Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

New Zealand Conservation Management Group
MOTUIHE PROJECT
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - whats wrong with him???? :(
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

whats wrong with him???? :(

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Public Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yuki

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: whats wrong with him???? :(

ok two years ago i got 2 kakarikis signlol loved them to bits, my first wild birds, i usually just have tiels hand rared etc.
anyway they were loud, cute and active, i use to let them out all the time etc they never really left my room, and they were very sexually attached, unlike my redrumps and cockatiels who preen and kiss each other etc.

long story short-ish the girl got out, the boy screached, not shout but screached for days on end. like when you get one in the cage and your catching the other, ya know that panicked screach.

he was heartbroken

then he went quiet and depressed, looking back on the photos of him it was ridiculously scary, he plucked feathers, he was more grey than green to be honest (both were pure green red crowns etc)

i then found out there was a yellow kakariki (no laughing, i didnt know they came in anything but green) so i ordered one, but they got me a boy instead of a girl, i thought oh well they wont be mates but maybe friends, but god know, he hated him from second one, they fought like mad, i separated them etc, unfortunatly the yellow boy died of i think a heart attack because of a cat, he just died Sad

so my kakariki didnt warm up to him at all, and no noise still, he now has a strange connection with his mirror, and yes i know the mirror rule for birds, but i didnt give it to him, my brother did when i went camping, and im afraid the kakarii will go depressed again, (not that he isnt still) sooooooooooo not only do i want him to interact with other birds (he seemed intersted in my red rumps when i got them recently, no other birds, and i have a few species)

im interested in buying a female, im not going to put them in the same cage right away, i did my research there, but do you think he will start talking? kakarikis are meant to be social active, my kakariki hasnt made a peep (even in trouble) in almost two years next month.

i love him so much but he hates me, and he just sits there, he comes down sneaky for food and his quick suspicous bath, but he doesnt run around when i leave his cage open

though its only recently ive started opening his cage for run about time, because i changed his cage and its not as big and before when he was in the big cage he had enough flying room so he stayed in because i was worried hed leave like the girl. his feathers are beautiful again, hes just quite and bored looking, if he plays with anything its not the chewable stuff loud stuff, just the mirror and maybe he'll touch the bell for ages (not making noise) just touching it for no reason????

do you think the girls a good idea? hes technically healthy, bar the depression. i give him the occasional treat mllet fruit etc, hes well fed, surrounded by toys not many but enough people and birds, hes not like the downstairs birds, he is in my quite room etc.

whats wrong with him? the girl leaving messed him up, but ive never heard of a kakariki going silent for 2 years Sad
is there anything i can do????
will another girl help????
will he ever speak beautifully again???? Crying or Very sad

any questions or suggestions, or anyone having a similar problem is apprcieted. thankyou!!!!!!!!!!
and congrats 4 making it this far down my stupidly long message, im just really worrie,d and want it fixed. obviously giving him time isnt healing everything. Sad
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:57 pm    Post subject:

hi yuki

w3c to the forum

as I have said in different posts in this forum, I believe kakariki males may pair up with other males, same as females pairing up with other females, or at least it has happened to me when I decided to separate males in one aviary and females in the other aviary.

I don't have a clue as to what can be his problem, and wether he might or might not accept a new partner. You can only know by trying.

Steptoe here in the forum has also told about a male that won't share the same cage/aviary with any other adult kike, but on the other side he nurtured a few weaning youngsters.
If you could find a breeder willing to sell you a chick 6-8 weeks old maybe it could be a solution.

Cheers / Pablo

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
yuki

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject:

thankyou!
and i got him the girl, 16 weeks i thunk, shes beautiful, im not putting them in the same cage yet but it seems they are very interested in eqch other.

if anything she got him off his perch for nonfood signlol

outof any bird cage in the room, they all seemed interested in her, yet she is sleeping on the kakariki cage, i think and hope this will go well, the breeder igot him off said to spray and or add alovera to his drinking/bathing water every 2 days??? should i??? apparently it cures practically anything a kakariki can have, yay.

thats a good tip to everyone else reading this 4 ur sick kak. if your bird is sick, use alovera, you know the kind you buy in any chemist. ill try it maybe next week when i get the time to get the alovera :) ill keep you all posted on how it works out with both the girl and alovera.

thanks again!!!!
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject:

Hi!

I'm no scientist or expert, but I have a strong disbelief in any 'miracle' product, especially if bought in a shop/chemistry/etc...

The miracle products are a varied, consistent diet and certain extras like natural plants, be it aloe vera, garlic, oregano or any other aromatic herbs and other medicinal plants.

A German brand (Quiko) also commercializes oregano extract/powder as miracle antibiotic.

I also give my birds aloe vera, as I have the plant at home and sometimes I cut 1/2 leave, slice it and give it to the birds.
You can eat it also yourself, peel the skin as it's hardcore bitter, the flesh is bitter but it's edible. It seems to have good properties for the digestive system etc...

But if I listened to every 'miracle healthy tip' I would end up crazy. Eat 1 kiwi, 1 fig, a little bit of aloevera, a few pieces of garlic, a cup of tea, half a cucumber, a piece of celery, etc...

I'm glad the male has accepted the new female.
Don't be concerned if by the time they finally meet they have a quarrel or they are a bit cocky, sometimes even established pairs at least in my case have a short dispute or quarrel.

Cheers / Pablo

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I'm no scientist or expert, but I have a strong disbelief in any 'miracle' product, especially if bought in a shop/chemistry/etc...

The miracle products are a varied, consistent diet and certain extras like natural plants, be it aloe vera, garlic, oregano or any other aromatic herbs and other medicinal plants.

That sums up things rather well
And Oh thr miricule aloe vera....little story, its not the aloe wera that is the great healer of burns etc..it is good....Its another species of Aloe ..the big bush that grows up our drivaway type...
Aloe vera was picked up by the marketing boys...u know the propaganda experts...because the stuff that works real well, the name is not marketable.

And the 'mircle' ingrediant' well its the same basic one that has been used for 1000s of yrs, both in the animal kingdom and humans....its call acetic acid..not a very marketable term really, and nore is vinegar....I mean who would be prepared to pay a small fortune for say a shampoo with vinegar? as against an exortic name like aloe vera
OH and when you buy these miricule cures, have a look to see how much is really in there...would it be the same as break a stem of aloe off, peel the skin, rub into a burn?
Or do they dilute it way down, throw a bit of Alocohol water, some emulsefires, bit of colour/perfume...a fancy bottle...the wait for some sucker to come along to rip off....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Public Discussion All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: