Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
Parrot Society of New Zealand
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
MOTUIHE PROJECT

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Eating Habits
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Eating Habits

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pablokak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:36 am    Post subject: Eating Habits

Hi, me and my girlfriend recently got our first kak, Pablo. He is 5 months old and amazing but i just have a few questions about his eating habits. (i actually have about a million questions but will save them for another time)
I find his eating habits are strange, as he doesnt seem to eat much considering how happy he is. He eats seed but not very often, but every day we put a different selection of fruit or veg in for him, hoping to find out what he likes. So far he has only ever actually tried Apple! He leaves it for about 8 hours to go a bit brown, then has a good go at it. We have tried all sorts, Kiwi, Strawberries, Pear, Plums, Peppers and so on, but he doesnt give them the time of day. When we are eating the only thing he wants from us is toast! In saying that, he doesnt really come that close to us because i think he is still a bit wary of us. We have had him 1 month now and bought him a new cage and new accessories, and let him out of his cage every day for at least 2 hours at a time, usually more. He has the freedom of the house and seems really happy, constantly chirping away whilst we watch tv or read. I just wondered if anyone has any advice on ways to increase the amount he eats and really the quality he eats as im sure he would benefit from some nice fruit and veg as well as his seed. I have figured out that perhaps we are giving him to big a chunk of the veg so have been sizing them down but still doesnt seem too bothered. Thanks
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:06 am    Post subject:

Hi..u raide a concetn that goes way beyopnd your bird
No doubt u have seen reality TV programs of children when servered up a healthy meal of fresh cooked veggies ...the norm a couple generationas ago and had been for 10s of thousands of yrs ....and thet dont like it
Not enough sugar, oils, salt....strange consistancy, and looks weird.

This is what happens with most captive animals pets....they are raised on a junk diet and it is very diffucult to move them on to one that gives long term good health.
This subject is quite common in these forums....
There is a thread "what do you feed...?"
Ands the "quick search " block on the left.
It can be remidied, it takes months .

Note that birds tend to eat the fruit on trees just before it is considered ripe enough forus to eat.....kakariki generally eat most of a very firm kiwifruit, but only the seeds of one that we consider ready for eating.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:46 am    Post subject:

Hi Pablokak, w3c

Steps is right, most of my kaks were seedjunkies too when I took them home.
But you should see them now :)

Kak's are way too curious to play hard to get for long.
Maybe your new friend has to settle in a bit longer before he feels safe enough to research new "stuff"
I take it you allready got rid of the bottom grill of the cage? You see, kaks love to roam around scratching and foraging on the floor like chickens.
Cut a small " saladmix" of veggies peasize and just spread a handfull on the floor of the cage. Some cauliflower, carrot, corn... the more colours the better.
Maybe even hide it a bit .. makes it more interesting " forbidden fruits"
They learn fast..

Or make toys out of it.. half a corncob hung from the top of the cage makes an edible swing. Half an apple/ orange/ pomme granate works too.
Mine are crazy about herbs. Mint, rosemary, thyme.. you name it, they eat it. You can make a veggie necklace ... cool edible toy.
By offering a small mix daily you prevent them from getting the same over and over again and you can add and leave out to your own liking. Mine are so used to a mix I can always introduce new stuff without them having to get used to it. It just goes with the flow.

Nuts in a slightly crushed bark are nice toys too, and healthy ( watch out for fungi) same goes for colourfull bottle caps.. to play with that is, not to eat.

Don't let the food stay in the cage too long.. or soon the fruit flies will beat Pabloc too it.

Mine eat their mix out of a bowl nowadays.. ( read, they dig in deep, tossing out everything they wanna save for a rainy day. But then I live in the rainy netherlands so who can blame them) But I still try to surprise them with edible toys to keep them busy while I am gone.

oh, and nothing.. I repeat NOTHING tastes as good as what you are having.
That includes your remote control.

Laughing

Dutch greetings!
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Mine are crazy about herbs. Mint, rosemary, thyme.. you name it, they eat it.

If u watch real close espec mint and tyme, they dont eat it, the chew it up, then a sort time later they are pruning themselves....I think it is the oils and their natural insecticide against mites ans stuff
One thing is sure, espec mint, a couple small leaves a day for a couple days and the difference in how good the bird looks is quite astonding.

This ort of stuff is estentual 'maintance' of capitive pets when they cant get to these supplies.
mint in my experiance, once they get to know it..is great to tame...even crush some and they ar looking around "where is it gimme gimme " Shocked

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:46 am    Post subject:

thanks for the replies guys, makes me feel a little better about him. I have taken the grill out of his cage and used a mixture of turf, bark and hay and been scattering some seeds and some fruit and veg in it and he has really taken to it, its just a shame he poops so much!!! having to clean it out about 4 times a day. As i am writing this he has come out of his shell even more and is sat next to me watching me but chattering at me!
I guess with regards the food its just trial and error with things he may or may not like, and to just keep varying what he gets.
Thanks again for the replies
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:13 am    Post subject:

First of all... excellent choice of name for your kakariki. That shows intelligence, good judgement, and an excellent taste from the owners. That's a good starting point. Applause

About the food, it usually takes a while, each bird is different, some of them go for new stuff very quickly, other birds take a bit more time.

It has happened to me with mealworms, one of my kaks takes them from my fingers, but most others aren't that fuzzy about them but they will take a piece of apple or certain veggies.

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:42 am    Post subject:

Quote:
been scattering some seeds and some fruit and veg in it and he has really taken to it, its just a shame he poops so much!!! having to clean it out about 4 times a day.

Dont get to cared away keeping the cage clean....remember these birds have spent the last 100K yrs in the wild.....and when in nesting boxes for weeks on end..If the bird is healthy the poos is healthy...and they often chew on a little old dry stuff every now and then...espec when have chicks.

Fresh water is a must thu..

OH and wirth a bigger cage u will find he will only poo in 1 cnr ans only have 1 pile to more or less clean up. Wink

Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:58 pm    Post subject:

pabloc wrote:
First of all... excellent choice of name for your kakariki. That shows intelligence, good judgement, and an excellent taste from the owners. That's a good starting point. Applause

:fun: Applause

http://littlebirdhouse4mysoul.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/#!/OscarGarland
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: