Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Parrot Society of New Zealand
New Zealand Conservation Management Group
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Taming a kak
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Taming a kak

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Public Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walle

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Taming a kak

I have had a baby male for about 3 weeks. i was hoping he would be a bit more social by now. When he's tired at the end of the night he will let me put my hand in his house without jumping away from me, but during the day when i go in to feed him he jumps away. I always aproach very slowly and take my cues from him when i am too close. Am i expecting too much too soon? He ventured out of his house for the first time today and went back after about 40 minutes. he didn't try to approach us,just explored around.

Thanks
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Am i expecting too much too soon?

Depeds on what you are expecting...
If u want an emotionally dependant pet like some sulphur cresteds and inheirant issues of feather plucking when u dont have the time, a kakariki is not of that nature.
At this age, and little older they are like teenages, as the get older more laid back, 1 to 2 yrs...
Kakariki keep their independant nature, are on the go most of the time, when u are their subject of interest, and they are the subject of your interest at the same time, then you play together.

Run a site search (quick search block to the left and a seach buttomn above) for words like tame personality

Cheers
Steps

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:08 am    Post subject:

this is my second kakariki. My first one was more freindly by this point -guess it's unfair to compare- also, i'm wondering if we had a set back last night. he came out of his house again but didn't go back in on his own., I had to catch him with a towel. do you think that will affect his trust in me? Should i continue to let him out and risk having to do the same again, to let him and explore and take a bit longer to gain his trust? or keep him in his house till he is more comfortable with me grabbing him to put him back in?

thanks
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject:

Couple tricks for a house parrot
His cage, his domain, safety, terrority
Dont in vade it play in it, if he get to the stage of attacking u when u clean, that is good
Put a shoe box or similar in the cage so he can 'hide' sleep

Always feed/water him in the cage, a few treats to tame outside is ok

Getting them back..if the cage is there home/safely, they will return at dusk, or simulated dusk..curtains drawn darkened room...or choose time out so it is evening, and turn lights right down

When u let him out, do it as much as possible AND as long as possible

Our King parrot has the cage door open 24/7...even when we go on holiday

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject:

Thank you! i'll try that tonight, and turn off all of the lights. i wish i could let him out longer, but we have 2 small children and i don't trust them with him yet. When he is more trusting of me and i can quickly rescue him if need be (the boys absolutely loved our first kak, and were all over him when ever he was out) he will get more "out" time. I will work on putting my hand in his house - thank you for the tip on how to search the site. I was always trying to find topics using the search at the top of the site, and was getting too many results and never finding your post.
thankx!!
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject:

Quote:
was getting too many results

Often stuff is repeated many times over the yrs here

Quote:
but we have 2 small children and i don't trust them with him yet.

Ho small? never underestimate your children,
Should have seen the pride when one of our 7 yr old sons after spending several very paient days with a kakariki and tamed down by himself ...
Even our 18 month old Grandson spend hands on time with Bob, the house parrot.
once they sort out their 'pecking order" (pun intened) they get on well

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject:

2 and 4 years. old enough to be gaga over watching and wanting to touch the bird, but still don't understand how fragile they are. they are both all over his house, poor little guy! he retreats to his sleeping perch until they go away. i pull them back when they touch or try and poke into his house, but outside of that, they aren't going anywhere, so i want walle to get used to them. That's great about your little ones! it's so nice to see them interact. I still remeber how excited mine were when our first bird would land on them! lot's of fun! can't wait!
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
i pull them back when they touch or try and poke into his house,

Thats what I mean about pecking order, so the children over step the mark..and get a nip..its not going to kill them or scare for life..
they learn a bit of respect..
And the kakariki, knows who and who not to trust, and stays out of the way if needed.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject:

you're right, it won't scar them, and they do need to learn to respect his space, and the hard way is usually what sticks the best.

i'll keep let you know how it goes, and i'm sure i'll need more help along the way!! thanks so much for all your help!!

Oh - one other thing - walle is still missing some feathers near his ear. it's actually quite bare and i can see his ear canal. how long do you think it will take the feathers to come in and if/when i should be worried?
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject:

Ear...most lilkey mites, invernectin....look in the vets section, mites
2 or 3 doses 10 to 14 days apart
Last thing u need is secondary infection from any scratching, or mites/parasites under the skin.

You should notice improvement week after the 1st dose...dont stop the following doses, need to kill any eggs that may hatch and reinfection

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:59 am    Post subject:

i may have to take him to the vet. The only products i can find in the pet stores are a spray with the active ingredients "pyrethrins, pyperonyl butoxide". Is there a chance that it could just be his feathers haven't come in yet? He is still molting. Also, if it is mites, is it contagious? And is it causing him any pain??

thanx
walle

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:20 am    Post subject:

I'm sorry...i didn't describe this properly....he has lack of feathers on both sides of his face around his eye, and on his right side it goes as far back as his ear canal. I noticed this morning there is one lone feather coming in in front of his ear canal. I really hope it's not mites, i was doing some reading and they can be nasty. he doesn't seem irritable or trying to go at these bare spots. also, the bare spots have little white dots...i just assumed it was the beginnings of the feathers.... i hope i have described it better. the guy i bought him from breeds them, but isn't an "accredited" breader. he told me he is a healthy bird, but i didn't expect him to say otherwise. he has been like this since i got him, and the guy told me that it was just that he was molting and his feathers hadn't come in yet.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject:

Quote:
i may have to take him to the vet. The only products i can find in the pet stores are a spray with the active ingredients "pyrethrins, pyperonyl butoxide".

Pet shop remedies have been discussed before, with some contempt.
Sourcing is aso discuussed, from internet, vet ans sheep farmer

Quote:
Is there a chance that it could just be his feathers haven't come in yet? He is still molting.
No

Also, if it is mites, is it contagious?
Yes, as nits are in school
And is it causing him any pain?? Discomfort

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject:

Well...i got him to the vet yesterday. WE went away for a week, and being late friday that i found out he probably has mites, i was unable to get him in. when we got back he had lost double the amount of the feathers on this head...poor little guy. the stress of us going away obviously made it worse, not to mention haveing to get reaqainted with him. i helped her give him his first dose of ivrmectin, and i have the 2nd dose for next monday. i really hope it works.

wish us luck!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Public Discussion All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: