Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

MOTUIHE PROJECT
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
Parrot Society of New Zealand
New Zealand Conservation Management Group
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Importing kikes.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Importing kikes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Native Ecology and Dept of Conservation, NZ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tontana
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: Importing kikes.

I was really unsure of where to put this thread...move it if you think it's inappropriate to be in this category :)

I would in the future like to get some new blood and furthermore what I've seen from the breeders abroad I can't say anything else more than that I'm mighty impressed by your birds and your work.

But how is it with laws and such? I've tried to gain some wisdom from numerous of CITES pages, but no luck. I'm not that good at understanding such things I suppose.
So, is there anyone whos got any experience when it comes to importing/exporting kikes in Europe? All answers is very much appriciated.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:12 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I've tried to gain some wisdom from numerous of CITES pages, but no luck.

CITES is a huge beaurocrtic obsticule
How it applies inside the EU
Maybe Peter or some of the guys in Eurpoe can explain

As far as NZ goes, forget import or export of any bird native or exotic, the Gov and DoC have their head in the sand
But to import reptiles, fish, cats, dogs even if they are a potentual risk to local enviroment, its not too hard to get permits to do so. Shocked

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject:

[quote="Steptoe"]
Quote:

But to import reptiles, fish, cats, dogs even if they are a potentual risk to local enviroment, its not too hard to get permits to do so. Shocked

For real? I've kinda looked up to NZ and thought that they had it going on when it came to conservation and keeping animals in general...

Oh...gods..I don't know what to say...don't know if I should cry or laugh about it, think it's a mix...sure dogs, you could keep them in a leash but cats...and reptiles who people grow so easily bored of and which adapts so easily to it's surroundings...

No it's just sad, plain sad. I can imagine your frustration, especially when you work so hard on saving a species native to the very country you live in!
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject:

Quote:
For real? I've kinda looked up to NZ and thought that they had it going on when it came to conservation and keeping animals in general...

Yeah...and the grass roots guys are the best in the world...
Inspite The beuacratic BS and politicians

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject:

[quote="Steptoe"]
Quote:

Yeah...and the grass roots guys are the best in the world...
Inspite The beuacratic BS and politicians

That's really great tho :)
It's the grass roots guys that most of the times makes the biggest difference
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject:

The would achieve many times more if they didnt have their hand tied behind their backs and a noose around their neck by beaucrats upstairs.
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject:

Hi!

I know that there are some importing/exporting agents around the world, but... might be costy.

Even between European countries, supposedly it's no problem to trade birds, but then... it's quite difficult to find someone to ship them. I'm trying though to make some contacts and see if in the future I can get hold of an agent/trader to get birds from some French/Dutch/Belgian breeders.
On the other side... if you are willing to drive for 2/3 days... you can buy anything you want.

Outside Europe... I don't know actually. Some countries require a quarantine in a certified facility, but finding that isn't easy, specially now that most imports of wild caught south-american and african birds is banned.

If you find out something... let us know.

Regards / Pablo

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
Tontana
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject:

pabloc wrote:
Hi!

I know that there are some importing/exporting agents around the world, but... might be costy.

Even between European countries, supposedly it's no problem to trade birds, but then... it's quite difficult to find someone to ship them. I'm trying though to make some contacts and see if in the future I can get hold of an agent/trader to get birds from some French/Dutch/Belgian breeders.
On the other side... if you are willing to drive for 2/3 days... you can buy anything you want.

Outside Europe... I don't know actually. Some countries require a quarantine in a certified facility, but finding that isn't easy, specially now that most imports of wild caught south-american and african birds is banned.

If you find out something... let us know.

Regards / Pablo

Hello Pabloc thanks for your answer and I apologize for my late answer, but life has gotten in the way.

Hm, ok yes shipping might be a problem...and since I do not have a drivers license, that might be tricky as well :P

I'll try to do some more research, and I'll make sure to post any info that I find here :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Native Ecology and Dept of Conservation, NZ All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: