Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

The National Wildlife Centre
MOTUIHE PROJECT
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Is Sage toxic?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Is Sage toxic?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keya

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:12 am    Post subject: Is Sage toxic?

I've seen some people asking for advice on feeding their kaks and noticed someone mention sage as part of the diet.

Going through some other websites I found that come consider sage as a poisonous plant for parrots.

Is this correct? Is sage toxic? Are Kakarikis ok with it or should we just avoid it just in case?

See:

http://www.theparrotsocietyuk.org/index.php/Poisons/13
http://www.akca.org/library/poison.htm
http://www.flockhaven.org/education/

ta
Peter
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:03 am    Post subject:

Like many foods, it is toxic in high doses.

The plant is toxic in excess or when taken for extended periods[238] - though the toxic dose is very large.

source: http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:APZmsHLFFuUJ:www.pfaf.org/database/plants.php%3FSalvia%2Bofficinalis+Salvia+officinalis+toxic&hl=nl&ct=clnk&cd=6&gl=be
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject:

I consider Peter (above) to be one of the most experianced, knowledgeable people on kakaki that i am aware of

Most things are toxic to us and birds if taken in high doeses or high does over a long period...
EG apple seeds have low levels of arsenic, but we need arsenic for our bodies to function
Iodine is toxic, but we need iodine t prevent gout or gouter (forget which)
A classic example of this is NZ where our soils lack this element...so the Gov introduced iodine into table salt in the early 1900s....then the PC cicil libitains decided it shuld be a "chioce" and was removed...hospitals filled up at a cost to the rewst of the tax payers, and has resently been reintroduced

Even sunflower seed in will cause obsety low fertility in kakariki and other parrots where it i not a natural wild food, this causes shortened life,

Basically everything in moderation and a good balanced diet.

There are so many 'old wives tales' usually created by so called do gooders with little or no hands on experiance, yet often have a heap of degrees after their name, who write a book full of BS...then another person writes a book later and in the back you will find an impressive list of references...and the auther becomes an expert researcher...of books.. and little or no practical expertize
I consider Peter (above) to be one of the most experianced, knowledgeable people on kakaki that i am aware of

Personally I have experimented with known toxic plants introduced to NZ and are considered notious weeds here...privit/tobacc weed and others.
I have yet to loose a bird to them....with a balanced diet avalible, the birds will not touch these plants even though they have been bred in capitivity.
These plants have been left in the flights for a week.

The great threat of toxins is where the concentations are extremely high, as in bits of lead, zinc, copper as soft alloys are left in cages or in the enviroment...Or put another way, the diference berween bids having an apple seed to being feed arsenic weed killer.

Another great threat, in the home is teflon cooking wear...we have personally lost 3 birds, a sulphur crested , rossella and a kakariki in one go due to using teflon baking pans....
Some time one feels as if you are coming down with a cold/flu bit of a headache, legs a bit achy...then next day one fells fine and fogets all about it....used the teflon non stick frying pan for cooking that steak for dinner?
And those disinfectant/cleaners u use in a spray can.bottle? and breath in there highly toxic chemicals???
Those automatic air fresheners and fly killer atomisers.....
What the hell are we doing to us, our pets and children??

Coal miners used to use a male canary to detect toxic gases...when it stopped singing was the 1st warning, when it dropped to the bottom of the cage was the last.

Sry about the rave, Im an ex industrial chemist and I know what is in these things....We had 3 children who in 1 yr would have 4 days off school for all of them..way below the national ave...the only difference was no spray chemicals and fresh veggies out of our garden, which was not strickly 'organic'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: