Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Parrot Society of New Zealand
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
New Zealand Conservation Management Group
The National Wildlife Centre
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - What do u feed your Kikes?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

What do u feed your Kikes?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ToryXX
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject:

it's a mini Bonsai for inside in my room....so it's a mini tree ...and just want to know if it's danger for a kakariki or not? :oops:
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject:

The chances are ...no
Bonsia IS NOT a type of tree, it is the art of creating a miniture tree..
It therefore depends upon if the species of the tree is toxic...

I would be more looking at if the tree is in danger FROM the kakariki...
he will destory it within a couple minutes, seconds if it is not secured and he lands on it tipping it over.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject:

I have been feeding broad beans, runner beans ,peas ,broccolli, fresh chick peas,roket some cauliflour, green peppers ,sweet corn,chilli peppers,crushed garlic,mint,parsley,fennel,crafes,cucumber,A small does of spinach courgettes apple,pear (removing seeds) water melon . melon,oranges all chopped up in small pieces, soon when in season pomme granite ,I was told that this particular fruit has a very high content of vitamins I have not tried meat yet but I will be trying that out ,Just in small doses , When ever the veggie man comes I look for any seasonal greens and check on what properties the vegetable ,fruit have,
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject:

I dont think it is a good idea to have cilli pepper, the molder capsicum is OK
We feed pear /apple seeds, never had an issue.
If u keep your harder chopped veggies together they keep for 3 days in the fridge...things like cucumber tend to make the stored food go slushy
Fruit we feed 1or 2 types separately each day.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject:

I fed my Galah heaps of Chillis, The hotter the better just watch out when you kiss him and don't go to th toilet with out washing your hands first.
stune

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject:

I store all the vegges in the fridge Chop every day And Feed Once in the morning Then in the afternoon . I start the day washing the floor and the feeding areas Every Morning >then make sure its dry and I put out the egg food Leave there for about a hour >then out comes the veg I put the stuff all around the place even on the floor for the Quails to get some fresh, Obviously the foods up high falls and they eat that too , Although the others seem to enjoy foraging on the floor as well .then I give them seed.
Feeding takes me about 3 hours from 7.00am to about 10 am, afternoons is quite easy I give a small amount of veg and seed , I am still learning ,But i am getting alot of advice,thanks to this site and a few other sites and my local parrot club
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:45 pm    Post subject:

How long have you been doning that....
I was doing that yrs back, then worked out that I didnt have to.
Fresh vegiies, chopped up keeps max 2 1/2 to 3 days in the fridge..
IF one uses frozen sweetcorn and peas...it semi feezes the food so it keeps better longer.
We feed morning and evening.

With mortor bases, and sprinkle pumice sand to cover...this gets raked once a fortnight, shelves ledges roughtly scaped....if dont over feed...and keep an eye on what they dont eat much of, there is very litlle waste.
Water toughs get cleaned once a week, automatic fresh water changed once a day early morning.
We have Japanese Quail as vaccuum cleaners
There are trays of seed, on the floor, these last about a week...they eat the sunflower fast, we 'force them to eat most of the seed, the quails eat the rest...
Did u know, most birds will not fowl a seed tray...If it is not put under a perch...same with water.
We do not use any egg food or additives, other than a very small handful of cat biskets once a week.
I belive, captive birds , one should be consciece to under feed slightly, they are not as active, and even inthe wild, they underfeed.
Also flights too clean, young do not build natural resistance. continual Cleaning down creates longer and more frquent periods of dampness....dampness means worm eggs etc survive...
I walk thru with the water blaster about once every 3 yrs...with the birds still in the flights signlol
Kakariki in the wild spend much of their time on the ground forging.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 1:17 am    Post subject:

I will try to chop a few days worth of food and see how it goes, The main reason I feed this way is because I found that when i was just putting everything out at once some birds cockatiels and lovebirds will ignore the egg food and the greens and stick to just seed, this way I am finding that they always get to eat a bit of everything . also I do enjoy it :) the cleaning I have part soil part floor tiles wash floor tiles every day using vinagar for disenfectant and I have a hose and rinse the floor with water straight down the drain ,it dries up by about 11 am
steptoe I was looking at your pictures and your setup is great ,I am truly impressed mate , Good job Applause
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject:

Quote:
steptoe I was looking at your pictures and your setup is great ,I am truly impressed mate , Good job

I looked at many settups, and being a person who works hard at being lazy....one tended to put the effort in to make life eady in the long term
Lazy is not ...doing nothing, that is stupidity

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:59 am    Post subject: Pet kakariki diet

After experimenting, this is what I came up with for Cricket's diet:

Daily:
Apple, Dandelion/Milk Thistle (leaves and flowers), Carrot, Broccoli, Celery, Kiwi Fruit, Seeds, Beetroot, Seeding grasses from outside (grown from birdseed - Oats, millet and other seeds), Rice, Flax seed, various other veggies depending on what I've bought.

Weekly:
Orange, small pieces of Meat, Sprouted Seed, a shred or two of Cheese, boiled Lentils, boiled Sweet Potato, Peanuts, Bread, Capsicum (mostly eats the seeds), Eucalyptus branches with nuts, leaves, flowers.

Occasionally:
Strawberries, Blackberries, Raspberries, Mango, Pumpkin, Alfalfa Sprouts, Garlic, Chilli, Tomato, Egg white and yolk, Parsley, sprouted Mung Beans (though not worth 3 days of effort - he eats the sprout and wastes the rest), Prawns/Fish.

Things he doesn't like:
Brussel sprouts, Pineapple, Meal Worms ("Eww - MUM! There's a BUG in my food!" Laughing), Rose Hips, Nasturtium, Green Beans, Corn, Banana, Peas.

All non-fruit must be able to be lifted so he can dunk them in his water dish before eating. Broccoli florets he holds and eats like a kid does an ice-cream. Carrot and beetroot are grated. Kiwi, apple and orange I give as slices, and everything else comes as is.

Changing to this diet has done wonders for his feathers. They're now dark velvety iridescent-like green instead of the flat lime green he was, and so shiny he reflects white light. He's like a big dark green pearl. :-) I'm amazed at the true colour of these guys - it's so indescribable and beautiful.

Of course, always looking for more suggestions and improvements, if anyone has any!

Cheers,

Leah.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject:

Quote:
They're now dark velvety iridescent-like green instead of the flat lime green he was, and so shiny he reflects white light. He's like a big dark green pearl. :-) I'm amazed at the true colour of these guys - it's so indescribable and beautiful.

Yep..and with no artfical conditioners...
Amazing what a good natural diet wth varity will do...u may notce your forumula will change as to season and what is lacking what isnt, and when matng/nesting takes place

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject:

We were advised by the most recommended avian vet we could find to feed 1/3 fruit and veg, 1/3 carbs (rice, pasta, beans, lentils, etc...) and 1/3 seeds. Is there anything wrong with this regime? Should we avoid any of these foods?

Thanks,

Fangio.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject:

Is your avian vet is very familiar with Natural NZ habitate..and is aware NZ has no mammals, and the very unique way in which our birds have evolved to fill this ecological anomaly?
Also aware of the unique natural vegetation of NZ.?
And where of the very unique nature of the kakariki in the parrot world?

I would stay well away from pasta and rice.
As mentioned in previous posts and recomended...variety of veggies, fruit, protein, and about 1/3 seed parrot seed

Much of what your kakariki will eat will depend on how knowledgeable the breeder is on the natural wild environment of the kakariki, and therefore on what it , and its parents where raised on.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject:

Hi I am new to having Kakarikis and are interested in what else you can feed them

They are fed Capsicum, tomatoes, carrots, sometimes chillis(the like the seeds) peas, Kiwi etc

But can I feed them the following

Herbs - Parsley Mint sage thyme etc etc ?

Potato, sweet Potato ??
Egg Plant

Beans - Kidney, broad etc etc

Can you give them Rice - cooked/uncooked ? Pasta ?
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject:

I often chop a bit of sage, thyme, pasley, mint, etc of the herb garden and throw in with the veggies...

We dont feed chillie but do feed seeds and of the the far mildser Capsicum.

Allong with peas we add choped beans..butter, string etc whatever is in the garden at the time

Rice, pasta..no we dont, basically the latter is just flour and water..not exactly high in a lot of good stuff

Potato etc.. most of the goodness is in the peelings, these we chop up and feed in the veggie mix..

The only cooked is lean meat left overs from our dinner plate.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 5 of 11
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: