Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
MOTUIHE PROJECT
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
New Zealand Conservation Management Group

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Please help!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Please help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Birdlover

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Please help!

I started off with a pair of kakarikis in an aviary 10 x 4 ft, 6 x 4 ft flight and 2 x 4ft inner part.

I then put a nest box in and they had 5 successful chicks, just before the last chick left the nest box the male started attacking two of the younger ones, one male and one female?

I moved them into my other mixed avairy, all of the chicks have now left the next box, so far the male hasn't showed any signs of attacking the other 3. 2 female and 1 male.

I thought it might be because the nest box was still in the avairy, i've now taken it out so they can't do any more breeding.

I tried putting one of the babies back (female one) as soon as she was in the male went for her so I had to take her straight out again.

I was hoping to just have one avairy with Kakariki's in it, I thought it would be great for the parents to share it with their own young.

It there anything I can do to stop the adult male attaching his babies, I am worried that he will start on the other 3 that are left, I would really like to put the other 2 back in this avairy too?

I'm worried the 2 I have moved into my mixed avairy might start attacking the smaller birds when they start to mature?

Would really appreciate some advice. As I really want to keep them.

Thanks!
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 12:44 am    Post subject:

This and related subjects have been discussed in old threads
Basically, the flight needs 2 nesting boxes, as the chicks start to get adult feathers in the box, the female goes to the 2nd box, and the male carries on feeding everyone.
Chicks come out of the box, and weaned about 2 weeks later as the isis forms
The female goes from one box to the other about every 8 to 10 weeks, popping out chicks.
With 1 nesting box, 2 things can happen
1/The most common, the female and male look for another unoccupied box, cant find it, cause stress and start to 'clear' out the orginal
Or
2/they are quite happy to raise new eggs plus the current chicks in the new box, and still happy to have them as an extened family unit.
The latter as far as we can assitain has not been recorded until some experimenting we carried out several yrs ago...and these where kakariki that had been kept in established flocks for a couple yrs.

The generally accepted, and I agree with, in capitivity, and because of practical reasons, is 1/

To under take 2/ means having several avairys and large holding flights over several seasons

Quote:
It there anything I can do to stop the adult male attaching his babies, I am worried that he will start on the other 3 that are left, I would really like to put the other 2 back in this avairy too?

Have 2 nesting boxs

Quote:
I'm worried the 2 I have moved into my mixed avairy might start attacking the smaller birds when they start to mature?

No, kakariki mix better than most birds, even with burkes, quiet turqs, finches, just about everything...But do not expect to breed the other birds, the kakariki will treat their nests as toys.
And dont try to breed kakariki with others present, even large birds like kings, they will intimidate them rather bad....Not attack, as do red rumps, and most other parrots.

All of the above is the most common, general behavoural trates...always remember, the higher parrots have their own individual personalities...yes some are more agressive, some more passive, and even the personality of their mate influences individual behavour.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 1:22 am    Post subject:

Sorry I should have mentioned I tried a second empty nest box in the avairy for them, this seemed to make the problem worse?

duno
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject:

Some time it has helped, but if the parents have already settled for the 1st box...they may not think the 2nd is a good alternative.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: