one end.
The eggs, hard boiled go well in Salards
Dont tell guests they are Quail eggs, just tell them u have small hens signlol

I would have liked to try the californan quail with the long feather on the head....but have been told these are Very flightly..tend to jump , hit the roof and break there neck at the smallest of frights.???
And have not been able to source any..havnt looked very hard thu.

The small ones, also make good 'mice warnings' They call at night if mice are in the avairy.

Oh and the big ones, if get a fright jump up, but if they land on a shelf or ledge a meter or so high they will not jump down...for days on end!!!
And have to be real carefull you dont step on them...They are realy thick.

Thats all I know about them

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject:

THANK YOU VERY MUCH

Also what do they like what type of seed
and stuff?

And i was thinking of puting a type of sand in the
bottom of my flight? Any ideas? <v> cheers
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Also what do they like what type of seed
and stuff?

They eat anything...like hens
Hence
Quote:
"vaccuum cleaners' in avaries,

Quote:
And i was thinking of puting a type of sand in the
bottom of my flight? Any ideas?

We use pumice sand discribed in several previous posts, and why
That isa subject very much open to peoples personal preference
There is a quick seach block for the site to the left for more info on this

I would buld the flights for your main birds , and the quail are just added

A thought thu...last yr we visited some kakariki avairies that had wire floors, I didnt notice till my wife pionted it out ...the kariki, which spead a reason amount of time on the grond, walked funny, and so did the ones that where raised on wire floors and where on flat floors...
They all seemed quite happy, just walked funny.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for that and just about califorian quails
thats what my m8s dad breeds over here worth
about $120aus a pair but he said hed give me a
pair i dont wana end up with broken neck quails.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject:

Dont take what i said as gospil...its only what I have 'heard' and thats not from anyone who has actually kept them....soooo
listen to your "m8s dad "
Dunno maybe those ones that where flightly happened to be some caght in the wild..they run around the farm land in NZ

Would be very interested in what you m8s Dad has to say...like to get info from the horses mouth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject:

Well he said that heslost a few dew to the fact that theyve broken there neck and more from them jumping on perches and not coming down for days when hes away.
Any i like the look of king quails:)
KakLuVeR01

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:37 am    Post subject:

any body got quails here?
if so can they show me
some pics of there nest
box im getting some soon dont have a nest box :sad:
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject:

Quote:
The smaller ones they like open nests, a couple bicks in the back cnr stacked, about 100 to 120 mm from the wall with a bit of straw, reathers thrown in...
The big ones...they just drop eggs everywhere, these are collected every few days and thrown in an incubator..

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Quail

We keep King Quail with all our birds without any trouble. The only bother we have is that unrelated Quail will kill babies, we put a piece of about 6" high around the aviary because they can fit through aviary mesh & the ones next door will kill them. Mum & Dad will both keep them warm & feed them. We feed Termites, Meal worms & my special egg & biscuit mix when they have babies but only use a Finch grain mix when there are just adults, they will also eat any fruit & veges that the parrots drop
The parents will make their own nest using grasses etc. I have tried to post a photo for you but I am not computer literate AT ALL
they lay up to 10 eggs & take about 17 days to hatch. If you have more than 1 hen in together they will both lay in the same nest & sit on them together. Good luck
Hope this helps you out somewhat
Cheers Dennise
Karyn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:27 am    Post subject:

I keep quail in the aviaries with all of my birds.
The only ones that can't be trusted with them are the lorikeets when they are breeding. At breeding time the Lories will attack and kill the quail - that is both king quail and the larger Japanese quail. When not breeding they are fine.

The king quail will make their own nest in a corner or hollow around the aviary. They use whatever is around - grasses, twigs and leaves etc.
Don't seem to need a box at all.
The Japanese quail tend to lay eggs randomly, however I do have a friend whose female sits on her eggs and hatches them. She has a wooden crate on it's side in a corner of the aviary with straw/hay for her to nest with. (like chickens really).

King quail will hit the roof of the aviary in fright, but tend to settle reasonably quickly afterwards, and I haven't had any broken necks (maybe just lucky).
Japanese quail do tend to be a bit thick, but they are good at keeping the aviary tidy, they are pretty unflappable and their eggs are a prized delicacy for gourmet cooks. Taste like hen eggs really tho' - like Steptoe says, good in the salad.

My aviaries all have sand in the floor and sprinklers over top. The sprinklers go a couple of times a day in the summer to refresh the water bowls and dampen the ground to cool the aviaries. Since they were installed we haven't lost any birds in the heat (even Boxing day - 44deg).
I've used builders sand, and sandpit sand in our aviaries, which seems to encourage worms and other bugs that the kakarikis love to scratch for. (so do the quail).
Other than that they get meal worms, fresh or frozen grass seed, the 'bird salad' I give all the birds each day, and whatever seed I happen to feel like scattering for them.
hope that helps
EliotProvis

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject:

Hi All,
I am new to this website and am excited.
I was wondering um if KakLuVeR01 would
be able to give me the number of the Californian
Quail breeder who lives in Australia. Thanks,
Elliot Provis.

Pray Please any help would be great.
Elliot
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: