Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

The National Wildlife Centre
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - sick/Egg Bound Hen
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

sick/Egg Bound Hen

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Vets Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shazzjon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:08 am    Post subject: sick/Egg Bound Hen

w3c

Hi, this is my first post since joining the site, I need advise urgently please.
I purchased my Kaka last April for my Birthday and am really enjoying time with her. She tamed very quickly and seems to have adopted me as her mate. I cant go near her without her going all funny with me. She is very affectionate. The problem i need help with is this:- Last Thursday i noticed that she was not herself, After she jumped on my hand i noticed a large swelling in her rear, after looking on this site i gathered she was egg bound, so i took her straight to a vet. He confirmed that she was egg bound and gave various choices to help her. Firstly he gave her an injection to help her pass the egg, which did not work, he then colapsed the egg and she passed the shell. This was good news as the next stage was an operation which would have cost me over £800. She had a stitch and is going back to the vet later today to have this taken out. The problem is she is still not herself, she does not want to come out of her cage, she is eating and drinking, i have given her fruit and vegs as well as her seed mix. She only wants to eat grapes and seed. Every time i go near her she seems to want to bite and moves away from me. I dont know wether this is a recovery part or not.
HELP please i am really worried about her and dont want to loose her. I also want some advise to help stop her getting egg bound again.
I would like to breed her this year as looking to build an avery in my garden..
Please please any good advise would be grateful
sharon
Peter
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject:

I've never had an issue with an egg bound hen. So, with that part I can't help. What I do know is that she has a mineral deficiency. Calcium and Phosphorus are the most important minerals in this case. Another point is/are proteins. At least 1 week prior to the first egg there is a higher requirement for proteins. I recommend eggfood 'White mill' for this aim. It contains proteins, vitamins and minerals in a good proportion.
shazzjon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject:

Thank you for the advise, how to i get hold of this egg stuff. Do i make this myself to give her. Many thanks.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject:

Yes we have delt once with egg bound run a forum search...

Quote:
Firstly he gave her an injection to help her pass the egg, which did not work, he then colapsed the egg and she passed the shell.

The trouble with egg binding is when the egg is layed it is still soft, if not laid it 'sets' like concrete inside.
Sometimes injecting vegetable oil inside gives enough lubication to pass the egg...usually not thu
IF the egg is broken inside, generally this IS fatal weather it is done accidently or not... It is important that EVERY piece of shell is removed and doing so often ruptures her insides.

The vet should have given her a jam of Ca Phophorous anti boiotics and electrolite....
This is VERY important

And the follow up as Peter says above...protein can be supplied with just cooked fine chopped kidney or liver, meal worms and cheese.

I am very sorry to say egg binding is generally considered fatal, regardless even if you spent on an operation...which regardless of the out come I suggest you DID make the right call not to do so and has nothing to do with cost.
So DO NOT feel guilty if the worst comes to the worst

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:50 am    Post subject:

Crying or Very sad
Thank you for the message, sadley Kiko died this morning in my arms. I am very upset as you can imagine. I loved her dearly.
I will in time be looking for another Kaka, as i still want to build an avery and breed if possible so will be in touch soon.
thank you all.

sharon
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:56 am    Post subject:

Im very sorry for the loss...
Like I said before and are like Peter..not very experianced in egg binding
When we did have the issue, we accidently camre across a locum Sth African vet....who as it turned out had a lot of experiance with parrots back in SA.
So I picked his brains big time and ge was very forthcoming.

Egg binding is primarly due to a mineral and general diet definency in 99% of cases.
We believed in retrospect we had a very good balanced diet...balanced enough not to have a 'common issue ' thru out out our flock.
When he asked what we feed...big list (in the diet thread) including cali broccolli, he asked stems or flower part? we where using primarily flower.(which one would naturally do)
He told us forget the flower part, use the stems we dont use in our cooking. finely chopped up. It is the stems and roots of plants that have higher concentrations of minerals.
Hence we have included more stem less leave...and potato peelings and even beetroot, radish tuber..all finely chopped.

We have never had another incidence of egg binding.

Chopped beetroot tuber...the birds go crazy over it...doesnt matter if a fresh tuber or one that has been in the garden for a couple yrs and hard as wood.

Do not let this put you off getting another kakariki or bird..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Vets Corner All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: