Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
New Zealand Conservation Management Group
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
Parrot Society of New Zealand
The National Wildlife Centre

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Grieving Kak
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Grieving Kak

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Forum Rules And 'How To...'
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:01 am    Post subject: Grieving Kak

Hi
I am only new to this although I did have a Kak for 16 years, before my present two - now one Crying or Very sad
My partner bought me a pair of kaks (Mork & Mindy) in March of this year after losing Fred, my previous kak. They were bought as a breeding pair and both appeared to be very young. Unfortunately the female died just last night.
She had been 'sneezing' a lot and was puffed up but always seemed to be eating and drinking so we kept them both warm in a corner of our lounge.
Anyway, as I said, she has died resulting in Mork being left in the cage alone. We do have a cockatiel in a cage next to him and always have done since they came into the house, but he seems to be 'inconsolable'!!
Is there anything we can do to help him relax?? :?:

Please help a kak in need!!!

Evie
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject:

Sorry to hear of your loss

Sneezing could be crop worms
They are there for a long time and no symptoms, other than weight loss of the breast, (picked up by feeling, not very noticable unless to the trained eye) then sneezing...sometimes a bit of vomiting which can go unnoticed
From then A bird tends to go down hill very fast unless crop dosed.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Grieving Kak

Thanks for your concern

Like I say, I am reasonably new to this, my previous Kak, Freddie had no problems at all and lived a long and happy life. Crop worms? How do I ensure that Mork doesnt have/wont get them?? He is showing no similar signs of what Mindy had although he's being very 'vocal' about his loss!!

I sooo want to ensure he will again be happy and healthy!! Is it a case of taking him to a avian vet?? or is there a remedy that I can buy online??

Thanks again for your help ... have you any suggestions for a 'broken heart'? Morkie seems soo down ... Bless him!

Ta
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject:

Dose with invermectin...this dose most worms and mites...may need a vet to do this...see older posts on nvermectin
Wash cages and accessories, rinse with 50/50 soln water vinegar
And add a little apploe cider vinegar to the veggies once a week.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject:

Hello Evie,

Sorry to hear about Mork and Mindy. Would you consider getting a new girlfriend for your kak?
Evie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:07 am    Post subject: Girlfriend??

I never really thought of replacing Mindy. As they were bought as a pair I was assuming that Mork wouldnt 'take' to another female?? Im not sure, it may be an option. Is it normally a problem introducing an outsider at this stage? He seems to have settled a bit tonite but I just hope he will be alrite .... Pray
pavs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject:

Hello, Evie!
I think Steptoe is definitely right about the Ivermectin treatment - just in case there is a health issue. I don't know anything about the vets in Northern Ireland, but apparently there is an avian vet in Dublin. I have a great vet in Cork, who succesfully treated my birds with Ivermectin, but he would be little bit too far for you I guess. d'oh! If you are interested I could forward the number to you, because he may know about someone in your area.
I don't think introducing a new female would be a problem, if they are both healthy. Just introduce them to each other gradually.
I had a pair of celestial parrotlets and when the female unexpectedly died, the male was unconsolable. It took me three months to find a new female, but the difference in the male is simply unbelivable. I think in cases like these nature usually takes over...and life goes on! Wink
Evie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Grieving Kak

Thanks for all your advice, I have just found a very good avian Vet based in Newtownards, Jubilee Veterinary Clinic. I think I'll ring and have a chat tomorrow to see what they suggest. Jack my cockatiel seems to be keeping Morkie's spirits up at the mo ... I can hardly hear myself think!! Once I make sure Mork is healthy I may consider a lady friend for him again, although it does break your heart when something happens to them that you think you could've avoided. Oh Well ... Like you say ... life goes on .. I'll keep you informed .... Anxious Anxious
pavs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject:

Best of luck and let us know how you got on! Laughing
Wiccawolf
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: The loss of a loved one is so traumatic

Sorry about the loss of your hen. I also lost my fav hen Lucy ( RF Lutino )three weeks ago to complications in laying. 700 dollars to the vet and he still could not save her ( tried for 3 days ). Rickie, her mate spent next to no time "grieving". I do have to say he was very vocal for the first two days she was at the vet. 3 weeks later he has already accepted a new hen in his cage, although I do not see any bonding behaviour yet between them... she however is trying quite hard to get him to accept her. He does not seem to give a shite but at least there is not any rejection or aggression on his part. It's terrible. I was far more upset than he was. Like with people, some handle it well, others do not. I would give him a while then get him a replacement. Good luck and keep us posted
Wolf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Forum Rules And 'How To...' All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: