Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
The National Wildlife Centre

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - New to Kakariki care.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

New to Kakariki care.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care
View previous topic :: View next topic  
superkakigirl

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: New to Kakariki care.

Hi everyone! I bought/rescued (technically bought, but how her previous living conditions were, I rescued her.)

I have a couple questions about her, I want to know if this is normal kakariki behaviour or quirks of mine from her old life.

She really likes eating her own poo, is this normal?

How long should I have her out of her cage for every day? (I am generally aiming between 1-2 hours.)

I haven't been able to buy decoy eggs yet, and I don't know anything about that is there anything special I need to know?

She had a metal disc that said "bird protector" on it, it looked old and dirty so I threw it out, is that ok?

She hardly ever bites (She's bitten twice, and once doesn't count because she was slipping and needed to stop falling.) She does however open her mouth like a warning bite, and just sits there. Do Kakariki's usually not bite? (I'm used to a parrotlet who would bite you as soon look at you.)

Also this is more of a comment than anything else, but I think it's important information to know regarding my next question. She has a bald spot on the back of her head (like she was attacked and feathers never grew over the scarred area) and her one eye droops maybe 1/4 over her one eye (like there is nerve damage) And I think she is blind in that eye- she once bit the air an inch away from an almond I was offering her 10 times.
My question regarding that is: I would like to breed her someday (in a year or two at least if I do- she is one year old now). Would it be acceptable to do this or do you think there could be problems from her injury?
(I've read that Kakariki's produce a lot of clutches if left to their own devices and I would want to hand raise one clutch, and let her and the hypothetical male raise the other.)

Also she is SUCH a sweetie.
And thank-you all for your time and consideration of my questions.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:16 am    Post subject:

She really likes eating her own poo, is this normal?
Yes birds do so, in very small amounts and when dried out for many months...any more than that is usually a sign of poor diet...
Use the word search block to the left on diet and poo

Quote:
How long should I have her out of her cage for every day? (I am generally aiming between 1-2 hours.)

As much as possible, afternnon dust is a good tome so they go back to roost in the cage...
We have a king parrot as a house parrot, his cage door hasnt been closed since...hmmm thinking when we moved back home here in about march 07.. Oh and for an afternnon a couple months as we had a wedding here.

Quote:
She had a metal disc that said "bird protector" on it, it looked old and dirty so I threw it out, is that ok?
I have know idea what that is , but if i has been thrown out, its not going to harm it is it?

Quote:
Do Kakariki's usually not bite? (I'm used to a parrotlet who would bite you as soon look at you
They will bite...given good reason, but you mention
Quote:
how her previous living conditions were, I rescued her
. So he could be a bit intinidated...just get his trust and he will be a good friend.

Quote:
Would it be acceptable to do this or do you think there could be problems from her injury?

Sound like injury from the nesting box or another agressive bird (s) so I put it this way..If you had those 'disabilties' would your children also be disabled?
Wink
Quote:
I would want to hand raise one clutch, and let her and the hypothetical male raise the other

Do some more reading in forums on hand raising..not many people do here, and how they breed and stopping them...as you say thats a while off, so read lots slow signlol

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the advice- seems like I have a lot to learn about my feathered friend.

I think she was really lonely before she met me, she bonded to me immediately and whenever I have her out of her cage and I come into the room with her she immediately jumps on my head.

I got her a cuttle bone today in case she hadn't liked her mineral block and the cuttle bone has been ravaged.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject:

Dont encourge your birds to settle or land on you head....shoulder
Not only is it a pain in the butt sometimes ..but if they land on someone (children to) who are not used to birds they can get swiped.

On bird landing on the shoulder is far more less scarry

And when they are on your shoulder do not move in anyway the is not normal for you..same when they climb down your arm...just prendend theyare not their
they get used to you moving around, making dinner, reaching in cupboards etc.

Quote:
and the cuttle bone has been ravaged.

That indicates a lack of minerals /nutrition
Get him into the chopped up into chopped up stems of cali and broccolli, a bit of alfafa sprouts, mung been sprouts and chopped up raw bettroot and silver beet stems... a few choppe up potato peeling would not hurt either..

I suppose it is a method of recycling signlol...and put the droppings in you pot plants ....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: