Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

New Zealand Conservation Management Group
Parrot Society of New Zealand
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
The National Wildlife Centre
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Well i got them ...!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Well i got them ...!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care
View previous topic :: View next topic  
May
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:07 am    Post subject: Well i got them ...!!

I decided that i probably shouldnt start thinking of the whole breading thing yet so i got the Pair i had been looking at in the garden centre... they wouldnt just sell me the male which i can understand....

although she isnt such good colours as he is she has real good entertainment value.... i think she is going through a moult as she looks a bit scruffy and she is a bit stupid.... she doesnt think before she does things and just carries on regardles.... the male ... on the other hand thinks everything out before he does it... you can see him working out how he is going to get somewhere where as she just aims and hopes signlol.... yesterday she slid down the banister backwards signlol......!!!

ive been letting them out each day for a fly...( after the 1st few days) and although they arnt really tame ... they always go back to the cage when they are tired... ive put some branch perches from the apple tree in the garden in for them and wood shavings on the floor which they love scratching about in

at the moment im feeding them a medium parrot mix cuz thats what they were eating in the shop... but they also love millet sticks ive tried them with fruit n veg.... but they wont touch it Sad and i want them to eat as naturally as they can..... the hen seems to be addicted to sunflower seeds n picks them all out and leaves loads.... she also puts her foot up to stop phooey getting any ...so they have a bowl each now...

any ideas how i can get them to eat more variety of food cuz i duno what to do

I keep putting fresh watter in a large flat dish in the bottom of the cage but they havent had a bath yet...... should i spray them with a plant mister thing ???

cheers me dears......
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject:

You are doing well..and enjoying their behavour antics

Food ..this could take many months...just keep a small supply of veggies availble a spponfull..a variry of chopped up stuff

Then after a month take the seed away for a day see what happen
maybe a couple days a while after u see them nibbling a little

Tr mixing a couple drops of apple cider vinegar in with the eggie or even a couple drops of olive oil every so often,

Bathing..kakariki tend to bath in fresh clean water, usuallt cold..try luke warm..and in the early morning...but usually when they want to
They will bath eat veggies in their own time when they are ready and want.

Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject:

thanks Steptoe.... gues im being a bit impatient... i stuck the inside top bits of a red n yellow pepper left over from cooking onto their branch erlier and after a few mins they sat there with 1 each picking the seeds off and dropping them signlol i dont think they ate any but its a start <v>
May
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject:

oh yeah..... whats eggie ??? is it a powdered egg feed?? Anxious should i be feeding it..... ??? do they need it for protien????

ive fed mashed egg yolk to chicks or sick birds before ..... wild 1's ive found n nursed beter... but didnt think of giving it to Phooey n Rosemary... i used to feed my chickens soya meal with there grain n pellets even tho they were free range cuz the extra protien helped them lay real well and stay in good condition..... the protien in the seed mix they are having is 12.8% .... Think but its ages since i learnd about animal feeds etc and that doesnt mean much now d'oh!

just read post about feeding bones meat etc.... makes sence that in the wild they would eat a lot more grubs n insects than they get ... from parrot mix from the garden centre Rolling Eyes ..... im hoping they like spiders..... they are proving to be quite good feather dusters atm

oh and theres nothing wrong with my spelling either.......... im just testing your skills in code breaking :P
May
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:47 am    Post subject:

I was about to take out the de seeded peppers and i noticed rosmary was eating it.... :)

you can jsut see a bit in her mouth
May
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 7:01 am    Post subject:

Just thought id update my progress .... any advice w3c

My birds are now eating loads of fresh food Phooey loves carot and apple and rosmary loves peppers... they are eating quite a bit of it chopped up letuce and other salad beat n couliflower leaves i tried dandilion leaves and pettles too and they ate a few they also like it when i stab a 1/4 apple onto a twig on there perch...

they are eating quite a bit off the mineral block too and to me it looks like phooey has got bigger already since i got them .... but maybe its just his tail feathers growing a bit.... he seems much brighter colour too... duno can the feathers change colour once they have grown or would that only happen when they mault :?: Rosemary is still maulting........ but her new feathers are real bright Shocked like an acid green she also has a violet colour coming through on her wings ..where phooey has bright blue... so she is a lot more colourfull now <v>

they have been trying to bath in the drinking water pot Rolling Eyes but its way too small so i have just got a plastic bath thing that clips on the side of the cage through a feed door with a plastic roof thing to stop the splashes .... but as yet they havent used it....

cheers ...may
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject:

Been away missed you posts
Quote:
whats eggie ???

vegitables

What you are seeing in colours etc , yes can be quite dramatic.
Good BALANCED diet, minerals, protien, iron etc feathers grow bigger longer and colours are dramatically changed
Balanced diet is the secret...eg without ccitic acid , protien and iron are not absorbed, then (cant rem which) they need something to absorb the citric etc...its like a big chain reaction..

Quote:
any advice?

Just keep doing what you are doing, variety...chopped potato peelings, pumpkin peelings, stems of cali, broccolli ...the stuff left over from preparing your meals...

Kakariki tends to prefer open containers to bath in..and fresh water

Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject:

Steptoe wrote:
Been away missed you posts

no probs... i think they are doing ok :) ... been anywhere nice ??

Quote:
...the stuff left over from preparing your meals...

heheh ... yeah thats what ive been doing .. its suprising how much you can find... they had brocoli tonight for the 1st time .. i stuck a bit that was a bit flowery on a twig on the perch and they are still munching away on it

and yeah... the iron/mineral thing... i cant remember either but learnt about stuff like that at college when i studied agriculture... i know quite a lot about animals..... but all i really know about birds is based on chickens n ducks and my rescuing missions of sick/injured wild birds

Quote:

glad there are other 'dotty' posters.....

n thanks loads for all your handy info .. the site is fab and reading through old posts is dead informative and helps me avoid hours of boredom :P
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: