Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
New Zealand Conservation Management Group
MOTUIHE PROJECT
Parrot Society of New Zealand
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Kakariki Size (Small pied cock)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Kakariki Size (Small pied cock)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Mutations and Species
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ben
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Kakariki Size (Small pied cock)

Hi all,

I was speaking to a breeder today who said it was common to see a pied cock bird that is on the small side for a Red Front Kakariki. I am interested to hear what others think of this.

I have a pair of pied Kakariki. The hen is 11months old and the cock is 4months. The hen is noticeably larger than the cock bird. Does a 4 month old Kakariki have much growing left to do?

Cheers
Ben
Wiccawolf
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:50 pm    Post subject: Still got some growin' to do

Laughing Yes, your 4 month old still has some filling out to do. Although he is for the most part 90% full grown he will fill out significantly over the next few months. I have found that They don't achieve full size til they hit adulthood at 8-12 months ( dependant on the bird )
My pied RF took about 11 months to get to the size he is.
Enjoy your Boy. Cheers! cheers
Wolf
Ben
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject:

thumb Thanks Wolf.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject:

Occassionally we do get a small male or female
When er have breed off these, it doesnt seem to make any difference to the off spring.
Sometimes the complete opposte, a ave male and very small danty female have produced some of the biggest females I have ever seen. larger than the ave male Shocked
The odd part is althu she is huge in the body, the beak is still the normal size, so at 1st glance she does look a bit odd
We have here currently paired up this season

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject:

Cool, I don't have to worry about my fella being undersized then. I am guessing it could have something to do with being hand raised that he is a little smaller then normal.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject:

I do belive hand raised are generally a little smaller than well supplied nest raised
All our birds are nest raised, then tamed after if required

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject:

An interesting subject in this matter is called 'Heterosis' or hybrid growth force. This occurs when both parrents are very distant related.
Below is an abstract of what I've found on this link: http://www.canaries.org.uk/download/inbreeding.html
It is worth to put it in a frame and hang on the entrance of every breeders aviary.

When you have a champion racer from an outcross mating, you have a genetically unique bird that has never existed before. There are gene combinations in that bird that do not exist in any other bird in the world. The trick is to pass some of those gene combinations on to as many offspring as possible. Breed the champion to as many different mates as possible, while keeping only the best youngsters. Next let these youngsters mate to distant related mates. Keep only the best youngsters. These second generation youngsters then should be mated to cousins that have the champion in their pedigree. Hopefully, some of the gene combinations that made the champion a champion will combine in these cousin to cousin matings. If this happens, then desirable characteristics have been fixed in the resulting birds and a family based on the champion genes can
be established through further gentle inbreeding.

The other side is that we breed away from the original form.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject:

Once again, an excellent link Peter..
A must read for any new lay person starting out, in simple terms
I have contacted then to to get permission to publish here

Cheers
Steps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Mutations and Species All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: