Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
MOTUIHE PROJECT
New Zealand Conservation Management Group
The National Wildlife Centre

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Hello im new and have a question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Hello im new and have a question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care
View previous topic :: View next topic  
May
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Hello im new and have a question

Hi... im new here but have been enjoying reading some of the posts and looking at pics of your birds....

i have always liked parrot type birds and saw some Kakarikis today in a pet shop and watched them for ages they are lovely birds and im now sort of thinking of getting some....... but my partner said they would be really noisy and skwark really loud .... his parents used to keep lovebirds and other birds but he had never heard of Kakarikis

i really like the idea of leting them fly round the house and talking but really dont want anything that is really loud .... i am at home all day now as im suffering from long term illness and get realy board.... and a little feathery companion sounds quite a nice idea...

can anyone give me any advice on the noise aspect of these lovely birds?
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
his parents used to keep lovebirds and other birds but he had never heard of Kakarikis

We had some lovebirds yrs ago...not for long..most proberly for the same reasons as your partner fears

Well they are NOT like lovebirds
Kakariki Do NOT sound like any other bird..They DO NOT squawk
They are like all birds, mainly chirpy in the morning and evening, but a small handful of veggies shuts them up...make this feed time

They have many calls...some the varity is good, unlike a budgie that has a nice chrip but after a while the non stop same sound gets on ones nerves.

Kakariki are not a loud bird

Quote:
i really like the idea of leting them fly round the house and talking but really dont want anything that is really loud .... i am at home all day now as im suffering from long term illness and get realy board

An ideal combination

I order of coice for a house compainion birs with charactor
1/kakariki
2/
3/
(2 and 3 there isnt any choice)
4/ King but getting a little more noisy but not as bad as lovebirds
5/Crimsion wing as 4/
6/ Galahs, suphur created ...NOW you are getting into real niosy each morning and sun down..but great charactor
7/Burkes, turqisines..very quiet nice chirp but getting a little more boring
8/Budgies, cocketeals
Then finches canaries...musical boxes in cages, and cant play with them as one can with the higher intellgent parrots.

Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:36 am    Post subject:

Thanks.. that all sounds really positive Laughing im not going to make any rush desisions but will have a good think about it!

I have been interested in New Zealand for a while and was a nice supprise to find that they came from there when i got home and googled them. Im also interested in whats going on in the wild with them too so its all very interesting. <v>
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject:

Quote:
interested in whats going on in the wild

That would be more of "interested in what is NOT going on with them.
Once again The NZ dept of Conservation knowingly a where the numbers are decressing dramatically, but are un willing to do anything about it, or make use of private breeders support for free, untill things become highly critical.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject:

Quote:
but my partner said they would be really noisy and skwark really loud ....

They are absolutely not loud, they are easy to look after and lovely birds. Hve I mentioned they are not louid at all? Laughing
May
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject:

[quote="Steptoe"][quote] The NZ dept of Conservation knowingly a where the numbers are decressing dramatically, but are un willing to do anything about it, or make use of private breeders support for free, untill things become highly critical.[/quot]

that seems rediculouse i would have thought that they would w3c help from breaders .... but sounds like too little too late

my parents visited NZ last year and were told about them and warned that they might pull the window rubbers off the car..... they were quite disapointed they saw none at all in the month they were there Anxious

boyfriend is still far from convinced Shame on you
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:39 am    Post subject:

Quote:
my parents visited NZ last year and were told about them and warned that they might pull the window rubbers off the car

That is NOT the kakariki that is a differnt type of large alpine parrot called kaka

The difference between the 2 is like compating a bugdie with a hawk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject:

Steptoe wrote:
Quote:
That is NOT the kakariki that is a differnt type of large alpine parrot called kaka

Dont you mean Kea ???
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject:

I stand corrected....
Thankyou... thumb

Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:07 am    Post subject:

signlol well my mum is getting on a bit .... she thought she knew what she was on about d'oh! quite relieved its a different bird tho Laughing

went to the pet place to see the birds again with my boyfriend who did think they were quite cool but thinks it would be better to get them from a breeder than a pet shop if i do decide to get 1... or a pair. ive looked online n found a few people in UK who are selling them.... but id like to have a pair that are the same and a true breed not a mixture the ones in the pet shop had rings on their legs... do these tell you anything about the breeding or how can you find out???

i also just got a book off ebay its a bit old but it hopefully will have some usefull info in although you guys seem really knowledgable and friendly and im getting a lot of usefull stuff off the site angel thanks <v>
May
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:29 am    Post subject:

Hi again... Ive been reading about the different types of Kakariki and tbh im more confused now duno

The book ive been reading says that there are really no pure bred kakariki in the UK and that they will all be crossed somewhere along the line.... I really like the red fronted type and the male of the pair i have been looking at is a really bright green but the female is much lighter and has an orange cap with a red line

pic not v good as i couldnt get close enough Sad

i was a bit worried that she was a bit wierd n not true to type... she is pretty and quite friendly and if the book ive been reading is right i dont suppose it matters.... what does anyone think???
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
orange cap with a red line

That is a yellow crown species crossed with a red crown

Go into the gallery there is a section illustraing hybrids and mutations
Not get hybrid and mutition mixec in your head
A mutation is a NATURAL genetic oddity common in nature
A hybrid is a unnatural cross betwen 2 species

And have a very close look at the kakariki that winkes at you at the top of the page..notice the very slight orange/yelooe in the crown? a non no hybrid...
It heads the web site...sort of my sick sence of humour LOL.

If all u can find is a red crown thay has a couple minor yellow feathers in the crown...get it...It maybe the most pure breed avalible
if orange like your pics, look for something better.
A hybrid like you pic is fine for a pet, BUT dont pay good money for 1 one, and dont get one if u THINK u may breed in the future.
One like in the site banner, maybe the best u can do, if u want try breeding later, do so, and selectively keep the best till the hybrid gene becomes very weak in the blood lines over time
You may fine another local breeder doing the same and work together on the 'project'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: