Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
MOTUIHE PROJECT
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Kakariki Machine Gun
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Kakariki Machine Gun

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ben
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Kakariki Machine Gun

Good morning all,

I was wondering about this call (noise) my female Kakariki makes. She sounds like a machine gun. Some times it is just a quiet little squirt of the trigger but most of the time she lets loose and empties a few magazines, if you catch my drift. Is this a normal Kakariki cry or has she learnt to impersonate another bird from her aviary days?

If it is her natural cry is it generally just the noise they make or is she upset or warning of danger?

Cheers
Ben
Ben
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject:

Here is what she sounds like (if it works).

Machine Gun.wma
 Description:
Kaka
 Filesize:  96.93 KB
 Viewed:  2828 Time(s)

Ben
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject:

Try this as I couldn't get it to work.

Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject:

Yep thats normal, ours call like that and the others reply from the avairies on the other side of the section out of line of sight
It seems to be a call to see iff anbother kakariki is in long distnce ear shot, rather than calling to another bird 4 flights down in the same avairy.

Our King and crimsons do the same..in their language, and the house king calls back
Fortunatly the house king has only heard the call in the distance so doesnt realise he should by 5 times louder
Oh and he does talk 'kakarki' very well..as his 1st language to..he grew up with kakariki.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject:

Hi Steptoe,

Well that's good to know. Maybe she is searching for a real man as she has been hopping in and out of the nesting boxes but the male in with her is still young and doesn't appear to be to interested.

I just wish she wouldn't do it at 0530. d'oh!
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:12 am    Post subject:

Early to bed, early to riase makes a man heathy, wealthy, and wise

Try it for a week..get up with him, do your study whatever, then head out to work
u will be amazed what u get done in a day, and how alive one feels
City ppl dont realise that birds are part of natural balance of nature, and that includes humans...they are the alarm cock, and not only that are so far advanced they are automatically adjusted to daylight savings time...EVERY day of the yr.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject:

Steptoe wrote:
and not only that are so far advanced they are automatically adjusted to daylight savings time...EVERY day of the yr.

Laughing They have to automatically change, imagine how tiny the bezel is on their watches. Whistle

I just spent 14 months OS working on a construction site. Started work at 5am and finished at 6pm. I was so looking forward to a sleep in but I guess I will have to wait for daylight savings as they shouldn't start their calling 'til 0630. d'oh!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: