Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

MOTUIHE PROJECT
The National Wildlife Centre
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
New Zealand Conservation Management Group
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Teflon Toxicity
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Teflon Toxicity

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Natanya

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: Teflon Toxicity

Just came across an article and some new (to me) information about PTFE poisoning/toxicosis. Have you ever heard anything about this?

The article is basically about that all overheated cookware with PTFE is poisoning to all birds and should not at all be used in any home where there is a bird.

Most of my cookware is teflon coated... And now I need to buy a whole new set of cookware... d'oh!

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=15+1829&aid=2874

What's your opinion?
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject:

just dont have teflon cooking utensiles
Run a forum search link above and "quick search" block to the left

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject:

A lot of electrical cables have PTFE insulation. If you have to solder cables do it well away from your birds, (in a different building if possible), the fumes given off if the insulation over heats is toxic to humans as well as the birds. If you strip cable make sure any off-cuts of insulation do not come into contact with a source of heat.
JimP
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject:

I forgot to add I cannot remember if PTFE insulation is toxic if eaten but to be on the safe side assume it is.
JimP
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject:

Just remembered, if you scratch a none stick pan and any minute particles of teflon fall onto a hot hob the fumes as they burn are toxic. Maybe this is one of the reasons so many kids have asthma today. I dont have any nonstick pans in the house.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject:

I believe one day Du pont will have law sutes the same way the tobbaco companys have had.....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:48 am    Post subject:

I asked the same question in a Swedish forum for parrot owners. More than one told me that they have lots of teflon pans in the household and that their parrots are just fine.
I do tend to believe you guys.. I'm hereby convinced that this is a huge problem. I read the articles written on this forum before and I'm gonna change all my cookware before I get my bird.
Thanks for your opinions!
JimP
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject:

I learnt about the dangers of PTFE in the early 70s so why don't the producers of non-stick pans and electrical cable put a warning on their products? As normal it is just the large manufacturers of these products after big bucks.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject:

In NZ and I believe in the States on the packaging, in fine print they have a warning about pets.

Lets take a parrell case...Lead in petrol...forget all the old wives tails, I have done my homework due to my research into vintages cars , compression ratios modern fuel etc etc....Lead was a multi million dollar indusrty (on todays stds billions of dollars... held up by 1 company world wide, with car manfactures, miltary, Governments, all sucked into the so called neccesssity...it took 20 yrs to get it removed.
Like the y2k bug it was a total legal money making sham.

Teflon is a huge market from Du pont, and all the industries around the world from cooking to industial. military uses, a multi billion dollar industry.....just as food additives, preservitives and cleaning products. Shocked
And we wonder why our children are lactose, glutin, fish, peanut sensitive???
exma, obese, ADD, hypo active etc etc.

If one looks at old 'home heath manuals from 1800s where a day or so horse back ride to the nearest doctor.....The stuff on child birth , diets, measeals. TB, chicken pox, worms, nits, mites etc are as modern as any 'manual ' today...But alergic reactions to fish , peanuts, lactose, bee stings etc are VERY DIFFERENT....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: