Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
New Zealand Conservation Management Group
Parrot Society of New Zealand
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - 8 eggs on 1st laying
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

8 eggs on 1st laying
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dolf
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: 8 eggs on 1st laying

Hi,

Haven't been around for sometime, so hello everybody.

Anyway, the news are my pair of yellow (lutino :?: ) kakarikis finally decided to breed for the first time.
And they already have 8 eggs!
The laying started with the first egg on April 7, and despite I'm not 100% sure about that the last one probably on April 20.
The 2nd egg was laid on April 10, the 3rd on April 12, the 4th on April 14, the 5th around April 15-16, the 6th probably on April 17, the 7th around April 18-19, and the last one around April 20-21.

Is this normal, I mean laying the eggs for such a long period?
Well, I know that most psittacine lay their eggs every two days, I guess I was simply not used to see such a "huge" amount of eggs, as most my other birds usually lay between 3 to 5-7 eggs.

I notice that my female kakariki has been busy hatching the eggs since she layed the 1st or the 2nd one. So should I assume that if the eggs are good and if some chicks will be born, they will be born also for a long period, about the same time (some 14 days!) it took for all the eggs to be layed?

One last question for tonight: is it really worthy to hand raise baby kakarikis? I mean, once they will grow up will they be as tamed as other psittacine, such as lovebirds, cockatiels, quakers, and other larger parrots?

Thanks a lot,

Dolf
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:55 am    Post subject:

Olá Dolf,

are there any news about this clutch?

Regarding handfeeding... well, if you have the time and enjoy handfeeding, 2 or 3 kakariki are really nice to handfeed. They're quite naughty since they are born, and they become fearless to human.
I handfed 2 a year ago and I enjoyed it a lot.

Anyway... as some other members say here, even parent-bred kakariki can become tame with a little bit of social work with them.
And honestly... 3 of my cocks are quite confident with me, they come close to the wire if I'm around, and one of them bites my shoes and tries to step on them. And I bought the 3 of them already adults.

Another option is socializing the youngs from the nest. Steptoe seems to have good results doing this.

Good luck with the chicks! Post pics whenever you have them!

Cumprimentos / Pablo

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject:

Quote:
is it really worthy to hand raise baby kakarikis?

I dont think so
Reason is kakariki even when hand raised usually keep an independant natural nature . Do what they want when they want.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:31 am    Post subject:

Hi,

Haven't received the email notification(s) for these replies d'oh!

Anyway, thank you both for your opinions.

Quote:
are there any news about this clutch?

Pablo, here are the news so far.
Last week (April 30 or May 1st I guess) while checking the nest when the female was out, I noticed there was a pretty bad smell coming from the nest. So I checked all the eggs. Two of them were definetely not good (I could see one small hole in each one of them), one was very dark, the other not so much. So I took those two eggs away and opened them before throwing them out. Inside the one that was very dark, despite I'm not 100% sure, maybe there was a very small embryo, but if that was in fact an embryo, the chick was dead quite some time ago in a very early phase of his development. Inside the other egg (and it was that one that was producing that bad smell in the nest), there was nothing, I mean just some fluid.

I took the opportunity to examine all the other eggs as well, and my first impression was they were all empty. But being not sure I just let them in place. Which was a good decision as two days later (late on May 2nd), I heard some sounds coming from the nest and when the female was out I opened the nest box and there were two tiny chicks.
So far I haven't seen no more chicks. Despite both the male and the female are quite social (both accept food from my hand when I offer them something I know they like), for precaution I only check the nest when the female is out, but between yesterday and today each time I'm around she is always in the nest. I open the box, she doesn't mind that I'm there watching, but as she sits on top of both the chicks (I just saw them, they seem to be ok) and the remaining eggs, I can't be sure if there was another birth in the meantime or not.

Quote:
...if you have the time and enjoy handfeeding...

Oh I love handfeeding Laughing
Right now I'm still handfeeding 5 Roseicollis (I guess they will be weaned soon), and started today handfeeding 3 Plum-headed parakeet (three weeks old now) and 1 Indian Ring-necked parakeet (1 week old; this one was rejected by the parents and was being fed by a pair of Red rumpeds).
Next week I'm also starting to handfeed 2 Princess parrots.

So I really hope that this pair of Kakarkis will take good care of their chicks and will feed them properly until they are independent Pray

Mainly because Steptoe confirms what I thought, that Kakarikis are not really worthy being handfed as when adults, "even when hand raised usually keep an independant natural nature . Do what they want when they want.".

Which is not the case with the other species I'm handfeeding now or others I've also handfed so far, Cockatiels, Quakers, etc

Quote:
Good luck with the chicks!

Thanks a lot. And I really hope I won't be forced to handfeed them (only if the parents reject them!).

Quote:
Post pics whenever you have them!

Yes, I will. I also will post pics on my blog, not only of the Kakarikis, but also of all the others.

And that's it for the news so far.

Best wishes,

Dolf
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 1:13 am    Post subject:

Hi Dolf,

well... I think if you like handfeeding then you may want to try a kakariki.
I think Steps is right, but it's for the experience of the breeder that it's worth. You will enjoy handfeeding them, they are quite funny even before they have feathers (sao muito engracados, vas gostar).

I didn't know that you bred plumheads and princess, you've got to tell me how they are handfed, never seen one. I had seen pics of your quakers in avespt.com . They looked great.

Regarding nest inspections... if the female accepts it, should be no problem. I have a female that doesn't like me messing in the nest, and I think one of the chicks in last clutch died because she hit it accidentally (2 times she jumped when I reached for the chicks).

Keep posting about the chicks and when time comes... we want pics!

Kind regards,

Pablo

Dolf
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 3:21 am    Post subject:

Hi again,

Ok, so you asked, and here are the first few pictures.

Nina, the proud mother:

The two babies (so far no other chicks are born from the remaining 4 eggs Crying or Very sad ) :

And a close-up of the babies, cropped from another pic:

Enjoy Wink

Quote:
well... I think if you like handfeeding then you may want to try a kakariki.

Oh yes, I definetely love doing it, for sure one of the things I enjoy the most on this hobby, the problem is:

1- as I'm already handfeeding 9 chicks right now, and

2- Kakarikis are not really worthy as they seem not to become as tamed as other species (and after all even when not handfed they can be quite cool and social) when they grow up,

I guess I'd prefer to just socialize the chicks while in the nest.

Nine babies now + 2 others starting next week, is already quite a lot! Especially because as they are not all the same age, the daily feeding times don't exactly match Rolling Eyes

And there is the possibility I'll have soon another clutch of Quakers to handfeed too, so... I guess it's enough chicks for the moment Wink

Quote:
I didn't know that you bred plumheads and princess, you've got to tell me how they are handfed, never seen one.

In fact I don't breed none of these. I'm just handfeeding them for a friend who breeds both species (and for the "job" I'll keep either a plumhead or a princess for me, that's the deal Wink ).

Well, they are handfed just like any other bird, no difference Laughing

Regards,

Dolf
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Haven't received the email notification(s) for these replies

I just checked our mail server, for some reason your isp has decided we are on adynamic ip and rejects the emails...we are on static ip...yet u got the email that enabled you to confirm registration???

Admin

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject:

Steptoe,

As a matter fact today I received 2 email notifications, 1 for last post from Pabloc and now another one for your post.
It seems it's just not regular: sometimes I get them, sometimes I don't!

By the way, my email here is from a Yahoo account, not really related to my ISP.

Will see how it goes for future posts, but quite some time ago the same thing happened, but only concerning one particular topic, never understood why!

Regards,

Dolf
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject:

The isp is not yours then...
yahoo was going thru a heap of changes for a while..seems to have setled down now...
Logs show a couple recent emails couldnt connect to the yahoo server, maybe it was down at the time?
I only que emails for 4 attempts at 4 min intervals.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 4:15 am    Post subject:

Hi,

Funny, only today I got the email notification for the very first post from Pabloc, the one righ after my initial post Whistle

Anyway, no recent news regarding the clutch, still two chicks and 3 eggs remaining Think

Dolf
Dolf
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject:

Hi,

Just a couple of questions for the experts on kakarikis.

Usually, with other species where only the female stays in the nest taking care of the eggs and then feeding the chicks, when she comes out she normally is fed by the male.
Well, I haven't been seing this happening with my pair of kakarikis. When the female comes out of the nest, she is not fed by the male (this used to happen quite often but only during the phase before laying the eggs, or even before that) and she feeds herself. But I don't see her eating that much, or at least not as much as usually.
Is this normal with kakarikis? I mean, during this phase the male doesn't feed the female? Or should he be doing it?
Notice that during these moments when she comes out of the nest sometimes she is a bit aggressive for him and he can't approach to close to her or she acts as if she was going to attack him.

Despite this, when I have the opportunity I check the chicks and apparently they seem to be ok and having food on their crops.

By the way, a 3rd chick was born on May/7, and a 4th chick yesterday, May/8. And there's still one last egg in the nest.

Thanks,

Dolf
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject:

We had a cctv camera in a nest a while back
The male spent a lot of time feeding the female in the nest box
He never feed the chicks direct.
When fresh veggies etc where supllied 2x a day the female would come out, called by the male
They would both feed, sometimes the male feeding the female out of the nest...
The female would head back feed the chicks, and the male would follow a short time latter and continue to feed the female in the box.
Althu the male doesnt feed the chicks, if anything happens to the female, the male will then take over.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 12:43 am    Post subject:

Thanks Steptoe.

So, my male doesn't enter the nest box.
I do see him sometimes at the entrance hole, but he doesn't go inside.
Sometimes I do hear a sound, which I thought it was the male pecking the wood around the entrance hole, but I'm not sure as if I approach he stops doing whatever he was doing before, so I couln't see yet what's all that noise about.
Now that you mention the males feed the females in the nest box, I wonder if that's what my male is doing. But as I mention before I never saw him entering inside the nest box.

Yes, I already noticed that sometimes, when I put some new food on the cage, the male seems to call the female, as shortly after that she comes out to eat. But he doesn't call her all the time. I also noticed that if it is some kind of food he really enjoys a lot (such as eggfood), he simply doesn't call her and seems to prefer to eat it all alone (selfish little fellow! Twisted Evil ).

I asked all this to confirm, because for example with my pair of rosellas, during this same phase, each time the female comes out of the nest she is always fed by the male without exception.
In the case of the rosellas, until the chicks are about 2 weeks old, they are only fed by the female, then they start being fed by the male while still in the nest, then when at 34 days they come out of the nest, it's still the male who feeds them and no longer the female (only exceptionally).

Best,

Dolf
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 8:44 am    Post subject:

The male is defensive of the nesting area...maybe he is out when there is stuff..ppl around, sounds so u dont noyice
Parrots are not machines, habits /behavour does vary between pairs. Thu the basics remain the same.
We had 1 pair the male would feed akk day thru the opening of the nest box, calling the female up..rather than in the box...each has there own personalitys
It amazes me that books etc say, x eggs laid every y days, eggs hatch at z days, fledge at w days etc
like a production line...in practice these ar only giudelines, yet the books dont say that.

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject:

Hi,

I have been observing the pair that bred this season, and I'd say that they behave more or less the same as Steptoe says, the cock introducing he head into the nest to feed the hen, and the hen then feeds the chicks. When the hen comes out normally is fed by the male, I don't remember now if I saw her eat directly, but I would say that occasionally she would eat food herself.

My kakariki cocks do enter the nest when there are chicks, both the cock that is breeding this season, and the other cock that bred last season.

Plus... it's normally the cock who seeks a suitable nest. The exception is that I have had 2 females so far that prefer a lovebird sized nest which I have for the lineolated parakeets. I was surprised about this, as they have plenty of cockatiel sized nests available (22x22cm base x 35cm high).

I agree that despite of being some averages, it changes a lot between individuals. For instance I have a female that even though kakariki are very relaxed about nest inspections, she doesn't let me inspect the nest or anything, she gets quite upset. But... on the other side when I pulled the nest from its place and pulled the chicks to add a new layer of shavings, as soon as I left the nest on its place again she came back to take care of the chicks.

Then... cocks have a reputation of being quite willing to mate with hens, but I have a friend that has 2 pairs, and hens have spent a few months inviting their respective cocks to couple, but cocks haven't shown the least interest.

How are the chicks doing Dolf?

Kind regards,

Pablo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: