Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
New Zealand Conservation Management Group
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
MOTUIHE PROJECT

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - new member help needed
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

new member help needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Public Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alanskakas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:01 am    Post subject: new member help needed

hi guys alan here,
firstly big congrats to all who made this site i think is great,
(1st time as a member on here) ive been reading all the forums and geting as much info as poss,
ive just bred my 1st red fronted kaks and the birds are in very good condition have a great diet (spoilt not junk well sometimes treats) they have a great deal of flight time and no drafts the hen laid 7 egs of which 4 hatched she through 1 out of her nest box and 2 are expired nonfertile which ive left in he nest , one nite i checked them (not touching just glancing )4 were alive the next day i had 3 dead? so out of the 7 ive had 1 survive im not one whos poking abou in nest a lot i left them 2 their own devices (and i have a cctv installed in box so i dont need 2 ) i bought a book by a expert in kaks seems real good and he says le nature do its thing , they will breed when they are ready as they would in the wild so hey know when they reach sexual maturity (i say this as they are yng birds) any one help did i di wrong ? or was i nature , ive installed a 2nd nest box now and mum and dad are still ffeeding he chick regular
love some commens good or bad im learning and if i made a mistake i want to know as i want he best for my birds
thanks guys[/list]
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:51 am    Post subject:

I suspect the CCTV camera
Wedid this a couple yrs ago, was instaled to the nesting box before the eggs where laid
Got a very low egg fertility rate, and the chicks died at about 2 weeks
I suspected that the infra red leds or the constant heat from them was the problem
Going back over the gigs of recordings, it appeared that the papents tended to be unusually uncomfortable at nights, constantly moving a lot

Your very similar experiance tends to confirm the suspicions I have from our experiance.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:05 am    Post subject: re birds dying

thanks and hi steps,
i also installed my camera before the eggs where laid all seems 2 be going so well like i said had 4 hatch like clockwork worked out the times days etc , i checked them in he evening all seemed well then next day 3 dead , there were no signs of harm on the babies and shes as good as gold wih the one she has now ,mum was fed by dad mum fed chick now hes started entering the box feeding mum and he chick both parents are friendly i send loads of time with them bu dad seems more friendly flys on my lap when i produce his daily platter of goodies then hops onto food dish as i hold it , im still keeping my distance i believe as long as i trea them the best i can the rest is up 2 nature and thats the way im doing things if hey breed hey do if they dont they dont as long as they are happy and heathly, i lady whom i bought them from obviously knew what she was doing they are so beautiful and prime condition im just following on where she lef off, ive noticed traits they have and one was looking 4 a new box so ive installed another whilst the chicks in the 1st box
thanks 4 ur comments , we live we learn and by racking a boffin like urself i hopefully wont make to many mistakes , and im sure over the following months il need ur expertise again
cheers mate ALAN
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:37 am    Post subject:

Quote:
we live we learn and by racking a boffin like urself i hopefully wont make to many mistakes

99% is just atttitude and common sence, and you seem to have both
I would suggest checking during the day rather than night...tap lightly on the nest box, and slowly open the lid so as the sudden light doesnt blind them....chicks and parents if in there.

Yes on the 2nd nesting box now...generally has to be before pin feathers start going green.

There second clutch you can be far more liberal in handling chicks once they can stand a bit....sounds like the parents are trusting you...kakariki are VERY tollerant of nest/chick destribance...event to removing chicks for several days, and moving nesting boxes and chicks to a new avairy or flight.

We do have a higher infertity with parents 1st time laying, but very rarely have chicks die, and when we do they are either defective or we have culled them because of defects.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject: re nestbox

thankyou steps 4 ur kind words , the chick i have still seems to have white pin feathers and is geting stronger each day (ive noticed in some pics grey feathers will mine go grey?) as i type his now i can see mum and dad both in the box feeding the chick, which is great i wasnt sure if they would abandon he chick and take residence in the new box , bu with things ive read brought me to think they wouldnt although they have shown interest in he new box mum popped in few times, one thing u could answer 4 me is ive 2 eggs ive lef in the 1st box (i know hey r expired due 2 time) i havent removed hem when should i , i read another members coment on it a while ago and he said it would help he living chick in supporting its self to lift itself up as the leg bones arnt fully developed whats ur veiw
ps any veiws on the colour the baby may become mums red fronted lutino , dads red fronted green?
cheers
Alan
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject:

The colour of the chicks...we dont have nutations in NZ, hence I am unable to comment on this
We tend to leave the eggs till the chicks leave or are close to leaving the nest...and have no reason to do so..
We will remove the eggs as pin feathers start IF the weather is real hot, we had an egg explode once and made a big mess and smell.
It is more our lazyness, to not have to clean the nest box out than anything to effect the chicks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Public Discussion All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: