Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
New Zealand Conservation Management Group
Parrot Society of New Zealand
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Bird stores caged Kakariki mental affects?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Bird stores caged Kakariki mental affects?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Pets Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hcrossn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Bird stores caged Kakariki mental affects?

Hi everyone, I live in San Diego California.

There is a very nice well kept bird store here and they have a beautiful red fronted Kakariki that is being kept in a 3'x2'x3' cage. The bird has been there for over 2 years. Since it was a baby. There is no toys in the cage just a water & food dishes. The bottom of the cage is wire mesh with a catch tray under it. I asked a clerk why there was nothing for the bird to do & was told they tried placing a toy in the cage & he wasn't interested. The poor little thing just runs around the cage, up & over the top, back & forth on the bottom a lot. I asked if they ever engaged with him/her, they said they did at first but he wasn't interested. I informed them of the needs of this species but nothing was changed of course. All of the smaller birds are is kept completely the same but the other cages have more then one.
I asked them to take the bird out so I could see him. They caught him in the cage & cradled to hand him to me. He fluttered away (of course!) trying to escape, his wings are clipped so he can't go far. I put my hand down for him to perch. After a few tries he jumped up on my hand then made his way to my head. I have gone back every day for 5 days now. I found a quiet corner of the store to try to calm him & build up trust. I've brought boiled egg, a strawberry, a date, a nectarine & sunflower seeds. He isn't interested at all. I tried hand feeding it to him, leaving it on the floor and placing on a shelf he could reach. He would rather cower in a corner. I have managed to get him to let me walk around with him on my head & taste some strawberry from my lips but he didn't eat it. He can't wait to get back in his cage.
His price tag is $299.99, I would like to rescue the little guy & work with him to gain trust if I could afford him. My question is, sense he seems to want to be just left alone in the cage do you think he may come around? Or do you think after years of just running around a small cage that's all he wants to do from now on? Any input or your feelings on the matter will be greatly appreciated! I'm sad for him... duno javascript:emoticon('duno')
Gold1st

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Kakariki

My first bird was in a cage rather like the one you describe.

I too felt sorry for him, he was the very first Karariki I had ever

seen, and I just thought what a beautiful looking bird.

I bought him and will write all about him in another post.
hcrossn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Bird stores caged Kakariki mental affects?

That would be great, thank you!
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
My question is, sense he seems to want to be just left alone in the cage do you think he may come around?

If a bird has been abused... ie kids bashing cages stuff like that , most birds , like people will never 'come around'
Most parrots , except a small hanful of species, even out of the wild at a very mature age tame down to be great pets, and inter act with them.
And kakariki , from my experiance , are one of the easest ... just keep in mind, they are not like other parrots, they are naturally very active, independant... and therefore not prone to feather plucking and other pshological disorders.
If the bird u describe had been ANY OTHER birds species it would have been bald yrs ago...
Use the "quick search" block to the left look up words like taming diet get an idea what is involved
You have a head start... it will already be used to people around.

Steps

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject:

Thank you so much! I will look up your suggestion right away! I went to see the little guy today as I have been. I felt like there was a huge break through. He stayed on my head most of the time. I let him down to run around as much as he wanted & he came over so I attempted to have him Step up. He did and let me give him a little kiss. I also had some fresh mint leaves from our organic garden. He ate 1/2 of one right out of my hand. I was elated when I left the store! Not only for him getting some exercise & freedom but that I felt like he is starting to really trust me.
I know he's not going to be a cuddle bug or anything, I just want him to be happier & as soon as I save up 100 more I can really give him a better life! I think pet stores should leave the selling of live animals to the breeders.

reducedk.jpg
 Description:
This is him standing on my boyfriends hand.
 Filesize:  103.85 KB
 Viewed:  77 Time(s)

reducedk.jpg

Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I also had some fresh mint leaves from our organic garden.

Dont know what it is about mint.. we have pots of it , when we break a bit off, even the birds in the flights cant see, must smell it or something, hang off the wire in anticipation....
I think they also use the oils for prunning .

With taming , discourage birds on your head.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Pets Corner All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: