Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
MOTUIHE PROJECT
Parrot Society of New Zealand

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - help.... advice needed change of behavour
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

help.... advice needed change of behavour

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joey12

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:48 am    Post subject: help.... advice needed change of behavour

Hi, i have a male kak which is about 7mths old and my female is just coming up to 5mths old. they get on great together. Since yesterday my female has been sitting at the bottom of the cage she is eating and drinking fine, when is is not at the bottom of the cage she is sitting herself in the food bowl all fluffed up.... does this mean she is preparing to lay eggs? when cage is open she will come out for a quick fly then go back into the cage....
May
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:56 am    Post subject:

hello .... it sounds possible.... have they been mating? or displaying courtship behavior?

http://littlebirdhouse4mysoul.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/#!/OscarGarland
joey12

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:50 am    Post subject:

They have seem closer latey but I've been out a lot more at the moment so is hard to tell. Do u think I should get at nest box for her.
May
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:03 am    Post subject:

Id say she was a bit young.... but i dont know what else she could be up too? Think

http://littlebirdhouse4mysoul.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/#!/OscarGarland
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:43 am    Post subject:

kakariki will breed or intend to breed around the 3 to 4 mnths
To breed that young they must have a good diet and the parent when raising them must also have a very good diet.
Not doing so can cause alsorts of health issues including egg binding which is often fatal.
We start pairing our bird up around the 3 months

And birds male /female mixed should have a nesting box, preferbly 2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:15 am    Post subject:

hi,

im beginning to think that maybe there could be something wrong with her, as she continues to stay at bottom of cage or on food bowl all puffed up, she seems to have alittle eractic breathing. today she was happy to come out of cage and sit on my hage for over a hour but when startled she flew off and crashed into the wall. she is still eating and drinking well. I have separated her from my male for now so she is in a cage by herself.

Any further suggestions wwill be w3c please......

I will go and get a nesting box sorting tomorrow for them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: