Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
Parrot Society of New Zealand
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
New Zealand Conservation Management Group

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Experimenting with Flocks and Breeding
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Experimenting with Flocks and Breeding
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Native Ecology and Dept of Conservation, NZ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject:

2 flights
1 1.2 x 2.8 deep 2 m heigh
the other 2.8 wide 1.2 wide 2m heigh
In effect 1 flight one would always be close to veiw the birds from outside te other one looked into the back

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject:

Steptoe wrote:
Quote:
I would like to ask how this flock experiment has ended, if you don't mind.

Which part ?
And if I minded I wouldnt have made the web site thumb

Well... it's nice to ask when digging someone else's garden! Laughing

Thanks for the info on the new system. I guess those birds you moved them from your old place to your new residence, and mixed them all together (am I right?).

I was very much afraid of breeding them in a colony, as they have the reputation of beeing very aggresive when breeding (and they aren't afraid of bigger species on mixed flights as I have been told), but your experiment is showing that maybe it's not so bad (if you meet suitable conditions, still to find out).

Maybe you hit the nail saying that problems are "less problems" when there is a big flock, rather than just 2 or 3 pairs breeding. Then enough space is another issue, and monitoring of "too dominant" individuals.

Quote:
No terroitoral issues except 1 male, the dominent guy who has taken over the rear of an end flight
A female is sitting on eggs in a nesting box in one of the middle flights...
Once again like previous experiments im not sure which male is the father because the rest of the kakarki are acting like uncles and aunties

So... the flock settled down rather peacefully after all, and they are even breeding without problems.

Regarding what you say about the rest of the flock acting as uncles and aunties, what do you mean... do they take care of the chicks and feed them when they beg for food, or that cough cough... all of them are very friendly to each other when it comes to mating?

And yet another question... in this new aviary are still the folks taking turns to have a look into the nests or they relaxed a little bit about this gosip thing? It surprised me, as the 2 hens I have that already went to nest, complain a lot when anyone perches over the nest or is flying nearby.

Regards and thanks!

Pablo

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject:

Yes the avairy with several flights doors open are at out new home.
Keep in mind there are nesting boxes cannot been seen from the next flight.

I would not attempt breed in a colony unless I had the facities to divide flights of or spare flights avalible or able to knock up another avairy within a couple days.....and the flock has been together for 6 months to a yr.

Uncles aunties...its like the other birds in the flock are accepted/torated to the extent to be able to hang around the nesting box for short periods, able to look inside, stuff like that...
Sort of like the parents tolerate me, looking into the nesting box and stuff but how far it goes depends on how well the parents trust the rest of the flock and me.

We have only ever had 1 pair breed in a flock, thu tried several nesting boxes. I dont realy know why.

Yeah hens complain...but there is the complain because they are females and raising children can get ones nerves a bit frayed...and there is complaining because they dont feel fully secure..there body language gives away which is which.
Dont think I will let my wife read that signlol

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject:

Steptoe wrote:

Dont think I will let my wife read that signlol

If she reads... hit the fan

Back to the subject.... my hens complain about someone perching on the nest and flying around even when they are still on eggs. (is it possible that I'm confusing the hen begging call with a "complain"?).

Let's see if as the flock is more established some other pairs try to breed in the colony.

Regards,

Pablo

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject:

Quote:
my hens complain about someone perching on the nest and flying around even when they are still on eggs.

This would suggest for our observations here the flock has yet to fully estabish its self in the single flight/area.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject:

This is a great read. Any updates or are things still progressing nicely?

Still only the one pair breeding in the flock Steptoe?
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject:

Only 1 pair breed in the flock
much of this was couple yrs ago
Conclusion is basically, with smallsh flights 8 to 12 m cube , yes one can get them to breed in a flock, but only if the flock has been established for a long time...
And as far a practical terms, it is not worth doing so for the ave breeder.
Managng to hold an established flock, and keeping on top of different pairs breeding programs in other flights as the seasons pass.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Native Ecology and Dept of Conservation, NZ All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: