Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

The National Wildlife Centre
MOTUIHE PROJECT
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Taming
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Taming

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Public Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LauraBatch

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:53 am    Post subject: Taming

I have 2 Kakarikis and was wondering the best way to tame them? The male will take some sweetcorn from my hand when he wants to but if you get too close to him he will fly off! He did let us stroke him for the first time ever the other night when we got his baby out for a little fly but we have tried to do it since and he doesnt want to know, he is far more interested in rying to eat my flowers!
Any advice would be great
Laura
Mysty

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:46 am    Post subject:

I am new, but what I hear is that you need to get them used to having your hand in the cage. I also understand that they do not usually sit with you like many parrots. They love being with you, near you and around you, and sometimes even on you, but not petted, cuddled or scritched.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject:

Quote:
take some sweetcorn from my hand when he wants to but if you get too close to him he will fly off!

Tamiong parrots is one of the most rewarding of all things
It is not difficult...just...very touchy..wrong word.
The more rewarding anything is the more effort hast to be put in
no pain no again sort of thing

It is all about geeting their trust...watching , getting to know their body language, ..eg to beable to aproach, notice the ever so slight tension of muscles, flash of and eye, slight lift of feathers....know when they are thinking about moving on, then backoff and ignore.
Finding out what they like, sounds, tit bits, and giving them a selfish reason to come to you.
How well they respond soley depends on how well u do.
The reward is the satisfaction in your own abilities.

To the left is aword/phrase "quick search" box there is a lot of more detailed info in older forums.

Cheers
Steps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Public Discussion All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: