Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Parrot Society of New Zealand
The National Wildlife Centre
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
MOTUIHE PROJECT

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - conures????
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

conures????
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> General Non Kakariki Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ksue
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: conures????

We are thinking of getting a green cheek and Im just wondering if any one has any info/experience with these guys as pets????? and then any aussies with knowledge of rep breeders #####kellie
INDI
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:58 am    Post subject:

Howdy, I'm INDI and i'm an Aussie newbie. I don't have a green cheek conure but I do have a sun conure which I handreared from 2 weeks of age...the conures are awesome birds. I really don't know how you compare a green cheek as against a sun as far as character and other traits, from people I do know with conures they all seem pretty placid, homely, loving birds.

Just tonight talking to the person who has found me my cinnamon hen kakariki she is currently handrearing a young sun conure if ya interested Rolling Eyes the baby sun was shipped from Adelaide down to here to Tassie (SUPPOSEDLY older than what it truly is Shame on you ) . My friend has many contacts and would more than likely be able to source whatever you are looking for direct from a breeder. I enquired about an African Grey except, well, err, umm the $$$ duno

As a matter of personal curiosity what has made you choose the green cheek :?: i love all the conures but I guess i'm partial to suns just 'cos I have one that is totally awesome. I really would like to hear tho' why you have chosen that particular conure - why that preference, it's all a learning thing. Wink

SunConure.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  55.47 KB
 Viewed:  251 Time(s)

SunConure.jpg

(The only thing that stays the same is change !!)
ksue
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject:

well i originally was thinking of a sun and have been asking Ques on an aussie forum and every one said the suns were great but loud and as I live in a very residential area maybe that isnt a great idea I have heard the GC are just as much fun but quiter I think they are smaller too (not that that is really an issue) The only sun I have ever seen in real life is very very cranky one at a pet store......I still am not 100% thats why I am asking for others experience.....How do the suns go with other birds (at out time ect) and how are they really noise wize + how much of your stuff has he wrecked LOL come on be honest.....I am prob not looking at getting one untill closer to xmas and it looks like evryone with them is in QLD I am really not a fan of shipping birds but I guess if you have to........... aparently the greys are coming down in price ...only 3G now LOL jeez pocket change LOL I want a B&G macaw apparently conures are like mini macaws yay all the fun 1/2 the mess###kellie
INDI
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject:

OK, to answer some of your questions - YES the conure can be loud BUT so can my indian ringnecks, major mitchell and galah emb I HONESTLY have found that the Major Mitchell and the conure to be amazing 'watch birds', the best security alarm you could ever get...signlol every bird has its moment as far as a screech every now and then but really I don't find mine to be a constant screecher AT ALL - and i'm being honest Applause As far as how my conure is with the other birds - my biggest problem is not the conure but the indian ringnecks, geez they can be pains in the butts, for some reason they are attracted to "LS's" tail and will pull on it, swing on it Shame on you . "LS" gets along amazingly with the dogs and just adores them. Furniture damage - nil angel maybe i've been lucky. Conures do like to chew and that's why it's good to have plenty of toys and 'chewable' toys made out of SAFE woods for them to chew. I make and sell PVC play gyms and stands that are wrapped in natural jute, these have toys and all good stuff on them so all the birds when they have their time out will play and entertain themselves on that.

(I have had to use "LS" as the name here for my conure as I don't think i'd be allowed to actually print what HER name truly is Shocked ) It's all good tho' and she's adorable <v>

I'm on another bird forum which is basically made up of Americans and they have all the macaws, greys, amazons and plenty of them have all the different conures as well, I will post a thread on there asking their opinion on a Sun -v- GC as far as noise as a matter of curiosity and YES conures are actually known as a 'mini macaw', that being they are the smallest of the macaws.

If you didn't want to wait till nearly xmas time and you'd consider a sun I told ya there is a young sun being reared now....it could be flown from Tassie to Melbourne in the minimum of time. Cheaper price if you take it now and finish off the rearing (the bird is weaning now) and is not dna'd OR for extra money take the bird when fully weaned and dna'd. The bird came from Adelaide so there are breeders there. I've been told that there is someone very near me that is breeding conures (suns I believe) and they started hatching last weekend, i'm trying to find out more about that.

I'll attach a pic of one of the PVC combo's I just recently made for someone - it's basically a 3 in 1, the stand comes off the top so you can take it from room to room, the people were going to purchase a table to sit the bird cage on of a night so I came up with the idea of a base (legs) that the play stand will attached to but then when it's off they simply put a piece of timber, laminate as a tabletop (with non-slip material under so it doesn't slide off if accidently knocked), when the stand is attached to the base (legs) it converts to a playgym.

I'm not sure if I am able to attach more than 1 pic to a post so I may have to post 2 other times :oops: just so you get the idea. I am just finishing a HUUUUUUUUGE playgym that is going over to California to one of the girls on the other bird forum, she has 2 African Greys, an Amazon and an Umbrella Too, the gym has been made to accommodate them and must say - it's turned out quiet awesome Wink

mc7.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  133.41 KB
 Viewed:  277 Time(s)

mc7.jpg

INDI
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject:

Obviously I can only post 1 attachment per post - sorry wall

Here's another of the 'combo'

mc15.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  129.72 KB
 Viewed:  254 Time(s)

mc15.jpg

INDI
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject:

d'oh! last one - the other play stands I make are this style but are smaller, more a tabletop/travelmate type play stand but this one however was made slightly larger and longer than the norm to turn it into a combo playgym as well.

Wink

mc17.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  124.21 KB
 Viewed:  270 Time(s)

mc17.jpg

Allen
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject:

I have two pairs of the Pyruraha type species of conure (the small ones like green cheeks), black caps and painteds. A very close friend has Green Cheeks in an aviary. I cannot help you with info about breeders in Australia as I am in South Africa.

These little conures are fantastic aviary birds and based on what I have read and seen with my own birds, the will make wonderfull pets. They are naturally curious and generally fearless, confident and cocky liitle birds. They tame very easily in an aviary and parent reared aviary birds will quickly learn to take food from your fingers. They are playfull, breed easily and over here are very reasonably priced. They are not very noisy especially compared to the larger conures. They can talk a bit but should be kept for their personality and not their talking ability.

Our black caps have bred and we hand rear the babies to sell as pets. I have not had any negative feedback at all from the babies that we have sold.

Green cheeks are probably the most affordable of the conures but are sometimes difficult to find. They suffer from the problem of being to cheap for breeders to justify breeding them as most breeders would rather breed more exspensive varieties.
Allen
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject:

I wrote my previous post yesterday but forgot to submit.but only pressed submit today.

I have breeding pairs of Suns, Jendays and Gold Cap conures and have kept a Jenday in the house as a pet for five years. Jendays and suns are extremely close to each other in terms of habits, looks and temprement. In fact they hybradise very easily, so look out for the "Sundays" on sale in pet shops as either Suns or Jendays.

Suns and Jendays are great alarms and watchdogs. They are great birds, highly intelligent and very cuddly. They like to be touched far more than Greys and Amazons but not quite as much as Cockatoos. My favourite of the three above is the Gold Cap, it is mostly green unlike the gold Sun green and gold Jenday. The Gold Caps that I have are quiter and the babies are far more robust and tough than the other two species. Maybe my pairs just come from better stock than my Jendays and Suns. Have a look at the Conure articles at VOREN.COM. Some of them are very usefull and interesting.

By the way, Suns only get their full Gold colouration after a year or so, youngsters are a lot more Green.

A tip, if you keep any species of conure as a pet, give it a nest box (cockatiel size) to sleep in, inside its cage. Try it, they love it and within a couple of days your bird will be happily sleeping in his box and you won't have to cover the cage at night.

Before you decide to buy a Sun conure, find someone who has one and go and hear its voice and remember that your pet will scream like that for attention at first light, feeding time and when you have visitors and when your kids are playing nearby. My wife will not tolerate one in the house for long but she loves the "little" conures like Black Caps, Green Cheeks and Painteds as they are much quieter. The Pianteds are the most colourfull and beautifull of the smaller conures and would be well worth some extra money if you can find a youngster for sale.

There is an article by a Green Cheek pet owner in the Jan 2005 edition of the UK magazine PARROTS that I could scan and email to you if you send a PM to me with your email address.
ksue
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject:

Thanks guys for your info...I think the green check is the was to go for us the suns are beautiful and stunning but I think the noise is going to be a factor while were in this house (and we will be for a few years) thanks for that allen I will pm you with my email.####kellie
INDI the play stands look great but what are they made of?????
Kaka-riki
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:53 pm    Post subject:

Kellie,
If u send me a PM I will put u in touch with a Green Cheek breeder here in Adelaide who handraises his birds. I am sure he could supply u with an excellent bird when u are ready.
INDI
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:31 pm    Post subject:

Hi, the play stands and gyms are made of PVC pipe and wrapped in 100% natural jute for grip and appearance.

I also found today that there is a number of GC breeders around the bottom end of Aussie rather than up north where you first mentioned. If you are coming to Tassie in a couple of weeks, I just tonight found out there is a GC breeder down here - ya never know you might be able to take one home with you on the boat Laughing

Parrotdragon555

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject:

This is Olive one of my rescued Maroon Belly conures.......we've reached an agreement on the dress code thing. I won't stress is she's happy! Seems to be working for us.
After many, many remedies (obviously none of which worked!) we're just going for that 'naturist' look. :oops:
Olive was an aviary bird, no longer wanted so, dumped as so many birds have been, with me. She is an awesome little bird, not loud at all (well maybe just a few minutes a day!) she's not much into toys but loves to play 'dancing' games with anyone who will participate. <v>

Olive #2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  34.74 KB
 Viewed:  250 Time(s)

Olive #2.jpg

ksue
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:08 pm    Post subject:

oh shes gorgess.....nothing so trendy as the plucked chicken look ...LOL seriously I didnt know they were prone to plucking....is this somthing i should be aware of......Is the only diff between the maroon belly and the green cheek the colouring or is one louder than the other......I have heard the GC aret too much louder than a tiel in full song (not as high pitched i was told)...She doesnt like toys ...I thought they were big chewers....my kakariki doesnt really get into toys....loves to peel bark of trees branches though####kellie
INDI
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:13 am    Post subject:

Well I think your precious Olive just looks like she's 'too sexy for her feathers', you do good with your rescues angel

Parrotdragon555

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject:

Kellie......I've never seen a green cheek and know absolutely nothing about them in comparision to the maroon bellies so I can be of no help there.
As for the plucking, I know of two other MB's that pluck although I haven't seen them personally.
As for Olive I have had her for about 4-5 years now, I have no idea how old she is but did a bit of local detective work among 'bird' people here and was told that she could possible be one of a number of birds that were originally smuggled into NZ about 10 years ago! :?: If she was one of these birds then I could see that trauma being enough to blame the plucking on.
I have no idea if this is true or not.....she remains to this day a precious mystery!

Indi....thank you. You know the Dragon is a soft touch when it comes to the rejects! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> General Non Kakariki Discussion All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: