Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Parrot Society of New Zealand
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
The National Wildlife Centre
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - What are "Hybrid" Kakariki's?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

What are "Hybrid" Kakariki's?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Mutations and Species
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bertman
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject:

Hi Fiona, I havent seen this and like to hear from the gyus who recognise this what it is!
fiona

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject:

Thanks Bertman. Advice from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Everyday I notice more of these red feathers popping up all over him. They seem to be a pale red on the front but across the back of his wings he is getting a much darker blood red.

He would be at least 12 months now if not closer to 18 and up until recently he showed no signs of being any different to my other normal red fronted Kakariki's.

More importantly his sister shows no signs of this colouration?

I have heaps more photos of him so if anyone needs anymore please let me know.

I look forward to your thoughts. <v>
wyndara
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject:

fiona, you need to keep a close eye on this bird it may have an under lying problem causing the feathers to change colour, usually liver or kidney problems are to blame. it usually turns the fearhers red as in your bird. contact a good avian vet if you have one in your area.
fiona

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject:

You are kidding, really?? A health problem was the last thing I had thought of. He is just as active as usual and hasn't changed a bit except for the unusual colour coming through some of the feathers. I will keep an eye on him but I'm going to be really shocked if indeed you are right, for my little guys sake I hope he doesn't have a health problem.

What evidence of this have you seen Wyndara??

As much advice everyone can give me on this would be much appreciated.
wyndara
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject:

Any change in feather colour in a bird of his age is usually a problem. from the pictures you have posted his overall plumage looks abnormal and very rough, maybe in a moult ? I have had 2 kakarikis attain red feathering both died suddenly. I was told it would have been caused by kidney or liver failure but i admit i never had an autopsy done. this happens a lot in princess and regent parrots. heres hoping i am wrong.
fiona

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject:

He is still in a slight moult but it looks like he's coming to the end of it now. He is missing heaps of feathers on his head because a older hen pulled them out, however they too are growing back.

He doesn't have full red colouring coming through it's more a pale red and it's mainly in the one spot now? The entire thing is strange, I have never heard of such problems with birds.

I really appreciate the advice but seriously hope you are wrong, I don't know what I would do if I lost that little guy!!
Bertman
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:13 am    Post subject:

I have not heard or seen this before but love to learn what it is. Anybody...?
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Any change in feather colour in a bird of his age is usually a problem. from the pictures you have posted his overall plumage looks abnormal and very rough, maybe in a moult ? I have had 2 kakarikis attain red feathering both died suddenly. I was told it would have been caused by kidney or liver failure but i admit i never had an autopsy done.

This rings bells in my memory...a post a long time ago?, a parrot book? a disscussion with someone?....I do remember that the source was a well informed, experianced one that I have respect for...

The feather issues are not moult nor plucking, more likely mites or a heath issue.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject:

In the next few days I will post some new pics of my little guy, he looks heaps better! He most certainly doesn't have mites and the feathers on his head have almost completely grown back. All the feathers on his head and some over his body were pulled out by a mature hen he was in with. She was ready to breed but sadly he wasn't.

If it wasn't for the pale red feathers on his belly you would think he was just a regular Kakariki?

I will certainly keep you all posted on what happens with him?

If anyone knows of any good bird experts in Brisbane I'd really appreciate it.

Still hoping it's not a major health issue. Pray

Keep the suggestions coming in, although none of them sound good for my little guy, I certainly do appreciate it!
Bertman
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
If anyone knows of any good bird experts in Brisbane I'd really appreciate it

Wouldn't consider myself an expert, but i do live in Brisbane Laughing
KatieRose

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject:

Hi I am new to this site and need some help. I want to put some pics of my KatieRose on this site to show her beautiful colours. I am told that her colours are rare so I would like to get some other opinions. And she is getting very game and cheeky. she is 9 months old, bright yellow with a red crest and red and green band around her eyes and I have been looking on this site and havn't seen any with the eye bands colouring that KatieRose has. And yes she loves chillie and knows when i am cutting it up. Wierd??? But I just love her.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Mutations and Species All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: