Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
The National Wildlife Centre
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Two of the same
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Two of the same

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cabbie

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 1:41 am    Post subject: Two of the same

Hi
I have two Kakariki's the oldest is a female she is about 17 months( i know this for sure cos she has layed eggs in the past.) About six weeks ago i brought a new bird a Baby Kakariki (i am hoping this is a male,well put it this way i asked for a male..signlol) A few days back the female started to go into her love making mood..and tryed it on with the younger bird I did not find this a prob, other than the younger bird made actions the same as her, I thought the male would try and mount the female not the other way round. I understand that he might be to young for love making at this stage. Would two female birds make advances to each other or is it that the younger bird does not know what it is about at the moment...Mind you the younger bird does show lots of signs of being a male..such as being bigger,more pushy, and a lot more vocal..Hope this is all clear..many thanks...
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:32 am    Post subject:

Hola Cabbie!

the guy will eventually find out! Give him some time! Laughing

If you wish, upload a photo of the 2 birds, so we give you a second guess, but if they are really different in size, specially their heads and beaks, I'd say you have a pair.

Regards / Pablo

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
Cabbie

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:05 am    Post subject:

Thanks Pabloc
I think the bit that is confusing is the female is so much older than the younger bird which is making sexing the younger bird hard..surely the older bird would be bigger regarless..just have to wait and see what happens..once again many thanks...cabbie..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: