Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Parrot Society of New Zealand
New Zealand Conservation Management Group
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - New Kakariki, Appartment noise advice
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

New Kakariki, Appartment noise advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patrickfrombelgium

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:38 am    Post subject: New Kakariki, Appartment noise advice

Dear Kakariki experts!
We have a male yellow fronted Kakariki who is now a few months old, Mickey. We've had him for two months now and he's a very beautiful bird, healthy, eats well, very active etc. He developed some aggression towards our hands after a few weeks, we're working on it and he's slowly starting to bite less. The only problem with him is, he's too loud. Now I know that kakarikis have a low voice compared to many other birds and personally I like it that he's vocal and that I can hear him in every room of the house... but we live in an appartment. I know that once the neighbours start complaining, we'll have to lose him and I don't want that.

The only noise that's really loud is the goat-like "laughter" and he doesn't do that all the time. He only does it when we leave the room. As long as someone's with him he makes his sweet little content chattering noises but when we leave the room, or even worse leave the appartment he starts "screaming". It sounds like he's calling for us to stay with him... He also does it when he hears us coming home, it's so loud that I can hear him in the elevator two stories down...

This is where I need your advice: we were thinking of getting him a female because maybe he's just lonely and that's why he's screaming? Can you advise me whether this would be a good idea? I'd like him to have a companion but maybe it won't help and I'll just get double the noise I have now...
We wouldn't want to breed obviously, so I'd discard of the eggs (I'd still have to read into that in case we'd decide to get a female)...
Thanks for reading my (long) post, any advice is very much appreciated!
Kind regards from Belgium
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:47 am    Post subject:

Move appartment...
Kakariki make less noise than a budgie, far less than a cockteil, and far less than most other small house type birds....except maybe a turquiosine or bourke.

We have an avariry out side our bedroom window....about 7 to 10 m away
It is inbetween our house and the neighbours 3 bedrooms about 10m away.
We have at any one time 8 and 40 odd kakariki in there....get a neigbourhodd cat wander thru and all hell breaks out with warning calls.

No complants from neighbours...
Keep in mind this is NZ, no double glazzing on windows, wood houses no insuation in wall canities.

This subject has been brought up several times in the past when it comes to noise and neighbours.....bottom line the issue is not the kakariki but neighbours who if not going to bitch about and pin prick about a quiet bird, will be bitching about something else like a squeeky bed.

I assume u have thrushes or black birds over there...I bet if u kept one as a pet the neighbours would complain, yet may very well feed them on the window sill...and each morning they would be waiting noisely to be feedthat is how stupid these people are.

yu are not the problem the apartment is not the problem, the kakariki is not the problem,,,they are.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject:

I couldn't agree more with that, although moving is not an option (we live in a very urban neighborhood and pets are not allowed in ANY appartment here...)

But apart from possible complaints, the fact that Mickeys screaming only happens when we leave him on his own worries me. Do you think he might be lonely? We' would buy a mate/buddy for him if that were the case... Or does the high-pitched "laughing" have no explicit meaning?
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject:

Is this a very young yellow crown? just going by the pic in your avatar?

Kakariki are a very active bird...understantment really , so they nedd space and to be keeping occupied all the time...
They do chatter away , but scream like chatter..thats only usually a warning distress call.
@ in a large cage do go better together, and I would suggest both of the same sex...males prefersably
Thu can run into trouble introducing new birds in to a cage...this usually meand completely changing everything in the cage, and even relocating for a while
That way they both establish pecking order and terrority at the same time instead of "I want a bit of your bedroom" "no Its all mine not going to share" sort of thing.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject:

Yes Mickey is quite young. That picture was taken two months ago when we just had him (he was a lot tamer and less aggressive back then), now he's still under 6 months old.
Just like you said: the really loud sounds he makes when we leave him sound distressed. He makes a LOT of different noises and most of them sound very sweet and happy but the high-pitched laughing seems... wrong. That's why I was thinking he might be lonely.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:57 am    Post subject:

OK he is a teenager.. till gets 12 to 15 months old and they settle down.

You will see the pale yellow crown become far brighter defined over the next couple moults.

Code:
He developed some aggression towards our hands after a few weeks, we're working on it and he's slowly starting to bite less.

Again tennager
hes not biting, rather play nip/are u edable..like a puppy...
....u need to be like the alpha male in a flock....a push or light tap on the beak, roll your hand finger so he cant get a grip.....and like a more dominate bird in the flock , lower your voice and tell him off and MEAN it.
Threaten to pull everyone of his feathers out slowly one by one and slow cook him...not just a simple "no" and a bit of pressure on /push on his back.

Quote:
(he was a lot tamer and less aggressive back then

If not handled right from the start one is actually training the bird to bite as a game/and or they start to become alpha male around the place.

Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:00 am    Post subject:

The call you describe is a warning call.... mine do it if there is a cat about ....also in the morning when i see them first thing n they want some attention. also.... when i had them in the house if i let them out and one of a pair went in another room and they didnt know where they were ....so he could be calling for you if he is thinking of you as his familly. Getting him a companion may help but if you dont want to breed them id go for another male...if there isnt a female about they should get on ok after they have established a pecking order..... have you tried leaving the radio on for him..... my birds love music and have the radio on most days especially if im not going to be around.

http://littlebirdhouse4mysoul.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/#!/OscarGarland
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: