Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
MOTUIHE PROJECT
Parrot Society of New Zealand
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Can jst anybody breed kakariki's
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Can jst anybody breed kakariki's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Native Ecology and Dept of Conservation, NZ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:21 pm    Post subject: Can jst anybody breed kakariki's

Hi guys,
can anybody breed kakariki's, or do you need a permit. Is so can you have mixed avairiers or do they have to be seperate.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:04 am    Post subject:

It seems that the answers to those questions are rather confusing.
1/u need a permit ...see the DoC web links (top of the page)
2/Mixing kakariki...this also seems to be rather confusing as some of us believe 'no u cant' yet others get their permits on that basis.
3/Avairy: Taken from Apocrypha's home site.
http://www.stat.auckland.ac.nz/~jrussell/kakariki/captivity.shtml
Quote:
Kakariki should be housed in an outdoor aviary and, if successful breeding of them is desired, ONLY ONE PAIR PER AVIARY unless it is very large. Recommended dimensions for an aviary housing one or a pair of birds are 4 m long x 3 m wide x 2 m high. Minimum dimensions are 3 m long x 1 m wide. If pairs of kakariki are to be housed in adjacent aviaries, double wire is recommended since cock birds can be very aggressive towards other kakariki and bite the toes of their unsuspecting neighbours.

The aviary must contain a draught-proof all-weather shelter, enclosed on 3 sides to protect the birds against the elements and to accommodate the feeding and nesting facilities. Kakariki are active fliers, so do not clutter the aviary with perches - one natural branch perch at each end is sufficient. Pieces of doweling or pipe should never be used as perches.

The all-important aviary floor must be kept clean. Concrete is the easiest to clean but the birds are avid foragers so an area of soil should be provided. Alternatively, natural and sand/pumice floors can be provided, but care must be taken not to let the ground go sour. If soil floors are used, turn the ground regularly; if sand or pumice, replace it regularly.

I have searched the DoC site several times and find no reference to capitivity as such, nor any written guide lines.
Flights 1.2m wide 2.5m long 2m hiegh are more than adequate, and mixing with another pair of quiet parrots like crimsons/burkes/turkquines works well if all pairs are introduced to the flight at the same time.
Also the open end direction should not face prevailling winds.
Our experianced off shore members are able to provide far more practical information in this aspect.
Their are other issues that are also somewhat conflicting.
e.g being allowed to hand raise birds.

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:51 pm    Post subject:

Try moving (LOL). You don't need a permit for kakarikis anywhere else in the world (except New Zealand). In South Africa, we need permits for Cape Parrots, Meyers and a few other Southern African species.

I believe every experienced bird breeder should be involved with the conservation and captive breeding of their indigenous species.
mcoleman

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 3:00 am    Post subject:

My Kakariki is banded and I live in Canada. I want to breed mine but I have no idea where to do the banding.
kakariki
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject: banding??

What do you mean by banding?? I never heared of this. Do you mean de ring on the leg of the bird?

Rob
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject:

I think he means the ring on the leg...
English can be confusing, d'oh! (often entertaining) as to what part of the world one is in.
EG my post on 'ringing necks' Think
Leg bands is an area we haven't covered in the forums...I don't use them for several reasons.
1/Our Government will not recognise private breeders as a supply of heathy birds for release into the wild..therefore there is no need to trace our birds in the wild wall
2/We don't breed mutations or have a great number of breeding pairs at one time and keeping trace of the blood lines is a simple matter...The NZ Government regulation size of flights and cost is beyond a larger breeding line enterprise for the ave enthusiast. wall

We would appreciate if some of the off shore breeders added a detailed discussion below on how to, best practises below this post. I can split off later as a sticky reference thread like the feeding aviary threads.
Cheers
Steps.

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 1:16 am    Post subject:

I am not ringing or banding my birds at present but will have to start banding soon, particularly my African parrots.

You ring a bird at around ten days of age (varies a bit, depending on species) in order to identify the bird, to avoid in breeding and to prove that the bird is captive bred and not wild caught and in some case confirm the age. Birds are banded when they are babies as it is not possible to close band an adult bird. Most countries insist that all CITES 1 birds that are bred in captivity be close banded to help control smuggling.

Breeders should obtain their own personalised rings with there initials on and the year of birth on (of the bird). A lot of breeders use previous years rings on this years birds so you cannot be sure of age, if you did not ring the bird yourself. You might think you are buying a parrot that is ready to breed but it is still a juvenile.

To obtain rings, you will need to approach your local / national parrot or avian society and they will be able to tell you where to place an order for rings. You obviously cannot band / ring a kakariki with budgie rings or macaw rings, you need to get the correct size. I will try and read through my bird books and mags at home to get a kakariki size and post that soon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Native Ecology and Dept of Conservation, NZ All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: