Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
MOTUIHE PROJECT

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - New to Kakarikis
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

New to Kakarikis

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Forum Rules And 'How To...'
View previous topic :: View next topic  
silverlady

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: New to Kakarikis

Hi everyone, I have just joined, first i thought i would introduce myself, my screen name is silverlady I am 52 nearly 53 and registered disabled, being past the point of return with lung disease plus a few others things, but thats not very important.
I have in my care 2 kakarikis that i rescued, in fact i almost kidnapped them, giving the previous owner a choice of handing them over to me or my reporting them for cruelty, the birds were being kept in a small cage and were almost bald, they are now in an Aviary, which is 10ft long and they look like completely different birds, I had never heard of this breed before and found it hard to find anything on the net apart from this site. my main concern is that one bird has started to feed the other, one is redheaded with dark green and the other red-headed and pale green, are they mating they have 2 nesting boxes in the aviary and the darker one spends time in 1 box, are they free breeders are seasonal breeders. I just love these birds, they even feed from my hand and always come up to say good morning to me, any info on this breed would be very helpful to me.
many thanks

silverlady

can i have any replies sent to my inbox, do i need to adjust the settings

Admin: email Link removed...putting email addies in posts is a target for disreputable bot who scan web sites to send crap email spam.
We do our best to respect and protect members privacy...to the extent of hiding member details emails etc unless Members are logged in...Spam bots can not login in or see these.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject:

Welcome to our community
Yep everything sounds normal....
It is important espec during recovery and breeding, to give a good diet and calcium.
I would also suggest to treat for worms and mites.
kakariki are very hardy and given good food care they recover very quickly
Quote:
are they free breeders are seasonal breeders.

Depends very much on the pair and how sever your seasons are

Quote:
any info on this breed would be very helpful to me.

This is why we created this site a few yrs back...
Above (and to the left "quickseach" block you can search for information
eg enter a word " diet " or a couple words

If you cant find the info ask.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Forum Rules And 'How To...' All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: