Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
New Zealand Conservation Management Group
MOTUIHE PROJECT
Parrot Society of New Zealand
The National Wildlife Centre

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - injured leg
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

injured leg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Market Place
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pavs

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: injured leg

Hi all!

When I got up this morning I noticed my Gerard hurt his leg. I haven't the slightest idea how it happened! He must have been up to some mischief early in the morning or the evening before. He is out 24/7.

He still tried to go about his everyday bussiness, limping about the place. I trapped him in his cage when he came down for his breakfast, hoping that some cage rest would do him good. He still uses the foot a little bit, so I guess it may just badly bruised, rather than broken. He is twice as depressed now, however, because he can't fly around.

Shall I leave him in the cage for a good long rest, even when he hates it so? Will his leg mend? The other thing that worries me that it's really cold in my flat (although I made sure it isn't draughty) and that he won't get enough exercise to keep himself warm.

Your advice would be much appreciated,

Pavla
Wiccawolf
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Injured leg

Hello. Sorry your boy is hurt. Leg injuries happen. One of my hens broke her leg whilst outside in my flight cage Shocked . To this day I don't know how. I saw a vet the next day and he put a splint on it ( which she absolutely hated ) however the leg healed a little out of position and as a result she now has difficulty when climbing and moving around on the smaller perches. The vet explained it is difficult to get something so small in exactly the correct position at times. To this day she has difficulty walking and she never walks aroung upside down on the top of the cage like all my other Kaks do Crying or Very sad
If your Kak is having difficulty using the leg, I would suggest a trip to your local avian vet is in order. It may be just a sprain, but....... why not check just to be sure. I would keep him warmer than you might usually. A bird who is injured needs to expend it's energy on healing, rather than keeping warm. I have a small 60 watt ceramic radiant heater ( also called a basking light...usually used with lizards ) on a clamp that I use for such occasions. With such a heater, he can come get warm when he feels the need to. Keeping him in his cage is a must as far as I am concerned. There are too many ways for him to reinjure or further injure himself in the outside world. I don't like staying in bed when I am sick, but sometimes it is necessary in order to heal. You might want to spend a little more time with him because of his isolation/incarceration....... If you have any willow trees around still alive, give him a few brances ( with leaves ) of that and let him chew on it. Willow contains a natural analgesic in it that the birds here in Canada will use when they are not well. I make a willow tincture ( tea ) when I am in pain sometimes.
Basically it is much like a human. Keep him warm, quiet and well fed, see the doc, and he should come through it ok. <v>
Hope this helps. I'm sure Step will come up with some advice also.
Good luck and keep us updated as to his condition
cheers
Wolf
pavs

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:06 am    Post subject:

Hello!

Thank you for getting back to me so promptly. The basking light is a great idea! I'll do as you advise.

Thank you,

Pavla
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject:

It is not uncommon for our smaller birds to bruise, stain, twist a leg...
we have never had a broke leg...normally left alone over a couple days all is fine

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject:

A possible reason for mystery leg injuries in outdoor aviaries, as in Wiccawolf's case for example, could be night predators especially owls, they can cause night-fright mainly in young birds that sometimes don't roost in very secure places; the kakariki will fly into the wire and hang on, the predator will grab it's feet and hang on, there is usually no other damage other than a leg injury as the predators beak can't bite their body through the wire.

I have lost about 12 birds to our little NZ owl the Morepork, the Kakariki's leg is usually broken up high and they have to be euthenized; sometimes there is a ruffled slightly plucked look to the breast, and feathers on the wire netting.

I remember that the great work Luis Catteral is doing with relocating Red Crowned on Islands out of Auckland lost a few birds that were being temporarily housed in holding aviaries, always wondered if it may have been poorly roosted birds being traumatised at night by Morepork?.

I have had to build a predator shield of 50mm netting 200mm away from the aviary netting, this stops the Kakariki legs getting grabbed; though night fright can still result in blood noses etc, least they can still use their legs, apart from any that might break their neck or receive serious head trauma.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Market Place All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: