Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
The National Wildlife Centre
New Zealand Conservation Management Group

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - 1st time chicks
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

1st time chicks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Looby
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: 1st time chicks

hello all!
I have recently placed my two Kakariki' in an outdoor aviary for more freedom and frshair.
as the beginning of summer was changable I gave my female HER nest box for shelter.
assuming she was attempting her 3rd dummyrun, i allowed her the 'time up'.but she is very stubborn and protective.last friday I checked the eggs,there were nine .the first 3 were dud(which i removed) but the nxt two were a solid dull white colour ..i carefully put back as was ans left.
Saturday curiosity struck me and heypresto-1st chick <v>
monday i checked gingerly as she is hardly ever seen to leave nest to be fed..(doesn't feed self either?)..anyhow no noise but 2nd chick <v>

have decided to leave well alone as worried i've stressed her enough.
am little concerned as chicks are on bare box..all material is around perimeter of box..what will happen to rest of eggs as doubt any more...
will she be getting enough food ?
any advice greatly appreciated, thankyou in advance

ps sorry longwinded
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject:

hi mate

I suggest a thorough look at the diet sub-forum, plenty of interesting info, tips and remarks about the dietary needs and preferences of this hyper-active bird.

In fact I'd suggest with no fear any newcomer to the forum to look through the whole forum. You'll get plenty of nice info that probably you never thought about and not only will cover your basic questions, but will make you wonder about things that otherwise you would never thought of.

Regarding breeding, no worries, she seems to be doing ok.

Even before the hen starts laying the cock starts feeding her. Before laying it seems to be mostly a ritual, but after she starts brooding the male feeds her non-stop. She just comes out to poo, stretch legs and maybe a bite or a drink, then goes back to brooding (she does this a couple of times/day).

When the chicks start to hatch the hen keeps on brooding the eggs still not hatched, and the male keeps feeding her, and she feeds the chicks in return.
If I'm not mistaken it's only after certain age that the male feeds the chicks directly.

As Steptoe always says make sure they have a variety of foods with fresh veggies, so the chicks are fed off a complete diet.
If you just have 2 birds it's complicated to make a "salad" for them (they don't eat that much), so maybe you can take some of the food you prepare for yourself and give a part to them.
(i.e. if you are preparing a salad and some pasta for yourself, spare a few tablespoons for them).

We all would love to see some pics!

cheers

Pablo

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
Looby
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject:

Thankyou so much for nice feedback, feel alittle more at ease.
regarding the age neither my two are a yr old yet and the male-the youngest.wiill she cope feeding them solely?
the male is particularly fussing when come to feed so i've been giving him lots of spinach sweetcorn, pieces of tomato ,fruit and celery.will go get apple ,pear and carrot but i know he wont eat carrot.(trying also not to have any wastage as not wanting to disturb aviary too often for cleaning.)

I will scour all posts needed as find it ALL really interesting..
Heres hoping they make it...

Pray

thanks again:)
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject:

use the "quick search" block on the left or the search button above

If you cant find what you want ask...

After 5 yrs of answering the same question over and over, members just have the time to keep on repeating.

Im sure you understand ...

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:27 pm    Post subject:

Looby,

you seem to be giving them an ok diet, take a look at older posts for complementary ideas.

Steps is right about the search function and ppl asking the same over and over, but... I was bored so I typed a bit extra hehe

And yes, the hen will do ok. There are older posts on the breeding subforum with interesting experiences of some breeders. A must read.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Cheers,

Pablo

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
Looby
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:51 am    Post subject:

great thanx guys!

just bought a whole assortment of fresh fruits and veg to baffle him with Laughing
heard just one cheep from box so proud that its made another night!

soaking some arrangement of seed tonight just top up needed variety

is it ok to keep supplying new dandelion leaves daily ?-as he ravishes these like they're going out of fashion!

much appreciated for ur quick and reassuring responses Applause
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:19 am    Post subject:

Flowers and leaves...cali and broccolii stems, a few potato and pumkin skines, bit of chopped up beetroot, carrrot, sprouted afla and mustard seed
a few peas, and sweet corn...and chicken chop bones, or left over steak.
List goes ion and on
if you eat healthy so will your birds.

Basically the left over scrapes from dinner and dinner preparation.

Variety and consisatacy grows big healthy chicks into big healthy adults

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:02 am    Post subject:

Thankyou for ur wisdom and experience...fantastic site <v>
xx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: