Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
Parrot Society of New Zealand
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
The National Wildlife Centre
New Zealand Conservation Management Group

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - first time breeding need some advice plse
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

first time breeding need some advice plse

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sgll

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:45 pm    Post subject: first time breeding need some advice plse

hi all.. we got hold of 2 kaks last night. i bought them with big cge and so on. both about a yr old male and fem.. my questions are:

it seems as there is some mating going on. now i was given a nest box with cage. so do i go ahead and stick it in cage with birds?

another thing. if they lay what do i do with eggs and chicks? do i keep them in all in one cage together with chicks? do i have to seperate chicks? what is the best approach for this? they havnt laid yet nor have i put nest box in but there is mating going on signlol.. so im wandering if its worth us noobs sticking a nest box in and see if she lays. but then we dont know wot to do after? can someone plse shed some light on this. i have looked on this forum since yesterday but cannot find answer to my q..

im from uk to and any advice is much appreciated

thnks

dan
May
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:28 am    Post subject:

w3c and hi... im def not best qualified to give advice.... but ... ive had my pair for just over a month ... in the last 3 weeks the male has started doing funny little dances round the female and feeding her and they have also been mating in the last 2 weeks quite a lot... when they were out flying about the house they have been checking out dark place as prospective nesting sites ..including the top of a set of shelves behind a curtain...the top of the boiler... Shame on you a box of fireworks Shame on you Shame on you and inside a guitar Shame on you Shame on you Shame on you. Think i put a cardboard box in bottom of the cage to try to diswade them from playing in dangerous places... but they shreded it up to try to make nesting material.... d'oh! so i made them a little wooden box to play in and put shavings in it. the female spends time in there scratching about when they are in the cage but it hasnt stopped them leaving the cage and although they are still mating she hasnt layed any eggs yet. i dont really want them to breed as she is probably a hybrid so if she does lay ill take the eggs out.... not sure about what effects that will have.... so... just cuz theyre mating i dont think that necesserily means she will lay duno

can you post some pics..?? would be nice to see them also some of the 'peeps who know stuff' could let you know if they look good to breed from.

i know that didnt really answere any of your questions signlol but thought it might help Laughing you sounded in a slight panic Anxious

cheers

http://littlebirdhouse4mysoul.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/#!/OscarGarland
sgll

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:24 am    Post subject:

signlol ill sure get some piccys up tmorow.. im going out for meal soon so not got the time. but yeh ill post tomorow.. its not a panic as such.. i just want to make sure im well prepared just incase signlol.. never had a male and fem before bird wise.. and these r definatly mating as they were at it agian today. and hes feeding her now n then to.. we do have a nest box.. ive not put it in yet. as one we have to get some nesting material before hand. and 2 id like to know as much info as possible before i go ahead..

i dont wanna put box in. she then lays few eggs. and then we have to move them. cant do at mo as only have the one big cage..

but piccys coming soon signlol..
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject:

Quote:
if they lay what do i do with eggs and chicks? do i keep them in all in one cage together with chicks? do i have to seperate chicks? what is the best approach for this?

Welcome yo our community
It is great to see this question, most ask how do I breed , without any thought to the consequinces of the growing population Shocked

Basically the issue is u have 2 teen age children thrown together without chapperone /any controls and getting up to misceif....
The result is off spring.
Once the female starts to breed and male and female are kept together it can be difficult yo stop...we had a pair that knocked out a batch of chicks every 8 to 10 weeks.

If you dont want chicks, then I would strongly suggest 'sending them to single sex boarding school'

Reproduction of the species is a basic instinct, and all other instincts serve to support this....like eating and drinking.
When one creates circumstances for a basic instinct to occur, then tries to stem it, more often than not hit the fan
There are many threads on how to breed, nesting boxs, read thru these and get an understanding of your birds behavoirs and why.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject:

every 8 - 10 weeks? wow so these guys can go some then signlol.. so is this for the rest of their lives.. breeding like this? i dont mind having the chicks if we know wot to do with them.. we cant keep them all signlol as we do not have aviary nor plan on getting one.. we just have a big parrot cage. its big signlol..

basically do i need to go out and buy more cages? i dont mind putting nest box in now. but if i need to get a new cage to then i better wait few cple weeks.

im just looking for someone with penty of experience who can help me..and giv some advice, oh and how long after born can the chicks be rehomed?
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
every 8 - 10 weeks? wow so these guys can go some then

yes..but if diet and conditions are not up to 100% expect the female to have serious heath problems or death...

Quote:
im just looking for someone with penty of experience who can help me..and giv some advice

most of the answers to your other questions, are in old posts there is a "quick search " block to the left and detailed search button above
If u cant find what u are looking for then ask again.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: