Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
MOTUIHE PROJECT
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Hi ,is it possible
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Hi ,is it possible

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Public Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
candycane260

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Hi ,is it possible

I think my kakariki and my cocketeil are in love Think
they are in seperate cages ,but are let out 4 or 5 times a day for a good fly around .When in their cages ,they are sitting on their perches next to the bars so they are next to each other ,or at least as close as they can be .
When out of the cage they are chasing each other around the house and hiding out together in my wall unit.What should i do????
BIGBADBK
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject:

If they want to be together let them. Sure u understand about birds bonding so best let them be friends. Wish my birds got on, the Macaw stands over the Galah and tries to have a go but the Galah bits her tongue which makes her stop pretty quick.
candycane260

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: ty for your reply

I am just worried about something going on between them,as they are boy and girl?
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject:

We know Rossela and kakariki will inter breed IF forced to
And doublt very much the offspring will be fertile

There are many memners here who have other parrot species including 'teils that get on well.... like'bad says above...leave them be
If they do manage to have offspring (which we doubt the can) it is further information and knowledge we all have on kakariki

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject:

ok well ty for the info and sorry for sounding like a idiot ,but i am not a breeder or anything of the sort ,i just have birds and was wanting to find out more about chipper as i only had cocketeils before her.ty again
BIGBADBK
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject:

Just to re cap for you candycane260. They are friends and get on with each other so it would be mean not to put them together. They may be able to breed but doubt that they would and in any case the off spring will be infertile. They may well be two boys, who knows? There's a DVD called "The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill" it's quite good to see what they act like with each other. There’s a Conure that bonds with a Budgie and two male Conures that bond as well, it's sad but well worth watching.

Any one else know of any good DVDs of parrots?
skeg

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject:

ive found teils & kaks get along perfectly when housed together
i handreared 2 kaks & 2 teils for my daughter,
they all live in a large cage in our spare bedroom, the cage door is left open all day, and ive never had a problem with them, the worst thing that happens with them is one of them will want to sit in the same place that the other one is sitting, so they will have a little squabble until one backs down and lets the other have his place, i would never consider trying to cross breed them, or put a nestbox inside the cage

Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject:

It is my understanding, due to the genetic make up a kakariki and teil will not produce an off spring...they are far to apart
Their as far as I can find nothing recorded
A rossella is closer in gentic make up, even then the pairing would have to be forced
Even crossing yellow and red kakariki, this is done with forced breeding

A un paired red male female and an unpaired yellow male/female in the same flight will not pair between the species.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject:

thats interesting steptoe as u no i no nothing of them at all relly ecsept what your told me i thought they would as there the same type of bird or are they i always thought they where the same type of bird say like a perl teil an a gray would pear so are they differant u no what i mean like say cocatoos which clas galas unbrellas cockateils sophers corallas
i no this post may not make sence or sound stupid but it makes sence in my head couse i no whal im thinking signlol
xtine

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject:

oops what not whal
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:20 am    Post subject:

Steps,

I wouldn't be so sure.

I have seen once a small budgie cock have some sexy time with a young tiel when I visited a local breeder.

Kakariki cocks can be full of love sometimes and they could give a try to a female tiel. And cockatiel cocks are very keen on having a party, just female kikes are way too fast to catch signlol

I think it can be really unpredictable.

Maybe I do some experiment in the future just for Science's sake. Now I will have more time signlol

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject:

They may mate and stuff, but from what I understand the species are too far apart to produce...
Peter would be the one to comment on this.

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject:

all right

sorry mate u were meaning actually having chicks

I thought you were meaning you had to force them to have some love together haha

well... yes.. having fertile eggs would be a whole different thing indeed

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Public Discussion All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: